News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Mark Chalfant on Devereux Emmet New
« on: December 13, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »
 http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview-with-mark-chalfant/

The works of Ross, Tillinghast, MacKenzie, Flynn, Thomas and Macdonald/Raynor/Banks have all enjoyed a remarkable resurgence over the past 25 years. Same too to a slightly lesser extent for Travis, Macan, Bendelow, Stiles and Van Kleek and Willie Park Jr. Who else is most deserving to have his work championed?

Ever a Macdonald school guy, I naturally put forth Langford & Moreau and Macdonald's buddy and travel companion, Devereux Emmet. Happily, Mark Chalfant feels the same: he penned an IMO piece and shed light on Langford & Moreau about a dozen years ago and now is wrapping up a 135 page book entitled Deveraux Emmet - The Forgotten American Master.

I had no idea how often Emmet traveled to the United Kingdom. Mark reckons it was nearly annually for 30 years. As such, Emmet epitomizes how the game was successfully imported from across the pond. Scottish professionals emigrated with ideas as to what constituted good golf but none enjoyed the financial luxury of Emmet who could regularly jump between the USA and the UK. Other architects had to work from memory while Emmet had the luxury of regular visits when he made sketches of pertinent features or holes that caught his eye. North Berwick was his favorite haunt for extended stays - good man! No wonder his designs are so feature rich relative to many other Golden Age designers.

In this Feature Interview, Mark takes us on a tour of Emmet's designs and his philosophy. Some courses (Hob Nob Hill) no longer exist but that doesn't make what Emmet did there any less praiseworthy. Others, like MacGregor Links still exist but have fallen prey to disfiguring development. Nonetheless, MacGregor was once magnificent and is case A1 that Emmet could build world class golf holes - I feel confident it was one of the country's top 20 or so courses in the early 1920s.

As an existing course, while Mark admires the superb greens at Wee Burn and the compelling hazards at Huntington, he shares my conviction that St.George's on Long Island is the show pony for Emmet's talents. Before Gil Hanse became the Gil Hanse  ;D , he led a dramatic restoration there that exposed the land and a slew of really cool attributes like L shaped bunkers and some really fine, rolling green contours. Emmet seems to be the king of 6,300 yard designs and when preserved are generally jammed packed with neat, low profile features. Emmet didn't go for big splashy bunkers of the sort that took hold in California but favored smaller, grassed faced ones that sliced into fairways on a diagonal.

Mark's research puts Emmet on the pedestal where he belongs. Mark explains that the line between Macdonald and Emmet's work is blurred because they shared many of the same design tenets. Yet, Emmet eschewed template holes so that his courses enjoy a certain 'freshness'. You never know what you might encounter. Hopefully, those clubs that play on an Emmet course will take note of Mark's words and images with an eye toward restoration. Emmet was a pioneer when the fledgling sport needed him and it would be nice if we could return the favor a century later and reinstate his work to the prominence it once so rightfully enjoyed.

A tip of the hat to Mark for his research and devotion in assembling this book and for shining the spotlight on such a worthy subject. It is a fitting way to ring out our final Feature Interview for 2017!

Best,
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:07:11 PM by Ran Morrissett »

John Mayhugh

Re: Feature Interview with Mark Chalfant on Devereux Emmet
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 07:53:16 AM »
My only Emmet exposure has been at St. George's and Leatherstocking.  I certainly want to see more. 

Mark, how long til the book is ready to acquire?

Brian Finn

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
Very interesting interview.  Thank you for providing more information on Emmet.  I am also very interested in purchasing the book. 

I've played  a half dozen or so Emmet  courses, and genuinely enjoy them all.  In addition to the many fine private clubs, I would suggest folks check out now-public courses such as the Green Course at Bethpage (fka Lenox Hills CC) and The Red Course at Eisenhower Park (fka Salisbury CC), which hosted the 1926 PGA. 
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

John Blain

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 10:01:15 AM »
Sort of surprised Mark didn't give more love to Mohawk Golf Club in Schenectady, NY.  Love that course.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 10:06:59 AM »
In 2015, Mark presented on Emmet at one of Joe Bausch's "Barn Fests." Here is a video of his presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIXMF2eXlYk

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 11:04:36 AM »
Also interested in purchasing a copy of the book when ready.
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

mark chalfant

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 06:36:04 PM »

John Mayhugh,
Thanks so much for your interest. It will be early in 2018, I will post an update in mid January.

Mr. Blain,  Id love to hear about Mohawk's strengths !  Mohawk, Immergun, and Dudley are at the top of my to do list

mark chalfant

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 06:44:54 PM »

Matt: Thank so much for your technical help that day !   It was thrilling to see aerial photos of  Huntington , Wee Burn and Pomonok on the big screen at Villanova.

