News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Edward Glidewell

Re: Masters final round telecasts since 1968 on YouTube
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 07:21:23 PM »
Apparently the Augusta song was first used in 1982.  I could swear that they used to play a version with the lyrics - at least in the first year or two.

I was watching 1981 earlier and heard it during that telecast.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 07:28:29 PM »
I will have to check it out - I was going from this website:  https://thegolfnewsnet.com/lyrics-masters-theme-song-augusta-dave-loggins/

Songwriter Dave Loggins wrote the tune, simply called "Augusta," in 1981 after visiting Augusta National, the home of the Masters, for that April's tournament. Loggins says the lyrics came to him on the par-4 14th hole. Later, in a meeting with legendary CBS Sports golf producer Frank Chirkinian, Loggins piqued Chirkinian's interest in a potential Masters theme song.The song debuted during the 1982 Masters and has been a part of the telecast ever since. However, it has been changed by Loggins over the years to include lines about Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

Steve Lang

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 07:33:48 PM »
 8)  Hard to watch 68 and RdV's "what a stupid I am.." experience, I remember watching it with my dad.  However it did made me look at the rules, which still seem rather odd at times... 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 07:37:11 PM »
I will have to check it out - I was going from this website:  https://thegolfnewsnet.com/lyrics-masters-theme-song-augusta-dave-loggins/

Songwriter Dave Loggins wrote the tune, simply called "Augusta," in 1981 after visiting Augusta National, the home of the Masters, for that April's tournament.Loggins says the lyrics came to himon the par-4 14th hole. Later, in a meeting with legendary CBS Sports golf producer Frank Chirkinian, Loggins piqued Chirkinian's interest in a potential Masters theme song.The song debuted during the 1982 Masters and has been a part of the telecast ever since. However, it has been changed by Loggins over the years to include lines about Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

That's interesting. Maybe I didn't hear it?? I could have sworn I did. I can't imagine they would have gone back and added it to older telecasts though... I'll have to go check and see if I can find it.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 07:51:43 PM »
That's interesting. Maybe I didn't hear it?? I could have sworn I did. I can't imagine they would have gone back and added it to older telecasts though... I'll have to go check and see if I can find it.

It plays right when you start the 1981 coverage behind the commentator. Maybe Augusta added it to the background? Only thing that makes sense if the song wasn't even written until after that Masters.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 08:01:40 PM »
Here's another story, this one from Golf Magazine that has the same years - but perhaps they are sourcing each other.  http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/masters-theme-song-music-masters

It is interesting to note that the song was written by Dave Loggins who is apparently a distant cousin of Kenny Loggins who wrote the "I'm Alright" song used in Caddyshack.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 09:15:28 PM »
I forgot that CBS had Vin Scully back then. What a treat. Plus Venturi and Summerall.

Seems like Watson, Seve, and Kite were in the top five every single year for a very long time.

I believe I had watched bits and pieces going back to 1982 or '83 when I was just a young kid. The first one I remember watching significant portions of was 1985. I know the first edition that I watched in its entirety, from start to finish, was the very next year. Of course, none since then have bettered it :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:22:19 PM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 10:15:31 PM »
Greg, a great post. I've always been interested in TV technology, and these telecasts, and earlier years CBS has shown portions of, tell a story of technical progress.
What there is of 1972 was interesting from several aspects.
1. The use of the Ampex video-replay disk, which could hold 30 seconds of video, for a replay of Jim Jamieson's approach on 17 – and freezing it with the ball in the air.
2. The use later of a hand-held camera for Nicklaus' approach – the cable is clearly shown for a moment – and that the big camera on a cart for tee-shot receive on the other side of Nicklaus was useless with the gallery in the way, as it was only a few feet off the ground.
3. The electronic graphics. CBS Labs was the leader in second-generation electronic titles to replace the cards used since the start of TV. The font was one of its early ones – CBS News and NBC, which contracted for a set, got the first two.
4. And the continuing use (and into the 1980s, I think, though I haven't gotten that far) of the master scoreboard in Butler Cabin, with everything put up by hand. It's on the 1968 telecast and all those after.

Thanks, Tim. I've always had a bit of an obsession with The Masters telecasts (the first one I remember watching was Charlie Coody in '71 when I was 14) and by extension, CBS Golf, for reasons that aren't totally clear to me. I suppose some of the attraction was how the event signifies the coming of Spring and in the early years it offered a visual treat unlike anything else I'd ever seen. Plus here in my part of Canada this was the only CBS golf event we would receive all year (CBS didn't appear on our cable system here until the late '80s) so it was a treat in that respect too.

