GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Golf near Rockland, Maine - Follow up w/ Pictures

(1/6) > >>

PCCraig:
Found out over the weekend that my in-laws are planning on renting a house at Samoset in Maine next summer. It appears we'll be up there for a week or two next July.

The golf looks pretty but not overly interesting from an architectural standpoint?

My knowledge of golf in Maine is extremely limited. For those that are more familiar with golf around Rockport, is there anything within a half a day's trip that is a must see? From old threads, it appears there are a ton of cool courses to check out (North Haven?) but I know it's a big state and fairly spread out.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

David Grady:
 "pretty but not overly interesting from an architectural standpoint" would be a charitable description. Played 36 there a few weeks ago and was incredibly disappointed. Some spectacular views, few decent holes. I think I drove my playing partners nuts questioning the merits of various holes. Prime example is the par five 12th. The fairway is probably 60 yards wide at 220 yards of the tee, but narrows to 10! at 260, courtesy of a boulder and bunker. From there, it widens to 20-25 yards for the last 240 yards, with both sides of the fairway shrouded in trees. It's hard not to see how the course was expanded to 18 holes at some point and they found land wherever they could. Several odd walk/drives between greens and tees don't help.

The views could be even better if they clear cut the ones on the cliff line. I presume there must be some environmental requirement preventing it.

Considering the amount of rain they received over the prior few days, the course was in good shape. The greens were surprisingly firm.

If you have 10 months to plan, I'd advise you use them to arrange some times on other courses in the area.

Billsteele:
Michael Moore is "Mr. Maine Golf." Hopefully, he will chime in. Mike Sweeney is "Mr. Maine Golf In Waiting." He may have some ideas also. However, depending upon your travel plans, Cape Arundel is an absolute joy. The Travis greens are an absolute blast and it is such a wonderful place that I can't recommend it enough. It is about a two hour twenty minute drive from Rockland...but well worth it.

Conley Hurst:
In Rockport (several miles up the coast from Rockland), there is a really cool nine-hole course called Megunticook GC. It's a neat piece of property with views of the bay, a few blind shots over fascinating boulder formations, and a beautiful, open-air clubhouse. I think it's private but very much worth checking out for a late afternoon game.

Christian Newton:
I will leave the authoritative replies to others, but I play in that neck of the woods every summer so I will give you my two cents:

North Haven is worth the poke. I also like the front nine of Rockland Golf Club, which is much older than the back nine, and much better. Kebo Valley on Mount Desert Island is two hours away and engaging.

If you really like to drive, note that the high GCA standard-bearers Cabot Links and Cabot Cliffs are 10 hours away by highway. You could be out, play both and be back in three days. I know, I've done it!

Cheers,
Christian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version