News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Cronin

Masters final round telecasts since 1968 on YouTube
« on: March 17, 2018, 01:17:12 PM »
Augusta National has just posted this trove of CBS final-round television broadcasts from 1968 forward.

The link to 1968 (a black-and-white kinescope of the original colorcast):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmdrWYSpVMs

And I was planning to do some work this afternoon.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jeff Schley

Re: Masters final round telecasts since 1968 on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 01:37:43 PM »
I have to check this out.... I guess my weekend plans have changed)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Conley Hurst

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 02:07:27 PM »
Wow, this is incredible stuff. Good on ANGC for archiving these and making them so easily accessible.

Peter Flory

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 02:16:03 PM »
Fantastic!  Crazy seeing Ray Floyd knowing that he'd still be putting himself in the same position 20 years later.  Hearing Byron Nelson chiming in on the commentary also strange. 

I like Goalby's action. 

For the scorecard controversy, I never realized the order of how the events played out.  Goalby thought he had to make his putt to get into a playoff, but it was for the win in hindsight.  May have changed things in terms of pressure if he knew the actual situation. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:25:44 PM by Peter Flory »

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 04:04:20 PM »
Wow,,,where to begin.

Must see TV for any fan of golf, history, sports and The Masters.

A treasure trove of players(Nicklaus, Player, Trevino, De Vincenzo, Floyd, Yancey, Devlin, Goalby, Aaron) golf course, and information on an event I was aware of, but had not seen play out in real time.

The ending-Talk about awkward...
The interview should be mandatory viewing for any young athlete.
Goalby looked FAR more distraught than De Vincenzo-what a shame for him as he was denied his chance to not have an asterisk by the win by not getting a playoff to win it outright.

De Vincenzo was 45 years old-I selfishly feel deprived of seeing him play as a past champion in his later years (my Masters memories began in 1975-though I may well have attended in 1968 as a 5 year old non golfing picnicer)

I hear all this talk about how "athletic" players are now.True players today don't have their manteets, but those guys had forearms born of hard work and knew how to create speed without looking like swimsuit models.
I'd like to see a player besides DJ that could take down De Vincenzo.

Watch Raymond Floyd rip at it and tell me they weren't able to swing hard at it because of small headed equipment.

The golf course looked so much better, and so much less contrived-noteably 17(Disneyland of fake looking pinebedded trees) and 18 (which is now an awkward unattractive claustrophic chute rather than the strategic decision it once was)

Also amazing how few putts are made when they have to carry speed to get to the hole-many more lipouts as the ball isn't crawling as it reaches the hole and gravity pulls it in.

I turned it off after a couple minutes though because the ball wasn't going far enough.
300 uphill on 17....booooring
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:34:32 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Flory

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 04:21:39 PM »
What would have happened if Goalby would have added a stroke to his score on the final hole in the scoring tent to force a playoff with Roberto? 

Would that have been allowable or would they have caught him on some sort of spirit of the rules violation?  Could have been a historic gesture and probably would have paid off for him whether he won or lost the next day.  I guess that in a way, that would be insulting to Roberto though because it would look cheap if he did win after that. 

One other thing that I didn't realize- 231 professional wins by De Vincenzo!!!  I don't think I've even won that many games of cards in my life. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:38:35 PM by Peter Flory »

Cal Seifert

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »
Can't show the front 9 on television though :-\ 

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 05:33:58 PM »
What would have happened if Goalby would have added a stroke to his score on the final hole in the scoring tent to force a playoff with Roberto?
He kinda answered that type of question in the Golf Magazine or Golf Digest for April. Said that would be putting himself above the rules of the game, because it wasn't playing by the rules per se, it was trying to "settle things" as a player deciding what was right, not the rules themselves.

It made sense the way he phrased it. I'm not claiming to have written it very accurately.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »
Geez, this is so wonderful... hope it starts a flood of this kind of archival material from all walks of championship golf.

cheers
vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 10:44:40 PM »
Thanks for this, these are incredible.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 11:52:13 PM »
Watch Raymond Floyd rip at it and tell me they weren't able to swing hard at it because of small headed equipment.

