News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brock Peyer

Forest Oaks Redesign
« on: October 16, 2003, 09:33:37 PM »
I am curious to hear if anyone has played Forest Oaks since DLIII did the redesign.  I didn't get to see any of the coverage today but it sounded like the tour guys liked it; but would any of them really say that they didn't like it?  PGATOUR.com compared it to the feel of Pinehurst #2.  I am a DLIII fan and enjoy seeing him succeed especially after this year.  Just curious.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 09:34:09 PM by Brock Peyer »

Tim_Weiman

Re:Forest Oaks Redesign
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 10:19:40 PM »
Brock:

I believe the USA Today article did cite some Tour players who criticized the previous work done by Fuzzy Zoeller. The artcile portrays David Love as cleaning up Fuzzy's mess.
Tim Weiman

jim_lewis

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 10:51:29 PM »
Brock:

I called Forest Oaks about playing the course a couple of weeks ago. The assistant pro I spoke to said the course was not open then and would not be before the tournament. Even members would not be playing the course until after the tournament(I imagine some exceptions were made.).

I will try to get up there to play the course sometime in the next month or so.

Jim Lewis
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Greg Holland

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 11:07:59 PM »
I volunteered out there during the practice round on Tues., and was able to talk with several pros and caddies.  All that I talked with really liked the course.  I heard Toms, Faxon, Pier Ulrik J., Tom Carter, Larry Mize and John Maginnes all say good things.  The caddies were saying the pros would go low -- the rough did not grow in, so they can flail away without fear.  One caddie told me he expected the course to play 1.5 strokes easier per side, and commented it must have been redesigned for the members.  In the past, the players liked the layout, but did not like the Fuzzy Z./Clyde Johnston greens.  

The new greens were getting very good reviews -- and DLIII did some cool things, including a biarritz green on the 557 yd. par 5 2d (lay up and fire at the pin, or go for it in two and till with the swale in the middle), a few squared off greens, some "bold contours", a several dramatic false fronts (15th especially), some cool run-offs/chipping areas, some Raynor like bunkers (half moon at the 5th), etc.  Rocco Mediate was quoted in the local paper saying this would be one of the best few courses they play on tour now, and something like, if you don't like this course, you don't like golf.

Go to newsandrecord.com, click on sports, and see its series of articles describing all 18 holes, with drawings.  

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 09:47:40 AM »
I only glanced at the coverage for about 20 minutes yesterday, but was intrigued by a few 'Raynor-esque' looking bunkers (kinda coffin-like in a few spots) and the 'squared' look of some of the greens, as mentioned above.
jeffmingay.com

Howard Riefs

Re: Forest Oaks Redesign
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:28:04 PM »
Farewell, Forest Oaks.  The club just closed due to the bankruptcy filing of owners ES2 Sports & Leisure.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/4/21/famed-forest-oaks-cc-closed-until-further-notice.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Holland

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 12:03:33 AM »
The company that filed bankruptcy was just operating the course under a management agreement.  The Japanese company that owns the course is fine, and local articles have indicated that the owner has already signed a management agreement with a new company (indeed that the course would reopen soon).  However, I believe before that can happen, the Bankruptcy Court has to approve it. 

See, e.g., http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2014/04/22/firm-selected-to-manage-forest-oaks-country-club.html

ChipRoyce

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 08:10:00 AM »
Wanted to dust off this thread...
I spent a few nights in Greensboro recently for work and recently took the opportunity to get out for 18 at Forest Oaks.
In short, for $25 with cart twilight, if in the area, I'd say this is a must play.

I knew about its history as the site of the Greater Greensboro Open for a while, but was VERY pleasantly surprised by the architecture.

I read up to learn that Ellis Maples designed it back in the 60's and restored by Davis Love's group back in 2002.
There's a lot of Raynor esque features to the course. Not really template holes, but the neat incorporation of different features (Biarittz green on par 5), thumbprint green, and those neat shelfed containment bunkers off the back of a few of the par 4 greens.
The course is semi-private and conditioning is good, not great. Also the green surrounds in many places are very friendly and changes to the course setup (shave runoff areas, etc..) would make it a bit more of a challenge.

If the Greensboro economy ever took off, and someone put some $ into this (conditioning, add more features) this could really be something.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 10:00:25 PM »
I'm not sure Forest Oaks will ever be very successful. It doesn't have a good location and I can't see it beating out the two 18s at Bryan Park as the top public golf facility in Greensboro. There are also several excellent private courses in the area (with significantly better courses than Forest Oaks) for people who want to join a club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back