News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Kyle Harris is posted New
« on: July 04, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »
Brad Faxon once commented to me that a firm 6,200 yard course was more dynamic, interesting and potentially challenging than a soft one 1,000 yards longer. That pretty much sums up the importance of a Green Keeper! Long after the architect has left, how a course plays largely determines the enjoyment it provides. This month's Feature Interview is with everyone's favorite 35 year-old cerebral Green Keeper, Kyle Harris.

If ever you want to appreciate how much you have to learn, talk to Kyle or any Green Keeper for that matter. I remember the interview we did with Chris Haspell at Castle Stuart who had his own vernacular and way of looking at things. Kyle is similar.

Here are some quotes from Kyle that make my head hurt if I think too long:

• The negative space chosen by the architect speaks just as much as the golf space.
  • Shapers and architects see and think vastly different things even when working on the same project or playing the same golf course!
  • Most of the work on a golf course that makes it "feel" right you'll never notice.
  • Strategy is overrated and the majority of shots in a round shouldn't necessarily have strategic implications.
  • Tactics are grossly underrated, especially on tee shots.
Midway, he flaunts his Penn State and Rutgers education by comparing golf course architecture to the Interstate Highway System!

He notes how the word 'strategy' is often mis-used. True strategy is when you are presented with multi-options, that call for shots which you can handle, and then you have to deliberate over which one to play.  Strategy is NOT about carrying a bunker 235 yards from the tee to gain an advantage - that is merely execution and how far you hit it because if you can carry that far, you definitely will. Indeed, Kyle is passionate about being able to present a course that provides options as that encourages the golfer to think. Why is that important? Apart for it making the game more varied/fun, a thinking golfer becomes a better/more intelligent player and that ultimately helps wed the person to the game. To succeed in providing options, Kyle emphasizes that it is 'absolutely vital to play the golf course under one's care.' I agree - no skinny chefs for me!

As a long-time Florida resident, Kyle highlights some of the hidden gems that the state offers like Ocala and Florida Highlands. As we worked on this interview, I expanded it to include questions about the socio-dynamics of the sport and millennials. Why? Because I wanted to hear his answers! In short, there is something for everyone in the far ranging questions and answers of this month's Feature Interview that proves one of golf's truisms: you always learn more when you talk with someone who has dirt under his nails.

Hope you enjoy this fresh take:

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-kyle-harris/

Best,
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:45:11 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Randy Thompson

Re: Feature Interview with Kyle Harris is posted
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 08:29:24 PM »
One of the best interviews I have read on this site! If reading this doesn´t get you thinking, you must be brain dead!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 09:00:35 PM »
Yes, an excellent interview.

Of course, I am biased, as Kyle was one of our interns when we built Streamsong, and he has honored us by staying on there and overseeing the course, instead of shaping for our competitors!  As a result, I've had vastly better and more detailed feedback about Streamsong than most of the other courses we've built.

In fact, this is a good reminder for me that we should have more turf guys as interns (as Pete Dye did), because we have more to learn from them than from Design students who parrot our own thoughts.

Plus, Kyle was roommates for a while with my stepson, so I have to be nice in case he has dirt on me 😮

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 09:49:56 PM »
Much food for thought indeed, thanks Kyle and Ran -- and much continued success to Kyle in his career.

There are some statements that I don't understand, and some (assuming that I do understand them) that I don't agree with.

But it would be both foolish and ill-mannered of me to raise those here! :)   

Best
P

JMEvensky

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 10:25:39 PM »

One of the best interviews I have read on this site! If reading this doesn´t get you thinking, you must be brain dead!

+1--Reading KH's opinions is great but hearing them over a beer is even more interesting.

Hope all is well Kyle--still trying unsuccessfully to get back down there.

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 11:41:49 PM »
Kyle,

:)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:18:20 AM »
Kyle's take on not rollbacking equipment is refreshing. We toured around Streamsong Black as he pointed out where Dustin Johnson had golfed his ball just a few days earlier. It was nothing but entertaining.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 08:19:10 PM »
Great read, appreciate the insight gained from Kyle's responses, and very on point commentary about attracting people to the game (pretty simple) and listening to those who are into golf enough to have an educated and thoughtful opinion not just whomever or whatever entity happens to be loudest. Thanks guys!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 08:46:25 AM »
Thank you Ran and Kyle. Interesting insights and thought provoking comments. Well done.
atb

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »
I agree with Randy that Kyle's interview is one of the best I have read. He is a smart guy with some very compelling ideas as related to a number of topics within the game of golf. Kyle- I wonder how much of a learning curve there was in maintaining a course in Central Florida versus courses with rock and clay based soils in Pennsylvania? Thanks.

BCrosby

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »
Good interview. I particularly liked Kyle's highlighting the fact that how you cut grass on slopes or around greens is as much about architecture as maintenance. A great example of how the line between the two is often indistinguishable and why a good super is worth his weight in gold.

I was also intrigued by his comments about the push/pull you sometimes get between shapers, architects and supers.   

Bob

Ian Andrew

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 07:36:23 AM »
Golf courses are volatile by nature ... golfers need to understand what that means ....
[size=78%]I'm paraphrasing because you can't copy text[/size]

... but few better words have been said.

You can choose to control it by expensive details or embrace the fact it happens.
I do think that's site and material specific, but it shows the best horse super for the course is important in the long run.
I'll be thrilled to see where it gets too, particularly since I saw all three courses on opening day.

That was a great interview.
Lots of very well thought through comments and ideas.
-

mike_malone

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 09:54:37 AM »
Kyle is the best.
AKA Mayday

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 06:32:42 PM »
Sorry we didn't get to meet up with Kyle at the Dixie Cup last year. It would be interesting to hear how what they do at Streamsong might be transferable to other courses.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »
Kyle,

Good insights as always. Thanks to you and Ran for sharing!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »
I golfed with Kyle years ago at Doaks NLE Beechtree just before it closed and don't recall him saying much.  Who knew I was playing with a budding GCA star!  ;)

Very good article and appreciate the insights as well.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 08:41:29 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed the interview and insight. Especially the mention of my beloved Muni.. aka Ocala Golf Club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back