News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Chicago Golf Club
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 09:08:24 PM »
All I know is that the golf course looks fantastic.   I know of the club, being an original USGA member, but I never knew how amazing the course is.   I could certainly be wrong, but some holes seem to have a bit of the old steeplechase paradigm present, based solely on what I've seen on the USGA's website.    I love squared off greens!

I can't wait to be able to see it on TV.

PS - They certainly seem to value their privacy.  I don't think they even have a website  ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:10:09 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Jim Hoak

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 11:02:11 AM »
This site is often quick to criticize the USGA—sometimes unfairly in my opinion.
How about some nice words for an exceptional job at the inaugural Women’s Open?  Maybe overdue, but a great job nonetheless.

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 05:58:03 PM »
This site is often quick to criticize the USGA—sometimes unfairly in my opinion.
How about some nice words for an exceptional job at the inaugural Women’s Open?  Maybe overdue, but a great job nonetheless.

+1-It was great watching the tournament on FS1. The course/clubhouse look incredible. With the eagle at the end by Inkster game on even though Davies will be a tough front runner.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 06:00:43 PM by Tim Martin »

BHoover

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
Am I the only one who, when I see Joanne Carner blazing up a heater, immediately imagines her saying to PeeWee Herman:

“Be sure ‘n tell ‘em Large Marge sent ya!”

William_G

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »

I was there all day yesterday, and despite the photo of Mike Davis and his "welcome" to Chicago Golf Club piece on the fist page inside the well thought program, I think the whole event is a home run/grand slam for everyone.

The course is just fantastic and would exceed anyone's expectations, a real second shot course where the greens are awesome, big and bold. Yet the fairways are super wide and playing 6000 yards at par 73....max for members is 6700 and par 70.

It's the perfect site for the event and having theses ladies out at such a special place for their inaugural event is perfect.

What a great place and great event conceived by the USGA and that's where the credit for the event ends. As the USGA didn't do much here except put on the event.

Less is more from the USGA at such a great place is the best recipe given such special ingredients.

Cheers
It's all about the golf!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
More well deserved kudos for the USGA.   Even the post tournament ceremony had an MC that actually knew the competitors' names (unlike some previous USGA messes)

BHoover

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »
I tried to watch the Senior Women’s Open and Chicago GC. But ultimately, I found the Scottish Open and Gullane GC much more interesting and compelling viewing.

If I could choose to play either, I’d go with Gullane all the time. That is not intended as a slight against CGC. I just thought Gullane looked like a hell of a lot of fun. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:49:01 PM by BHoover »

William_G

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 09:16:52 PM »
I tried to watch the Senior Women’s Open and Chicago GC. But ultimately, I found the Scottish Open and Gullane GC much more interesting and compelling viewing.

If I could choose to play either, I’d go with Gullane all the time. That is not intended as a slight against CGC. I just thought Gullane looked like a hell of a lot of fun.

Having been to Gullane, I'd say the TV coverage was an absolute terrible representation of what the course is like to play, total garbage, and as such was unwatchable, might as well have been playing on the moon :(

the coverage of CGC was respectable and a great showcase of Raynor golf

cheers
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:37:23 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

John Foley

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 11:34:18 PM »
Spent the day there on Friday and the course was just tremendous. The movement of the land was awesome and anyone who claims it's a flat site is way off base.

The confluence of the 12th & 8th green along w/ the 9th & 13th tee was spectacular. Could have stood there all day and watched people try and figure out the Eden to the back right pin.
Integrity in the moment of choice

John Crowley

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 05:46:35 PM »

Brian,
Yes, Gullane (played many times) is fun but Chicago Golf is well beyond fun. My one day there (36 holes) was fabulous (I played very well). The course is so unique and the feeling of solitude while on it was one of my peak golf experiences.
Cheers,
J

William_G

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 09:49:09 PM »
John,

CGC is a place where many people can play very well due to it's lack of yardage.

Yet the greens, the bunkers and long fescue are all challenges..

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:52:16 AM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

John Crowley

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »
John,

CGC is a place where many people can play very well due to it's lack of yardage.

Yet the greens, the bunkers and long fescue are all challenges..

Cheers
Gray,
Thanks for the clarification.
Right, it’s all about getting it in the hole in the fewest, no matter the length.
Best,
John

BHoover

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 10:34:48 AM »

Brian,
Yes, Gullane (played many times) is fun but Chicago Golf is well beyond fun. My one day there (36 holes) was fabulous (I played very well). The course is so unique and the feeling of solitude while on it was one of my peak golf experiences.
Cheers,
J

All I can say is that I found the Scottish Open infinitely more interesting to watch than the Senior Women’s Open. Based on that alone, I’d go with Gullane. But that’s just me.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:14:18 PM by BHoover »

Paul OConnor

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »
"All I can say is that I found the Scottish Open infinitely more interesting to watch than the Senior Women’s Open. Based on that alone, I’d go with Gullane. But that’s just me b"

BHoover, I agree.  Old ladies playing 330 yard par fours and 480 yard par 5's with 100 yard wide fairways and Laura Davies winning by 10 shots is not particularly compelling golf.  CB Macdonald, architecture, blah, blah, blah.  This event was a huge snooze fest. 

