News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Why not? Chicago Golf
« on: July 15, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »
Chicago Golf is not built on sand. It is not within three hours of an Ocean nor one hour of a major body of water. It is flat, good old Midwestern farm land. It was not even convenient to Chicago. So why in the past 100+ years has no one built a course that approaches it in quality on similar land?

Ira

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:47:14 PM by Ira Fishman »

Daryl David

Re: Why not? Chicago Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 04:52:39 PM »
So why in the past 100+ years has no one built a course that approaches it in quality?

Bold statement within that question. You might get some argument. Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Shinnecock, Augusta National and Pebble all built in the last 100 years. Oh, and let’s not forget Sand Hills and Pacific Dunes.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 05:12:09 PM »
Lake Michigan isn’t a major body of water?

William_G

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 05:21:29 PM »
Lawsonia Links
It's all about the golf!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »
So why in the past 100+ years has no one built a course that approaches it in quality?

Bold statement within that question. You might get some argument. Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Shinnecock, Augusta National and Pebble all built in the last 100 years. Oh, and let’s not forget Sand Hills and Pacific Dunes.

Every one of those built on sand and/or the ocean except for Augusta which is hardly flat farm land.

Ira

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »
Ira - like the wise old rabbi answered when a student asked why so few found God in modern times: "Because today no one is willing to stoop so low". 
Peter   

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »
Ira - like the wise old rabbi answered when a student asked why so few found God in modern times: "Because today no one is willing to stoop so low". 
Peter   

Wonderful.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 12:04:45 PM »
Hmm,

I will nominate Wine Valley.

- Mostly flat/gentle sloping
- Not built on sand.
- Not convenient to anywhere really
- No major body of water anywhere near it, unless you're counting the Columbia river at 20+ miles away
- Is typically farm land for either wheat or alcohol related plants.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
Ira,

I had similar thoughts walking around at the tournament trying to figure out what made it so special. I came to the conclusion that its a large, almost perfectly square property that gave Raynor total flexibility to lay out whatever hole configuration he wanted and execute the templates perfectly. That piece of land could never be available in a major metropolitan area within the last 70 years. I would argue it is convenient to Chicago.

Another thought was - if you take away the allure of its history and exclusivity and someone built that exact same course on the same land, would we even give it a mention? Non golf course nerds have to see that course and think "whats the big deal?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:40:47 PM by Ryan Hillenbrand »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 01:23:21 PM »
Another thought was - if you take away the allure of its history and exclusivity and someone built that exact same course on the same land, would we even give it a mention? None golf course nerds have to see that course and think "whats the big deal?

Don't know what the last sentence means, but IMO, age, pedigree, the exclusivity of around 100 or so members with no unaccompanied play, just barely enough exposure to whet the appetite of the aficionados and opinion-makers, the highly uncommon, provocative shaping and presentation, and its location in one of the wealthiest areas for the better part of two centuries probably account for much of its standing.

Why has CGC not been duplicated?  Maybe because gca has trended toward less contrived, more natural/"minimalist" construction and design?  Fazio gets criticized here regularly because, allegedly, his courses all tend to look and play similarly.  Yet Raynor lays out the templates repeatedly and he is a genius.  Sure, there are many Fazio-like courses and comparatively few in the Raynor style, so though the latter's courses are very old, they are novel.

And perhaps the developer today has to be more concerned with filling the membership or customer base to support his financial structure.   I see no reason why a CGC-like course could not be developed in any number of places, including Dallas.  Perhaps a well-heeled enthusiast will come forward and make it happen.  I wouldn't bet the farm that such a course would approach CGC's acclaim in his or hers lifetime.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 01:30:17 PM »

Another thought was - if you take away the allure of its history and exclusivity and someone built that exact same course on the same land, would we even give it a mention? None golf course nerds have to see that course and think "whats the big deal?

Ah...yes... ;D

https://arcadiabluffs.com/the-south-course

and, uh, yes.... ::)

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/golf/golf-courses/old-macdonald

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »

Don't know what the last sentence means, but IMO, age, pedigree, the exclusivity of around 100 or so members with no unaccompanied play, just barely enough exposure to whet the appetite of the aficionados and opinion-makers, the highly uncommon, provocative shaping and presentation, and its location in one of the wealthiest areas for the better part of two centuries probably account for much of its standing.

Why has CGC not been duplicated?  Maybe because gca has trended toward less contrived, more natural/"minimalist" construction and design?  Fazio gets criticized here regularly because, allegedly, his courses all tend to look and play similarly.  Yet Raynor lays out the templates repeatedly and he is a genius.  Sure, there are many Fazio-like courses and comparatively few in the Raynor style, so though the latter's courses are very old, they are novel.

