GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Sand Valley 3 "will be just over 6,000 yards and par will be 67 or 68"

(1/34) > >>

Tim Gavrich:
Oh, and Tom Doak will design it  ;D

Mike [Keiser], with sons Michael and Chris, will be building a third 18-hole course at Sand Valley and as of last night, confirmed [Tom] Doak has been hired to build it.

"I keep trying to slow them down," says Keiser, in reference to his sons and the pace of new courses they are setting in Wisconsin. "But I’m not winning this battle."

The Keisers opened the first course at Sand Valley, built by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw, in 2017. This summer, they opened Mammoth Dunes by David McLay Kidd, and the Sand Box, a par-3 course by Coore and Crenshaw (with significant input from Jim Craig and the Keiser boys). They had routings for a third 18-hole course from Doak, Gil Hanse and Mike DeVries, and there were votes for all of the above within the extended Keiser camp—Josh Lesnik of Kemper Sports included.

Doak came out as the leader of this smaller pack with the proposal of a shorter course. Which is to say, it will be just over 6,000 yards and par will be 67 or 68. The complete opposite to what is aptly named Mammoth Dunes.

"We are excited to build what Tom has wanted to build his entire career, which is a course that throws par and distance out the window," says Michael Keiser, 37, and who has lived in the Nekoosa area now for three years. "My dad has always focused on fun and playability, and this routing expands upon that theme."

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/tom-doak-sand-valley

John Kavanaugh:
I hope it is also 15% less expensive.

BHoover:

--- Quote from: John Kavanaugh on September 05, 2018, 08:49:47 AM ---I hope it is also 15% less expensive.

--- End quote ---
I have to give credit where credit is due — this is brilliant. Well done.

Peter Pallotta:

--- Quote from: John Kavanaugh on September 05, 2018, 08:49:47 AM ---I hope it is also 15% less expensive.

--- End quote ---
I think 15% less wide would be better.
Money is just money, after all.

Tim Gavrich:
I think this could be a paradigm-shifting course. A noteworthy, brand-new layout with a par under 70 should help mold people's perspectives because while a lot of us architecture nerds visit the Sand Valleys of the world, a lot of traveling golfers aren't as curious as we are.

People will initially scoff at the notion of playing a "short" course until they realize how much fun they're having, and look down at their scorecard and see a 7 on the front of their score, rather than an 8. They'll also appreciate that a shorter course means an easier 36-hole walking day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version