Phil, I enjoyed your book on Long Island golf very much. The aerials of Salisbury and Meadow Brook are amazing ! Thank you for your interest

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 06:51:30 PM »
Congrats to Mark who has been a tireless advocate of Dev Emmet’s work. That is an interesting and informative interview.

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »
Well done, Mark.

Is Macgregor Links still worth a visit?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 09:38:17 PM »
I know nothing of Dev Emmett but I do know Mark Chalfant is a peach. 
AKA Mayday

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 10:05:56 PM »
I know nothing of Dev Emmett but I do know Mark Chalfant is a peach.

I don't know Mike, I don't see any peaches on his plate.  ;D

[/url]
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Robert Emmons

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 10:40:34 AM »
Thx Ran and as always Thanks Mark...RHE

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 11:42:52 AM »

Bob-Thanks to you as well for hosting that Emmet outing at Huntington a number of years ago. I'm trying to remember the year-2011 or 2012? I believe the restoration was just completed and the finished product was/is amazing. Another great old club that doesn't get near enough recognition for its fine golf course.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:44:57 AM by Tim Martin »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 05:15:09 PM »
Finally played Leatherstocking this summer and I loved it. It plays much longer than the card and was just enormous fun.

Really great to see Rockville Links mentioned. I never heard anything about it when I played it for an fundraiser, and was amazed again at the fun aspect of the course. Yes it is dead flat as Mark mentions, but he found a way to make it interesting and fun.

That is a really great list of "below the radar" courses for future adventure. Nice job and thanks Mark.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:27:14 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

mark chalfant

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »

Well done, Mark.

Is Macgregor Links still worth a visit?   Mike:
1.  Was Carson Wentz  a good draft pick.
2.  Did Olin  Dutra ever have a big win near Philadelphia
3.  Does brother Matt of Cinci  ever eat at El Limon.

mark chalfant

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 09:55:48 PM »

Robert, thank you so much for your gracious welcomes at Huntington. I deeply appreciate your long and devoted stewardship as greens chairman. My thanks to Glenn Creutz for his great work as well.

I echo Tim's comments about the exceptional quality of the golf course !
Mant thanks !

mark chalfant

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »

Finally played Leatherstocking this summer and I loved it. It plays much longer than the card and was just enormous fun.

Really great to see Rockville Links mentioned. I never heard anything about it when I played it for an fundraiser, and was amazed again at the fun aspect of the course. Yes it is dead flat as Mark mentions, but he found a way to make it interesting and fun.
Mike, so glad you got to play those extra sporty golf  courses !!  Thanks so much for your encouragement during my immersion
in  the study of Devereux !

That is a really great list of "below the radar" courses for future adventure. Nice job and thanks Mark.

MCirba

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »

Well done, Mark.

Is Macgregor Links still worth a visit?   Mike:
1.  Was Carson Wentz  a good draft pick.
2.  Did Olin  Dutra ever have a big win near Philadelphia
3.  Does brother Matt of Cinci  ever eat at El Limon.

Consider it done.   ;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »

Bob-Thanks to you as well for hosting that Emmet outing at Huntington a number of years ago. I'm trying to remember the year-2011 or 2012? I believe the restoration was just completed and the finished product was/is amazing. Another great old club that doesn't get near enough recognition for its fine golf course.

I was fortunate to play Huntington with Bob in July of 2012. 

Photos of a really fun course with some outstanding bunkering:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Huntington/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »

I was fortunate to play Huntington with Bob in July of 2012. 

Photos of a really fun course with some outstanding bunkering:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Huntington/index.html

Joe-That is a really nice album and I agree that the bunkering is something special. The variety of sizes, shapes, and locations is as diverse as anywhere I can think of and really make the player think their way around. Man that is a fun golf course!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:32:26 PM by Tim Martin »

mark chalfant

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 09:34:15 PM »

Mike Sweeney:  I would love to hear about a few of your favorite holes at  Leatherstocking and Rockville  thanks

Mike Cirba:   please share a few details about Eisenhower Red   and Leatherstocking.....

John Yerger,  love to hear your take on  Immergrun and St. Marys  in western Pennsylvania

thanks !!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »
Mark and I have conversed on the phone a few times. He is accessible and approachable, and I encourage all to seek him out.

Mark, I have images from Mohawk, should you want me to wetransfer.com them to you.

Leatherstocking...what was Emmett thinking on the last three holes?

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 07:30:55 PM »
Mark and I have conversed on the phone a few times. He is accessible and approachable, and I encourage all to seek him out.

Mark, I have images from Mohawk, should you want me to wetransfer.com them to you.

Leatherstocking...what was Emmett thinking on the last three holes?

Maybe Mark can chime in but I don’t think the last three holes they way sit now are from the original routing.

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »
Great interview Ran and Mark.

Congratulations Mark.  I am looking forward to reading your work in 2018.

Happy Holidays!

Bret

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back