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 02:07:36 PM »
"All I can say is that I found the Scottish Open infinitely more interesting to watch than the Senior Women’s Open. Based on that alone, I’d go with Gullane. But that’s just me b"

BHoover, I agree.  Old ladies playing 330 yard par fours and 480 yard par 5's with 100 yard wide fairways and Laura Davies winning by 10 shots is not particularly compelling golf.  CB Macdonald, architecture, blah, blah, blah.  This event was a huge snooze fest.

With a nod to the cynical viewpoint above, I think the comparison between the two is absurd.

25 year old men playing in Scotland versus 60 year old women playing in the US...?...come on, fellas, how can you even make that analogous?

Now, if you value GCA and have heard about CGC for years but have never been fortunate enough to play it, the USGA event afforded a glimpse of a US masterpiece on national TV unseen since the 2007 Walker Cup.

If you are seriously trying to compare the quality of golf, then you seriously need to get some perspective... ;D [size=78%]...[/size]

[/size]Me...?...I was watching the senior men at Exmoor on Chicago's north shore.[size=78%]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:21:56 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

Paul OConnor

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 02:40:11 PM »
"I was watching the senior men at Exmoor on Chicago's north shore."

Another snooze fest! 

Maybe the USGA could have just broadcast drone flyovers and iconic pictures of an empty Chicago Golf, that might be enough to satisfy the cravings of those longing for a view of the beloved masterpiece.  The bit of telecast I saw made the place look dead flat, wide open, and not particularly interesting, and the competitors didn't add much spice to the show. 

BHoover was commenting on the entertainment value of the two events, and I agreed with him, that the action at Gullane was far superior to that in Wheaton.   

BHoover

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »
I also was saying that I would rather play Gullane based on what I saw of both courses during the broadcasts.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 06:05:20 PM »
"I also was saying that I would rather play Gullane based on what I saw of both courses during the broadcasts."

BHoover, I respect what you thought by seeing the broadcasts, but as someone who has played both, there is no comparison.  Chicago Golf is a masterpiece, and a treasure to US golf.  Gullane is a nice Scottish course, worth playing if you are ever there, but not remotely in the same league as CGC.  Others who have played both, please comment.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:09:09 AM by Jim Hoak »

BHoover

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »
"I also was saying that I would rather play Gullane based on what I saw of both courses during the broadcasts."

BHoover, I respect what you thought by seeing the broadcasts, but as someone who has played both, there is no comparison.  Chicago Golf is a masterpiece, and a treasure to US golf.  Gullane is a nice Scottish course, worth playing if you are ever there, but not remotely in the same league as GGC.  Others who have played both, please comment.
This is my opinion. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. But it’s my opinion.

William_G

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2018, 12:45:36 AM »

BHoover, I respect what you thought by seeing the broadcasts, but as someone who has played both, there is no comparison.  Chicago Golf is a masterpiece, and a treasure to US golf.  Gullane is a nice Scottish course, worth playing if you are ever there, but not remotely in the same league as GGC.  Others who have played both, please comment.
This is my opinion. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. But it’s my opinion.

knowing yourself is an important first step to life and living whoever you are, well done  ;D

loved Gullane and CGC both in person

broadcast of Gullane was  zero, could have been anywhere, broadcast of CGC was at least a 1, LOL

cheers
It's all about the golf!

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2018, 08:48:31 AM »
"I was watching the senior men at Exmoor on Chicago's north shore."

Another snooze fest! 

Hardly.
Love seeing courses on TV where I have actually played. Or, better yet, competed in tournaments. Just highlights how really good these guys are.

Our views are different. You seem to covet the game over the course. That's cool.
While you were watching the John Deere Classic at TPC of Whogivesashit, others preferred seeing real architecture on TV. Love that there were choices on that Sunday.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »
BHoover, I'm not disputing your right to have the opinion you have, but I thought it might be helpful to hear from me or others who have actually played both courses.  Seeing something only on television can be very misleading.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2018, 01:42:00 PM »
I’ve played CGC many times, often in the company of an amateur player who has won many national and international titles. The property is gently rolling with some amazing savannah-like vistas. The greens are huge and the angle of attack into virtually hole can be quite challenging. If green speeds get north of 12, the greens are very demanding. The native grassed areas are omnipresent and provide a serene landscape.

As for overall difficulty, CGC wouldn’t provide much of a test to professionals, but it was a terrific host for the Walker Cup. As for the Sr. Women’s event, the championship wasn’t all that watchable, but it was a real pleasure to look at the historic venue on television.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back