News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Changes at Deal (Royal Cinque Ports)
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 01:42:17 PM »
Looking forward to getting there next August, nice to have as a reciprocal club
Reciprocal from where?

Royal Canberra 😀
Aye, I was able to visit several Aussie courses via my RCPGC membership. Very sweet!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »
I call any course that will accept me to play with a letter saying I am a "Royal" club member or whatever as a "Huckaby."  I've turned down so many Huckaby's over the past 40+ years that my head swims.......
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 04:47:15 PM »
Rich not sure what your point is, you don’t agree with reciprocal arrangements or clubs being honoured by the Head of State?
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 09:42:09 AM »
Mark - I had the same question about Rich’s comment. What’s the problem with a club having reciprocal arrangements with like-minded clubs? Plus, being part of the “Royal” network is not unlike clubs that share a “brotherhood” with other clubs sharing a common designer like Braid, Fowler or MacKenzie.
Perhaps he was just making some kind of obscure inside-joke stab at Huckaby.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »

Mark, Mike,

as a long standing member and herald for 'ROYAL' Dornoch I suspect his comments might be a little 'tongue in cheek'. :)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
M&M

It may just be me, but I have played many "Royal" clubs and do not find any of them to be "like-minded" other than being populated with golfers.  In fact, my observation is that the more "Royal" a club becomes the less "like-minded" are their members.

Rich

PS--I have no probs with Mr. Huckaby.  He is a GCA icon.
PPS--I do not think that the purveyor of "Royal" status (i.e. Head of State Betty Windsor) knows or cares a thing about golf, other than that it keeps Prince Andrew occupied.  At least our Head of State can golf his ball.

rfg
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »

PPS--I do not think that the purveyor of "Royal" status (i.e. Head of State Betty Windsor) knows or cares a thing about golf, other than that it keeps Prince Andrew occupied.  At least our Head of State can golf his ball.

rfg

You must be very proud of the Don ;D

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »
4 clubs have been granted Royal status since the Queen took the throne.
Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 05:08:53 PM »

rfg

Jon

I'm not proud of anybody other than myself and the rest of my family (of whom none are of the Trumporleone family).
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Rich Goodale

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
4 clubs have been granted Royal status since the Queen took the throne.

So what?
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »

rfg

Jon

I'm not proud of anybody other than myself and the rest of my family (of whom none are of the Trumporleone family).

well that's the rest of the world f$*"ed then ::) . Can this thread get anymore bizarre???

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 09:09:34 PM »
Bizarre indeed!!!

What the Hell is going on... Rihc is starting to sound like Kavanaugh. :o

Rich Goodale

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 11:34:28 PM »
Bizarre indeed!!!

What the Hell is going on... Rihc is starting to sound like Kavanaugh. :o

Thanks for the compliment, Miek!!

See you at the Dixie Cup. ;)

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Niall C

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »
Yes, Royal Tarlair v Royal St Georges, that would be an interesting match up  ;D

Mark – going completely off topic but are you sure that Her Majesty was the one who conferred royal patronage and not one of her family ? I don’t have Scott MacPhersons book but I’m fairly sure he outlines who granted what and to whom and it wasn’t all the reigning monarch.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2018, 02:41:10 PM »
Yes, Royal Tarlair v Royal St Georges, that would be an interesting match up  ;D

Mark – going completely off topic but are you sure that Her Majesty was the one who conferred royal patronage and not one of her family ? I don’t have Scott MacPhersons book but I’m fairly sure he outlines who granted what and to whom and it wasn’t all the reigning monarch.

Niall

Big hitter, Her Madge.
Give the Lama a game. Here’s the list:
http://www.golfalot.com/golf-courses/royal-golf-clubs-2776.aspx

F.

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2018, 03:14:45 PM »
There used to be two Royal clubs in Singapore. Initially Royal Singapore and later the Royal Island Club which ultimately merged to become the Singapore Island Country Club, a club with two different sites on one small island.
Wasn’t there a Royal Hong Kong as well?
Atb

Rich Goodale

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2018, 03:31:26 PM »

Niall

Big hitter, Her Madge.
Give the Lama a game. Here’s the list:
http://www.golfalot.com/golf-courses/royal-golf-clubs-2776.aspx

F.

If one looks closely at the list, you can see that all Royals are rubber stamped by the reigning Monarch, but a few also have "Patrons" (e.g. Duchess of Sutherland at Dornoch).

That being said I wonder how Royal Belfast and Royal Portrush got stuck into the England column and Royal County Down is with Ireland.  Does this maybe be a precursor as to whether Brexit is going to be hard or soft or just completely f***ed up? :-\
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2018, 04:44:58 PM »
There used to be two Royal clubs in Singapore. Initially Royal Singapore and later the Royal Island Club which ultimately merged to become the Singapore Island Country Club, a club with two different sites on one small island.
Wasn’t there a Royal Hong Kong as well?
Atb

There was indeed a Royal Hong Kong Thomas. Nice enough courses on top of a hill with a great view. It was 30 years ago when I played it so no idea what the situation is now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back