GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Masters final round telecasts since 1968 on YouTube

(1/10) > >>

Tim_Cronin:
Augusta National has just posted this trove of CBS final-round television broadcasts from 1968 forward.

The link to 1968 (a black-and-white kinescope of the original colorcast):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmdrWYSpVMs

And I was planning to do some work this afternoon.

Jeff Schley:
I have to check this out.... I guess my weekend plans have changed)

Conley Hurst:
Wow, this is incredible stuff. Good on ANGC for archiving these and making them so easily accessible.

Peter Flory:
Fantastic!  Crazy seeing Ray Floyd knowing that he'd still be putting himself in the same position 20 years later.  Hearing Byron Nelson chiming in on the commentary also strange. 

I like Goalby's action. 

For the scorecard controversy, I never realized the order of how the events played out.  Goalby thought he had to make his putt to get into a playoff, but it was for the win in hindsight.  May have changed things in terms of pressure if he knew the actual situation. 

jeffwarne:
Wow,,,where to begin.

Must see TV for any fan of golf, history, sports and The Masters.

A treasure trove of players(Nicklaus, Player, Trevino, De Vincenzo, Floyd, Yancey, Devlin, Goalby, Aaron) golf course, and information on an event I was aware of, but had not seen play out in real time.

The ending-Talk about awkward...
The interview should be mandatory viewing for any young athlete.
Goalby looked FAR more distraught than De Vincenzo-what a shame for him as he was denied his chance to not have an asterisk by the win by not getting a playoff to win it outright.

De Vincenzo was 45 years old-I selfishly feel deprived of seeing him play as a past champion in his later years (my Masters memories began in 1975-though I may well have attended in 1968 as a 5 year old non golfing picnicer)

I hear all this talk about how "athletic" players are now.True players today don't have their manteets, but those guys had forearms born of hard work and knew how to create speed without looking like swimsuit models.
I'd like to see a player besides DJ that could take down De Vincenzo.

Watch Raymond Floyd rip at it and tell me they weren't able to swing hard at it because of small headed equipment.

The golf course looked so much better, and so much less contrived-noteably 17(Disneyland of fake looking pinebedded trees) and 18 (which is now an awkward unattractive claustrophic chute rather than the strategic decision it once was)

Also amazing how few putts are made when they have to carry speed to get to the hole-many more lipouts as the ball isn't crawling as it reaches the hole and gravity pulls it in.

I turned it off after a couple minutes though because the ball wasn't going far enough.
300 uphill on 17....booooring

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version