I had the same thought every time I saw Seve swing.  Nothing left in reserve (maybe there was....but it surely didn't appear to be the case).
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tim Liddy

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 06:35:25 AM »
No logos, shallow bunkers, mock turtle necks, brylcreem, sansabelts, metal spikes on leather shoes, wristy putting strokes, leggy swings, enjoying a Marlboro between shots, visors. Rock stars of a great generation.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:49:39 AM by Tim Liddy »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »
Well done for highlighting this Tim.
Are there links for the following years?
atb

William_G

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 10:27:03 AM »
awesome, ANGC is forward thinking and this only helps folks connect with the game

well done ANGC (hope other leaders in sports do the same, eg. Olympics)

Thomas, they are all on youtube individually by year,  8)

It's all about the golf!

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 12:37:40 PM »
Well done for highlighting this Tim.
Are there links for the following years?
atb

https://www.youtube.com/user/masters/videos

That's the main page with links to each year's coverage.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »
Geez, this is so wonderful... hope it starts a flood of this kind of archival material from all walks of championship golf.

cheers
vk

There are a bunch of U.S. Opens (and other majors) on YouTube, placed there by individuals, plus some other old tournaments. But it would be great if the R&A, USGA and PGA of America would follow Augusta's lead. And if Augusta goes back to 1957 eventually, which I believe is the earliest surviving final-round telecast (1956, the first airing, is unaccounted for).

Jeff Schley

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »
Which year did you watch first?  Just finished watching 1998 as I loved watching Jack Nicklaus make another run at 58 and T6. During the broadcast he drove number 9 325 yards off the tee.  They also noted that for the week he was #21 in driving distance in the field.  He also was top 10 in putting halfway through the round, although he didn't make many coming in.  Amazing performance.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
Watching 1972, which alas is incomplete but has the finish, Jack had a tougher putt to save par on 17 than he had to birdie in 1986. And after splashing out from a fried egg lie in the front bunker. This is great fun.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »
I have been spending a lot of hours this weekend watching these. What a delight, and huge thank-yous to whomever at ANGC had the idea to put these online. I started with 1968 and have been working my way forward, up to 1977 so far. Some thoughts:

The '68 ending was fascinating. Pat Summerall got the word of a possible problem well after both De Vincenzo (obviously) and Goalby had finished, and by that time the Butler Cabin ceremony was almost ready to start. As @jeffwarne noted, Goalby looked very upset while Roberto was remarkably composed. Clifford Roberts and John Winters (filling in for Bob Jones) handled the very awkward situation as well as one could expect I suppose, with Roberts actually showing some compassion for De Vincenzo at the end by grasping his arm during their handshake and suggesting that somehow two winners could be acknowledged (though I'm not sure what, if anything, was ever done). Meanwhile, poor Vinny Giles as low amateur was thrust into the middle of all that during the ceremony. Just a remarkable piece of history I had never seen before.

Of course by going back so far into the archive, we get to see players who we have only heard of and never got to see play, which was fun. I was struck by how well they struck the ball given the equipment and conditions of the era, and the scores they were able to post. It was also interesting to see a much less well-manicured ANGC compared to today. In 1970 there was an area in play on the right fringe of 16 green that was completely dead grass, and in one of the 1970s broadcasts you could see that the grassy areas around the back bunkers on 13 were very spotty in terms of condition. 

The Butler Cabin ceremonies were particularly interesting. My memory of those as a teenager watching on TV was they were very stilted and that that Clifford Roberts was a very old, stern, humorless man, which matches the image he always had and which may well be totally accurate. But there were flashes of dry wit and courtliness that he showed during those ceremonies and it really wasn't until the end in 1976 when perhaps due to both age and illness he began to look out of place. One of the funnier ones was in '72 when the interview portion seemed to go on for a long time and finally he interrupted and said it was time to stop because people were waiting outside, which seemed to cause people to jump. I had also forgotten that he had Frank Broyles, the Arkansas football coach and ANGC member, doing the player interviews during the early-mid '70s, who did a reasonably decent job of it.

I found watching the CBS broadcasts evolve to be fascinating. The broadcasts shown through 1971 are kinescopes which detracts from them, but even at that these ones appear to be not changed much from what had always been done, a rather short broadcast of just the last few holes with limited camera coverage. Some years have pieces missing, about the entire first hour of 1972, virtually all of 1973 except for the missed putt on 18 by JC Snead that would have meant a playoff, and about 30 minutes of 1977 in the middle of the back 9. Announcers included the superb Henry Longhurst on 16 (who disappeared after 1976 like Roberts), largely forgotten contributors like Jim Thacker and Frank Glieber, and Doc Middlecoff and Byron Nelson on the '60s broadcasts. Pat Summerall anchored on 18 a few times with Ray Scott (more famous as the voice of Green Bay Packers football, whose ponderous style did not translate well here IMO) preceding Vin Scully who began in '75 and then did '77 through the early '80s (not sure what happened to Vin in '76). Vinny did OK but IMO he should have stuck to baseball as the Summerall years on 18 were far superior. Jack Whitaker, banished from 18 after 1966, came back in '74 to fill in for an ailing Longhurst and stuck around for a while after that on a hole tower. For those that care about such things, these broadcasts will help resolve what announcers worked what Masters for CBS.

