GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Weak Holes

(1/11) > >>

Tim Gallant:
This quote blew me away. Who said it and is he right?

'They asked me ‘do you think we have any weak holes?’ my reply to that was, ‘if you don’t have any weak holes, well you should have!’

(Crockett, 2015, golfcoursearchitecture.net)

JESII:
Without a distinct strength, how could you have a weakness?

Adam Clayman:
"Weak" is too relative a term to be credible, beyond an esoteric. Ebb and flow of sequences implies a spectrum of tension.

Fazio said it best to Steve Wynn, when relaying to Wynn why he doesn't like working for people like him. To paraphrase, 'They always want 18 great holes, which burns me and the golfer out, by the 5th hole.

Kalen Braley:
Is the 18th at CPC weak?

I don't think so, but I don't doubt some would make that claim.

Peter Pallotta:
Can’t believe any architect has ever intentionally designed & built a weak/breather hole - for the sake of pace, flow, variety or any other reason save (perceived) necessity.
Yes, post-facto, it can be a description of/rationale for a golf hole that golfers don’t consider one of the best (even if only relative to all the rest, as Jim points to).
But I suppose the old mantra of “no weak holes” has become so tired and meaningless that it’s now okay to make as if weak holes are not only necessary but useful.
I think I’d rather have an awkward or preposterous golf hole (even a dog-leg!) than a weak one; and besides, if the architect creates a wicked and interesting green (which nothing stops him from doing, anytime, anywhere) how ‘weak’ could any hole really be?
I think some architects and golfers alike might be confusing a lack of scenery with a lack of strategy; or a break from the formula with a failure of form.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version