News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Royal Worlington & Newmarket (Add On)
« on: July 17, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »
What would the Group recommend as a second round if I was to play Royal Worlington & Newmarket in the AM for an upcoming trip later this year?

Thanks.

Niall C

Re: Royal Worlington & Newmarket (Add On)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:20:31 PM »
Steve

I don't mean to sound flippant when I say you want to make sure you go round it at least twice ie 18 holes. It's certainly worth it if you haven't been there before. I'd also take a bit of time to stop and have a quiet drink and take in the ambience of the place.

I'm sure that wasn't exactly what you were asking but I'll leave it to others to recommend nearby courses.

Niall

Steve_Roths

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 12:31:25 PM »
I am in the boat where I want to see everything I can once.

So, I was thinking, wrongly that I would tee off at 8.  Be done at 9:30 and drive 90 minutes and see somewhere else.

I don't drink so I would probably not take that opportunity that you suggested.  I'm kind of boring in that regard.

Thank you for replying though.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 12:36:19 PM »
While I agree with Niall that two rounds is the way to go with the Sacred 9, if you are willing to play only 9 and jump in the car for 90 minutes, then Hunstanton and Brancaster are two prime courses to play. However, much depends on where you are going afterwards etc.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »
Steve

Happy to respond. I played the course after what seemed like a 5 day camel ride down from Scotland but in reality was about 7 or 8 hours in a car. Despite that I couldn't wait to go round a second time. I suspect you would kick yourself later if you didn't. You should also manage to do 18 holes in just over a couple of hours at that time of day, I'd have thought.

The clubhouse is quite small but charming and has a nice setting looking out to the course, so whether you are spending 10/15 mins having a coffee or beer, it would still be worthwhile. For me, there are a few terrific holes but it is the overall ambience of the place that makes it special and I think that's what you want to make sure you savour.

Niall

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 01:12:56 PM »
I am one, like Steve, that likes to see as much as possible but I loved The Sacred 9 and am very happy I had the chance to play it a second time. After losing a tee ball left on the third, I really wanted another go now that I had a better idea of the line... and I promptly lost another ball in the tall grass left.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 02:09:24 PM »

and once again two more candidates for a 'I want to run around like a hare on speed. Am I mad' tour  ::) . Sorry if it sounds a little flippant but if it is a list ticking exercise then hell go for it and just do nine then rush on to next venue. If you really push it you could possibly do 45 holes on three courses in one day and experience not one bit of them.

BUT I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE

if you are taking up the offer of a club that extends it's facilities to you then at least do them and yourselves the curtesy of taking the time to actually experience and enjoy it. Play nine. Have a bacon roll and a coffee then play a second round. You will still have plenty of time to drive to a second course and play a further 18 holes.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »

and once again two more candidates for a 'I want to run around like a hare on speed. Am I mad' tour  ::) . Sorry if it sounds a little flippant but if it is a list ticking exercise then hell go for it and just do nine then rush on to next venue. If you really push it you could possibly do 45 holes on three courses in one day and experience not one bit of them.

BUT I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE

if you are taking up the offer of a club that extends it's facilities to you then at least do them and yourselves the curtesy of taking the time to actually experience and enjoy it. Play nine. Have a bacon roll and a coffee then play a second round. You will still have plenty of time to drive to a second course and play a further 18 holes.
A couple of years ago The Yank and I were due to play the Sacred 9.  He bottled it because the weather forecast was bad.  I turned up, played 45 holes, split by lunch and a chat with the members and absolutely loved it.  Anyone who would arrive, play 9 and drive the best part of 2 hours to play somewhere else would be entirely missing the point of Royal Worlington.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
Suggestion;
When playing 9 holers, on the first trip, play the back tees on the odd numbered holes and the front tees on the even numbered holes. 
On the second trip, reverse that.

How differently does each hole play?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Matt Dawson

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 06:19:58 PM »
Suggestion;
When playing 9 holers, on the first trip, play the back tees on the odd numbered holes and the front tees on the even numbered holes. 
On the second trip, reverse that.

How differently does each hole play?

Not very different at all. At RW&NGC the men's front tees are usually just a few paces ahead of the back tees on most holes, although there are a few new blue competition tees that have stretched it out a bit.

The teeing grounds are just plain patches of grass, often right next to the previous green. The land used is pretty compact, so not really space to have multiple tees with different angles etc. It's pretty rustic but quite delightful. And given that it's not really close to anything else golf-wise, I can't see why you would make the effort to get there and then only play 9 rather than 18 - but chacon a son gout as they say.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 03:17:15 AM »
The Sacred 9 is an absolute joy to play - always grasp the opportunity to play it as many times as you can as you will notice more how good the design is and its quirks some to avoid and others to use.

Matt - have you played Flempton Golf Club which is another 9 holer about 10 miles from Worlington - it looks an interesting course designed by JH Taylor in the early 20th C - http://www.flemptongolfclub.co.uk

Cheers
Ben

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 07:37:33 AM »
You will get a lot better understanding of the course by playing it a second time. Lunch and a treacle tart are also worth sticking around for.
I think you would get better advice on what else to see in the area if you told us where you were coming from and headed to. Near there, Gog Magog looks interesting, though I haven't seen it. However, if you haven't seen Brancaster, go there immediately. Hunstanton is also quite good.

I understand that golf is your priority, but the other thing you might consider doing is spending a few hours in Cambridge and/or Newmarket (especially if you like horse racing).

Steve_Roths

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »
I am taking the group's advice and planning to play the course at least twice.

I will report back and add in a few pics.

Much appreciated.

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
Steve, Steve, Steve, don't get bullied but that bunch. Just play it once and tell them you played twice, they will never know  ;D

Niall

Steve_Roths

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 02:45:06 PM »
No worries no worries.

I did have a follow up for this well traveled group.

New Zealand Golf Club outside London.  Does anyone have an email address for them to arrange play?

I have tried the following website but it never loads  http://www.nzgc.org/.

Thanks.

Daryl David

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 07:10:21 PM »
Give them a call at +44 (0) 1932 345049. I did a few years ago, and they were very accommodating.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 04:43:26 AM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64891.msg1546751.html#msg1546751

is the previous GCA link on Flempton, which does make a super pairing with The Sacred Nine for a day's golf in rural England.

This is generally the driest part of the UK, and has been exceptionally so this summer: the Old Course at Gog Magog has certainly returned to its fast, running, chalk downland origins, and now would be the time to play it if you want to experience the ground game inland...

New Zealand likewise comes hugely recommended, although I have to add my perennial warning to all American GCA friends wanting to play golf around London: the traffic around the M25 (London's beltway) can be horrendous at times, and it almost always takes much, much longer to drive even twenty miles than GoogleMaps might suggest.

Both New Zealand and RW&NGC are smashing examples of quiet, old-school (2-ball) British golf clubs. To that listing I would add both Woking and Huntercombe and, a bit further away towards the Suffolk coast, Aldeburgh. All have been profiled on this site. Anyway, enjoy!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 08:06:34 AM »
Steve,You won't be sorry. Enjoy.DSC06059 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Steve_Roths

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 08:28:55 AM »
John,

Is this picture of RW&N or of New Zealand?

Thanks.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 08:36:03 AM »
Steve,The spectacular 5th at Mildenhall (RW&N). Unfortunately, I haven't seen New Zealand.

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 10:48:57 AM »
John

Can you hire the dogs in the clubhouse ? ;D

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back