My viewing has now entered the '80s. I was very disappointed in the 1980 telecast as offered here, as it is severely limited. The first half has no CBS commentary or graphics at all, just ambient sound, seeming almost like an edited series of shots without a whole lot of continuity. No idea where that came from. The last half does have the commentary track and seems close to what aired, but there are occasional quick cuts of stuff that Chirkinian would never allow to be seen, like a handheld camera changing position so all you see is the turf and the cable as the operator walks it to the next shot. No Butler Cabin ceremony either with the infamous Hord Hardin question to Seve about how tall he is.

In the early 80s broadcasts the commentary team changed a bit, with Clive Clark coming on for a few years as another English voice, taking over from Jack Whitaker and doing a good job, Steve Melnyk starting his run with CBS, and Gary Bender, a CBS staff announcer, taking over from Jim Thacker. I had forgotten about Bender and thought he did a good job on golf, maybe better than on some of his other CBS assignments.

The technical progress is interesting to watch. The use of the  Ampex disc seemed to be mostly in the early to mid-70s and for a while in those years they seemed in love with it, with lots of replays of shots ending in a sometimes awkward freeze-frame. In that same timeframe they liked to use a split-screen with a shot of the player on one side and a camera view following the shot on the other side. The electronic titles really changed a lot and fairly quickly, moving from the skinny dot matrix look of the early '70s to a more typeface font to the blocky font CBS News and Sports both used in the mid-70s. But in '78, CBS Golf used a very '70s-looking stylized font for that one year before changing again the next year to a straightforward wide sans-serif italic font that morphed by '82 to the slightly heavier multicolor version of it they used through the '80s. But I think the last year for the old manual leaderboard seemed to be '75 as in '76 they used an electronic leaderboard graphic and I don't recall seeing it since that telecast. Surprised it hung around that long.

The other thing that they did for a few years which I found bizarre and a bit annoying seemed to be a Chirkinian affectation. In the early/mid '70s when a player had a long putt that would require several seconds to get to the hole, he would rapidly switch a series of quick cuts from a close view of the ball moving, to the player's face, back and forth 4 or 5 times over the course of the putt. It was like an early version of an '80s music video without the music.

Speaking of music, the Loggins "Augusta" theme is indeed heard in the '81 telecast. By '82 they had also adopted the rather flowery-looking and very '80s-style"The Masters" logo on their graphics package to go along with it in place of the traditional AGNC map logo, which thankfully has returned for the last number of years.  One of the telecasts, either '82 or '83, used the vocal version of Augusta over some beauty shots of the course to fill the time after the end of play and the start of the Butler Cabin ceremony. The version with vocals was not, IMO, an improvement.

Who will be the first of us to find which year CBS went from calling people fans and spectators and going to "patrons"?

Haven't heard that yet. Vin Scully did call them a "crowd" in the late '70s and surprisingly, he survived that faux pas.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:23:44 PM by Greg Beaulieu »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 10:41:23 PM »
Wow Greg - that's interesting stuff.  What part of Canada are you from?

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 06:49:58 AM »
Wayne, I'm in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

jeffwarne

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
Great stuff Greg,

I'm almost always going off memory-will be great to see the telecasts.
I've only watched 1968 so far.
Wll be interesting to watch(and compare my rose colored memories of) the ones I worked(1978,79,80,81) and the events I attended (as a golfer -1975-2017)

with another snowstorm coming tomorrow...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 10:29:46 AM »
And you guys didn't get CBS until then - wow.  I guess I am lucky as I lived in Southern Ontario.  Where I lived growing up we didn't have access to cable as it was semi-rural but we had a tall antenna and could receive all of the channels from Buffalo and Erie, PA.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 02:28:22 PM »
And you guys didn't get CBS until then - wow.  I guess I am lucky as I lived in Southern Ontario.  Where I lived growing up we didn't have access to cable as it was semi-rural but we had a tall antenna and could receive all of the channels from Buffalo and Erie, PA.

Yes, those of us in the Maritimes were always envious of you folks in So. Ontario in that regard. Cable came here around 1970 and the early versions allowed 1 US commercial station plus PBS, out of Bangor, Me. A few years later the CRTC allowed a second US network station. For the rest of the '70s and into most of the '80s we got NBC, ABC and PBS. CBS was finally permitted to be added around '87 or '88 IIRC.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 02:52:59 PM »
I had mentioned earlier that these broadcasts would help resolve the issue of what announcers worked what years. My memory is that a now long-gone web forum site did a good job of documenting that but with its disappearance I was unable to find that info. But the CBS press office released this a few years ago:

https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-sports/media-guides/masters-2013/download?id=84

I have no idea what sources they used but it must have been compiled by an intern on their last day on the job as it is wildly inaccurate for many of the years in the 1960s through the '80s at a minimum. It is actually quite remarkable that something issued by the company would be so wrong. At least now these years can be corrected.