And perhaps the developer today has to be more concerned with filling the membership or customer base to support his financial structure.   I see no reason why a CGC-like course could not be developed in any number of places, including Dallas.  Perhaps a well-heeled enthusiast will come forward and make it happen.  I wouldn't bet the farm that such a course would approach CGC's acclaim in his or hers lifetime.

Lou - meant to write "non" golf course nerds. And I think we are in agreement? The intangibles of Chicago Golf add to its lofty rankings.

Ian - both of those courses are aided by their location near Lake Michigan and the Pacific, to Ira's point.  And I'd be shocked if the 2nd Arcadia Bluffs cracks a top 100 list. If Mike Keiser did it as a 100 member private club, maybe.

William_G

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 03:23:54 PM »
similar place is Mountain Lake, love that
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »
if only Raynor was still alive  ??? ???
It's all about the golf!

Peter Flory

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 06:26:18 PM »
Wow- those ground level pics from Arcadia South are looking really good. 

It does seem to be the first course in a very long while (as far as I know) to copy that Raynor/ CBM style. 

Ira Fishman

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 07:47:19 PM »
I am not sure that the reluctance among post-Golden Age architects to use templates fully answers the question. Oakmont seems (I am limited by seeing only on TV) to have more movement than Chicago Golf, but it essentially is farmland too and does not use templates. Perhaps the answer is a matter of available land, economics of course development, and taste, but I would have thought that someone in the last 100 years could have taken ordinary, non-dramatic, non-sand based land to create something truly special. Trinity Forest appears to be one attempt. Perhaps The Golf Club but it is difficult tell from photos what kind of land Mr. Dye had available.

Ira

William_G

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 08:00:33 PM »

It does seem to be the first course in a very long while (as far as I know) to copy that Raynor/ CBM style.

love it, will have to travel a bit for that, LOL
It's all about the golf!

John Crowley

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »

love it, will have to travel a bit for that, LOL
These pix confirm my need to visit the Western Michigan neighborhood. Was at Dunes Club a couple weeks ago but didn’t have time to proceed North.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »

An I wrong, or was the first question mostly about building good courses on flat, non descript land, more than using templates, or whatever?

There have sure been many (too many, at least in my portfolio) built on flat land.  My theory on why no more great ones?

This was the first 18 hole course in America.  Maybe they didn't know better than to pick a property with some roll?  Since then, I think most clubs aspiring to greatness have at least tried to find better property, since most of the GA guys wrote that it took good property to make a great course, albeit, not hard to build a good one on average property.  The trend to great property may have abated for a while, but has been back in force for the last 20 years, no?

Not to mention, there aren't too many places quite as flat as Chicago!  Florida, but all those courses were built to support residential first.  Some are ranked quite high, like Indian Creek, no?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ted Sturges

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 04:20:38 PM »
The Golf Club, New Albany, OH

William_G

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »
The Golf Club, New Albany, OH

+1, great place
It's all about the golf!

George Freeman

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 06:02:48 PM »
While I don't agree with all of Ira's requirements for this exercise, I do agree that it is a good question and it's worth pondering... 

Food for thought:

Post 1960 courses in Golf Magazine's US Top 100 list below (listed in ranked order).  I crossed out the ones that in my opinion don't fit Ira's requirements (including "farmland-ish" properties), based on playing experience and/or from pictures.  I haven't played many of these, so feel free to correct or challenge this list. -
Sand Hills / Pacific Dunes / Friar's Head / Kiawah - Ocean / Whistling Straights / Muirfield Village / TPC Sawgrass / Bandon Dunes / The Golf Club / Ballyneal / Harbour Town / Streamsong Red / Old Macdonald / Old Sandwich / Bandon Trails / Wade Hampton / The Honors / Streamsong Blue / Spyglass / Sebonac / Rock Creek / Shadow Creek / Nanea / Chambers Bay / MPCC - Shore / Gozzer Ranch / Trump National Bedminster / Hazeltine / Boston GC / Calusa Pines / Trump Doral / Blackwolf Run / Crooked Stick

Based on my limited knowledge, there aren't many courses on that list situated on "good old Midwestern farmland."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:21:13 PM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Freeman

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 06:13:07 PM »
My apologies for the silly formatting.  For some reason it won't let me put those in list form...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 06:20:00 PM »

[font=]Kiawah, Whistling Straits, TPC, Harbor Town, Streamsong and Shadow Creek were all definitely very flat sights and are arguably great courses, maybe even greater than CGC.  They (mostly Pete Dye) just didn't leave them flat.[/font]

[font=]So, maybe one answer is "earthmoving". CGC was early in CBM's career. Later, he moved a lot of earth on certain projects, too.[/font]
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

William_G

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 06:27:12 PM »
Wolf Point  8)
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back