News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

When have I no longer played a course?
« on: December 17, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »
This is solely a question about counting how many courses I've played on a Top 100 list or that kind of thing.

After a renovation, when do you say that you've no longer played a course?

I played Inverness in 2000. At this point, I'd say that I've played it. What about after they open three new holes? Will I still say that I've played it when it appears on the next Top 100 list post-renovation?

If a course renovates all of its bunkers, you've probably still played it (ex., Olympic Lake 3 years ago vs. now). What if it adds a bunch of bunkers — I played Baltusrol Lower in 2000, too. Do I still count that one?

If you played MPCC Dunes course 5 years ago and then look at a 2017-2018 list, do you still count it as one of the Top 100 courses you've played?

Solely for counting purposes, where do you draw the line?

Sean_A

Re: When have I no longer played a course?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 04:09:00 AM »
Matt

I don't know where a line should be drawn, but it is rare that I would say I haven't played a course.  I am leaning toward Oakland Hills as possibly a course I would say has changed enough that I am not sure  have played it...same for Turmberry.  Looking back on Pinehurst #2 I think the course is different enough to say I hadn't played it.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »
Just say "I played it in 19xx" or "in 20xx" or "before the last renovation."

I played Pine Needles before the renovation. I've played Old Bedford Springs before and after the renovation. Oakmont before and after the tree removal.

Unless a substantial portion of the holes are changed, I would still say you "played" the course. If you add the date, that just adds more clarity.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 12:21:34 PM »
I am very proud to have played the Dell hole at Erin Hills and the original 14th at Bandon Trails. Two great holes never to been seen again much like the magazines that destroyed them. My biggest regret is that I never hit a tree at Oakmont.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back