Speaking of announcers, the 1978 broadcast showed Hubert Green on 18 green with a shortish putt to tie Gary Player and go to a playoff. After setting up to make the stroke he backed off, turned his back to the hole and gestured to someone off-camera to shush and be quiet. He then went on to miss the putt and finished second. In the subsequent Butler Cabin interview conducted by Arnold Palmer a bit later, he fingered Jim Kelly who was broadcasting the event for CBS Radio as the culprit who disturbed him. Kelly of course went to on to work the early years of the PGA Senior Tour as ESPN's anchorman on those broadcasts.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2018, 02:57:35 PM »
It seems that in the past there were far more ex-jocks (excluding ex-golfers) as announcers.  Gifford and Summerall are two examples, although I thought they both become excellent announcers capable of broadcasting a number of sports.  I can't recall the current crop of announcers containing ex-football players.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 03:22:48 PM »
Here's the vocal of "Augusta," Dave Loggins himself in a live setting in 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huV53o7hKR8

And the original vocal, which CBS used over the closing credits at least once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_WB971gh-w
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:26:43 PM by Tim_Cronin »
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 03:47:25 PM »
Thanks Tim - I could swear that back in the 80s they occasionally used to use the vocal version when cutting to commercials or at other times during the broadcast.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 03:52:05 PM »
They might have. I recall once they played the instrumental at the wrong speed at the start of the closing credits, faded it down, and came back up at the proper speed. The magic of reel-to-reel!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 05:38:58 PM »
I think the first time they play the song with the lyrics is at the 2 hour 34 minute point of the 82 broadcast.  Vin Scully introduces the song between the end of the playoff and the green jacket ceremony in Butler Cabin.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 10:15:06 PM »
Watching '84 right now. I believe this is the first year that ANGC caddies did not have to be used - I see Bruce Edwards on Tom Watson's bag. Man, I had forgotten how great Watson was in that period of mid-70s to mid-80s, just hitting the ball so solid all the time. CBS coverage went all the way back to the 5th hole which shocked me as I thought that did not happen until the '90s.

Odd things continue in the archive. Watson's '81 win was good quality with only a few anomalies until the very end. Nicklaus holed out on 18 with Watson waiting in the fairway, then after a quick cut the next thing we see is Watson suddenly hitting his second shot, immediately followed by him putting out on 18 for the win, all in about 30 seconds with a distorted, fuzzy picture. No Butler Cabin ceremony again. No idea what happened there.

It is interesting that given ANGC's interest in television going all the way back into the 1940s (see this excellent David Owen piece on Jones and Roberts: http://www.davidowen.net/files/the-men-who-made-the-masters-3-1999.pdf ) and Roberts' control over the telecast for so many years, that their archive of broadcasts in the '70s and '80s seems so spotty. Losing half of '72, all of '73, and having only the bizarre 1980 version seems rather odd. Maybe the fact that they produced an official film all those years was deemed an acceptable substitute.

One thing I've learned watching these: Tom Weiskopf probably should have won a Masters sometime in the '70s as he was always in the thick of things, and the same is true for Tom Kite in the '80s. 

MClutterbuck

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2018, 07:35:25 PM »

The ending-Talk about awkward...
The interview should be mandatory viewing for any young athlete.
Goalby looked FAR more distraught than De Vincenzo-what a shame for him as he was denied his chance to not have an asterisk by the win by not getting a playoff to win it outright.

De Vincenzo was 45 years old-I selfishly feel deprived of seeing him play as a past champion in his later years (my Masters memories began in 1975-though I may well have attended in 1968 as a 5 year old non golfing picnicer)

I hear all this talk about how "athletic" players are now.True players today don't have their manteets, but those guys had forearms born of hard work and knew how to create speed without looking like swimsuit models.
I'd like to see a player besides DJ that could take down De Vincenzo.

50 years today.

It took Bobby Jones and Cliff Roberts 20 minutes to check every precedent to decide what to do. Including the Bobbly Locke-Peter Thompson decision that did not result in disqualification. It is reported that they were both cogniscant that their decision was going to be historic. A reporter wrote that they new at the end of their discussion that they were giving both players what they wanted:

A trophy for Goalby, lifetime recognition for De Vicenzo (the reigning Champion Golfer).

De Vicenzo won the Shell Houston open 3 weeks later and then at the US Open he was of course asked about the incident. He replied: "It was one of those stupid things you do from time to time. People write to me a lot, they are so kind! They say they feel horrible for what happened to me. They blame others. I just want them to know that it was solely my mistake".

He was presented the Bobby Jones Award later. He said then: I play golf. I have made a lot of friends and some money. Today I have this wonderful recognition. It means a lot to me, to my family, and to the folks back home. To win a tournament, one has to to be very good for a week. To win this recognition, you need many, many years.

You are right Jeff about his storng arms, even in old age. I am honored to have played with him a few holes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back