News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Roselle

Chills down the spine watching this drone footage over Pine Valley GC..Enjoy!!!

https://youtu.be/FAlbmd5UdzA

Joel Pear

Just simply, wow!  Thanks for sharing Chris!

James Reader

If I was limited to just one thing on my bucket list...

Rick Shefchik

Stunning. I've played a lot of great golf courses, but I've never seen anything like that. I can't imagine breaking 100 on Pine Valley.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Chris Roselle

Stunning. I've played a lot of great golf courses, but I've never seen anything like that. I can't imagine breaking 100 on Pine Valley.

First time I played it I was 17 and hit every fairway and shot 87...I was like a +1 at the time and playing really well...

Mike Schott

The video is quite the homage to a spectacular and utterly intimidating beauty of a golf course.

Brad Tufts

Really awesome place...I've been fortunate to play it once, and I was prepared to be annoyed at how penal it was...but it totally has enough width and subtlety to be every bit of the interesting, world class course that it is.

In one round, as a scratch...I think I shot 81 and didn't play poorly at all really.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Philip Gawith

Interesting decision by the club to " let the daylight in on the magic". I suspect they reasoned they might as well control the picture.

It does a great job of conveying the beauty of the course - and confirms my view that maybe the 9th is the best looking hole on the course. No surprise it features currently on the front of the scorecard. What the drone can't really capture is elevation change which are such prominent features of holes like, 2,3,4.

Philip

Thomas Dai

Wow!
Part of me wants to play (and study) it, part of me is scared to death by the thought of playing it! :)
Thanks for posting.
Atb

Tommy Williamsen

Pine Valley is scarier looking than scary to play. If you keep the ball in the generous fairways and hit reasonable iron shots, a player can score decently. It kills the overly aggressive and sloppy player. Keep you head and play to your strengths and you will be ok. For instance, number five might be the toughest par on the course. Regardless of where the pin is, aim for the front left corner and take you chances on a good chip or long putt. Get to aggressive and you end up like Gene Littler. When I took my 16 year old son there, many years ago, he wanted to cut the corner on number six. I begged him to just hit it left center. He walked off the green with a hard fought double after his tee shot found the junk short and right of the corner he tried to fly.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Hellrung

They did a really good job with that.  Of the top ranked US courses, PV is probably the one I most want to experience, up there with Shinne and NGLA. 

From the looks of the video, I'd say the closest think I've played to PV is Tobacco Road.  Also a lot of fun for those without access or influence!

jeffwarne

Great video-thanks for posting
Is it me or do the bunkers look much "cleaner" and more formalized-?e  ven away from the greens.
Seems I remember the only formal bunkers being near greens and the rest having a much more sandy gnarly "don't want to be there"uneven sandy waste weed/pine look.

Of course it's been 25 years......
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

archie_struthers

;D

Wow, that's really a nice walk thru!  Catches the beauty and difficulty .

What you can't see is the elevation changes which are so crazy for Southern NJ .  Certainly it doesn't have fall like Augusta or some of the great courses in Ireland , but its not flat .  I really like that you play some uphill tee shots which seem to be so much better visually to me.  I know that's a little wacky, perhaps its the water I drank here growing up .

At the end of the day it's still the greens that make Pine Valley extra special . Crump had such great imagination for tying the edges together . The interior contours aren't at all choppy.  No staccato here. When you get a putt rolling on the right line it just keeps breaking til it reaches its fitting end , in the hole!

Really well done aerials , enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:30:04 PM by archie_struthers »

Mike Sweeney

Probably my #2 after NGLA, and after too many years here on GCA.com, I have to say it:

Cut down MORE trees !! ;D :-[ :)

It's so good and it could be better. The corridors are wide, the conditioning is great, and yet....

It could be better! I know, this is a silly comment!! But that is who WE are!!!
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Emile Bonfiglio

That was inspiring....really cool the club allowed that kind of access. To those who have played, do you just walk through the waste areas on your way to the greens since raking is not encourage?
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

David Wuthrich

Yes you do, but you try to be as nice as possible since you will at one point or another end up there and don't want to be in a large footprint or place where someone has hit a shot and not brushed the sand back in place. 

Cool place!

Jim_Coleman

In 1968, I was in my spring semester at U of Penn.  I had read Dan Jenkins' Best 18 Holes in America, published in Sports Illustrated a few years earlier.  Merion was the only course that had 2 holes included in Jenkins' course (1 and 11), so it was Merion that made the greatest impression on my uneducated mind.  Jim Litvack, a Princeton economics professor and the son of my mother's very dear friend, arranged for us to play at Merion that year.  I was beyond excited.  When he picked me up, he apologized for having to deliver disappointing news - the Merion game had fallen through, so we would be playing 36 holes at Pine Valley.  I was crushed.
   That was the day I fell in love with golf courses, as opposed to golf.  I don't remember what I shot, but I remember not caring.  I am lucky enough to have played dozens of rounds at Pine Valley since, including several member and senior member guest  tournaments.  Every visit has been a treat.  No matter how high one's expectations, they will be exceeded if one plays there.  This film is good, but inadequate.

Mark_F

Probably my #2 after NGLA, and after too many years here on GCA.com, I have to say it:

Thank heavens someone said it.  It looks so overgrown and choked with trees it makes Commonwealth down here look like a links course by comparison.

JohnH

Thank heavens someone said it.  It looks so overgrown and choked with trees it makes Commonwealth down here look like a links course by comparison.

Awe inspiring course. While I’ve not played it, I’m curious how (my perceived) lack of airflow influences the chemical budget. I had a contemporary and his son play it back in May. He had few words to accurately portray the experience.

Tim Martin

I think the flyover gives a great indication of the mammoth scale of the golf course. I'm not going to argue that some additional tree clearing might not be in order but the turf is getting plenty of airflow and sunlight where needed. I heard a wise GCA veteran say that "for inland golf there is Pine Valley and then there is everything else". That's a great video!

Ira Fishman

What tees do they use for the Crump Cup? The Medalist shot 2 over this year.

It looks terrifying for even the best players.

Ira

Jerry Kluger

Great video - I played the course probably 25 years ago and the video brings back so many memories.

SPDB

It's so good and it could be better. The corridors are wide, the conditioning is great, and yet....

It could be better! I know, this is a silly comment!! But that is who WE are!!!

Mike,
Wrong picture to support your argument. There are far fewer trees on 6 today then there are shown on this picture. Even the evergreen on the corner of the hazard that is shown here is gone. It used to be a great aiming tree - i.e., if you're tee ball was more than 10 yards right of this tree you were in trouble.

Ari Techner

Nice to see drone video that was actually authorized by the club....

I don't think PV is that hard.  The fairways are wide and you tend to get a lot of nice flat lies.  The greens are difficult but not any more so than many top courses.  I've shot around my handicap there multiple times.   

Along with the unique greens what truly makes it great imo is the different looks you get on each hole and the variety of hole lengths.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:49:47 AM by Ari Techner »

Mark Chaplin

First time I played it I was 17 and hit every fairway and shot 87...I was like a +1 at the time and playing really well...

I was there for a couple of nights in October, a mate off a solid 2 knocked it around in 72 first time out. He was -2 through 11 then charged a 20’ birdie putt on 12 and had three straight bogies. Four pars to finish for a nice 72 and a tidy win in the match.

Whilst PV may look choked by trees it’s amazing how few really affect play. Those on 11 are strategic, it’s really only those on 13 that “get in the way” and change how the course was in years gone by.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back