The '72 telecast is of remarkable picture quality given the age, and '77 looks even better. 1977 is the first "modern" production, with many significant changes happening that year. There were a bunch of new camera positions that are still used today, added coverage of #11 (with second shots available on 9 and 10), and even mobile cameras that got behind the player in the fairway. I don't know if that was all a result of Bill Lane taking over from Cliff Roberts but it really made a difference.

I am really enjoying these and they are a treasure to have available.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:10:27 AM by Greg Beaulieu »

BHoover

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 11:09:18 AM »
The first year I watched was 1991. I wanted Tom Watson to win that year so much. He put his tee ball on 12 in the water, but then eagled 13 and 15 to tie Woosnam and Olazabal. But then it all came undone on 18.

That year also featured a great second round pairing of Watson and Nicklaus, and an amazing putt by Larry Mize on 14 in the third round.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 03:23:59 PM »
I read somewhere that de Vincenzo received a silver case that was generally only given to Masters champions:  "Masters' chairman Clifford Roberts later sent De Vicenzo a sterling silver cigarette box engraved with the signatures of the previous winners (the only time during Roberts' time as chairman that it was sent to anyone other than the winner of the Masters)"

And it is interesting to notice that several of the players in 68, including Goalby and Player, wore the mock-turtleneck style collars.  I have heard Tiger criticized for wearing these at the present time with folks saying that shirts like that don't belong on a golf pro.  Player was the leader going into the final round in 68 but he shot 72 in the final round to finish well back.  The winner's check in 1968 was $20,000!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
Most interesting to see the changes over the years especially the maintenance and presentation of the course. The first one I can recall is Charles Coody’s year.
Shame about poor Roberto DeV’. On his birthday as well :(
From their figures there don’t seem to be too many gym rats amongst the players (until recent times).
Atb

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 06:03:55 PM »
Greg, a great post. I've always been interested in TV technology, and these telecasts, and earlier years CBS has shown portions of, tell a story of technical progress.
What there is of 1972 was interesting from several aspects.
1. The use of the Ampex video-replay disk, which could hold 30 seconds of video, for a replay of Jim Jamieson's approach on 17 – and freezing it with the ball in the air.
2. The use later of a hand-held camera for Nicklaus' approach – the cable is clearly shown for a moment – and that the big camera on a cart for tee-shot receive on the other side of Nicklaus was useless with the gallery in the way, as it was only a few feet off the ground.
3. The electronic graphics. CBS Labs was the leader in second-generation electronic titles to replace the cards used since the start of TV. The font was one of its early ones – CBS News and NBC, which contracted for a set, got the first two.
4. And the continuing use (and into the 1980s, I think, though I haven't gotten that far) of the master scoreboard in Butler Cabin, with everything put up by hand. It's on the 1968 telecast and all those after.

Note that Augusta has dropped the network intros after the first few (and the billboards for Travelers and Cadillac, and subsequent sponsors, for all) years. CBS has left those in on the Jim Nantz-hosted retrospectives.

Who will be the first of us to find which year CBS went from calling people fans and spectators and going to "patrons"?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 06:46:00 PM »
Apparently the Augusta song was first used in 1982.  I could swear that they used to play a version with the lyrics - at least in the first year or two.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »
By the way if you want to download these video rather than just stream them you can use a site called VDYouTube and change www.youtube.com to www.vdyoutube.com while keeping everything else the same.

For example, the URL for the 1969 Masters is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEWab3mUKo .  To download this as a video file use a URL of https://www.vdyoutube.com/watch?v=1VEWab3mUKo and then select the format that you want to use.

Why would you want to do this?  A couple of reasons:  (1) You will have your own archive and you don't lose access to these if ANGC decide to pull these files in the future, (2) you will be able to watch these videos when offline, and (3) this may be an easier way to watch these on a TV rather than a PC.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back