GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Short par fives are testing—of the short game!

(1/6) > >>

mike_malone:
I am done with those who want to turn short fives into fours. For all but a small number of golfers they test the short game if well designed.

( I deleted the second part because it has distracted from my original intent— to say that a well designed short five tests the short game and unmaskes those with lesser skills).

V. Kmetz:

--- Quote from: mike_malone on July 15, 2018, 10:52:11 PM ---I am done with those who want to turn short fives into fours. For all but a small number of golfers they test the short game if well designed.

The short shot separates skill levels more than the long shot.

--- End quote ---

Basically, the governing bodies are the ones you want...

I insist the removal of individual hole par will clear the deck of such issues and breath some fresh air into GCA.

In the four skills levels I roughly perceive...

Pro to 2 HCP
3 - 9 HCP
10-18 HCP
18+ HCP...

In my witness, each group hits it nearly the same to within (respectively) 10, 15, 20 and 30 yards of the hole and the separation is "what happens then"...so, I think you've got it right.

cheers  vk

Padraig Dooley:
Recently I took a close look at wedge stats for the PGA Tour. 4 stats in particular 50-75 from fairway and rough and 75-100 yards from fairway and rough.

Tommy Fleetwood was the best from 50-75 yards from the fairway with an average of 4.5 feet but and this is a big but! In 41 rounds he had one shot from this distance! He had a further 2 shots from 50-75 from rough so in 41 rounds he had 3 shots from this distance. Most in this category had less then 10 shots.

Competence from this distance has very little bearing on success on the Tour.

The difference in skill levels is determined more by the long game then short game.

10-20 yards around the green is a skill separator but nowhere near as much as golfers think. 30-120 yards is not that relevant for elite players but very relevant for the average player. The average player has significantly more of these shots.

Thomas Dai:
There's a difference between skill and scoring which ought to be recognised.
After a player has reached a certain level of skill then scoring is mostly a matter of how far the person is physically capable of hitting the ball. Other factors also play a part though, like course management, temperament etc.
atb

Kyle Harris:
If I miss the green on a long par 4 I face the same short shot as I would if I missed the green attempting to reach a Par 5 in two.

Why do I feel like there's some 18th hole at a certain Philadelphia-area golf course agenda here?  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version