News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Seth Raynor's Siblings
« on: December 10, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »
A message from Bret Lawrence made me realize that most people do not know that Seth Raynor had siblings. That information was not included in The Evangelist of Golf. Also, Raynor did not have a son as the book states.

From the obituary of Ella Jagger Raynor that ran in the East Hampton Star newspaper on Nov. 14, 1935.

"She had five children, the first and last dying in childhood. Seth J. Raynor, her second son, who died in 1926, was known for his work as golf architect on many of the famous course in the country.

"She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Lulu B. Porter and Elizabeth R. Burnett. Six grandchildren, David Raynor Burnett, Lester R. Burnett, Elizabeth Price, Ella P. Reeve, Kathryn Reeve and Finley R. Porter. Two great grandchildren, Raymond K. Price and Phyllis Reeve."

Raymond K. Price is alive and I spoke with with him at length a few years ago. He was born after Seth Raynor died and has no recollection of Seth's wife, Araminta. He said he remembers it mentioned in passing that he was a relative of a golf course architect.

Raymond K. Price was Richard Nixon's speechwriter for Nixon's entire tenure as president.

Tom_Doak

Re: Seth Raynor's Siblings
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 07:07:32 AM »
A message from Bret Lawrence made me realize that most people do not know that Seth Raynor had siblings. That information was not included in The Evangelist of Golf. Also, Raynor did not have a son as the book states.

From the obituary of Ella Jagger Raynor that ran in the East Hampton Star newspaper on Nov. 14, 1935.

"She had five children, the first and last dying in childhood. Seth J. Raynor, her second son, who died in 1926, was known for his work as golf architect on many of the famous course in the country.

"She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Lulu B. Porter and Elizabeth R. Burnett. Six grandchildren, David Raynor Burnett, Lester R. Burnett, Elizabeth Price, Ella P. Reeve, Kathryn Reeve and Finley R. Porter. Two great grandchildren, Raymond K. Price and Phyllis Reeve."

Raymond K. Price is alive and I spoke with with him at length a few years ago. He was born after Seth Raynor died and has no recollection of Seth's wife, Araminta. He said he remembers it mentioned in passing that he was a relative of a golf course architect.

Raymond K. Price was Richard Nixon's speechwriter for Nixon's entire tenure as president.

Tony:  what relation is the Raynor who lives out in Southampton and is a bit involved in golf?  I met him years ago but not sure I remember his name correctly.

Declan Kavanagh

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 12:01:27 AM »
Joe Raynor in Southampton is Seth's fifth cousin, three times removed. I used to caddie for Joe.  Good guy.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »
T,

Perhaps George was waiting to do a more complete bio of Raynor in the book he was planning about him.

I think you may have misinterpreted George's mention of Raynor's 'son'. Here's what was written:

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:23:03 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:04:59 AM »
Anthony

I'd be a wee bit careful jumping to conclusions based on a newspaper obituary, particularly one for someone else. They can be great sources of info but not always entirely precise. And in any case the obit was a list of grandchildren who survived her.

Niall

Sean_Tully

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
A quick answer to figuring out if and how many children Raynor had would be the US census. Find Seth and his family and then follow them along through the following census to figure out how many children he had and their descendants that are here today. It is a ten year window and may miss some family members given the mortality rate back then. One can learn a lot by tracking people down this way, by this point we are looking at very old grand children and great-grand children.

Tully

Cal Seifert

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »
http://theaposition.com/anthonypioppi/golf/personalities/1919/rare-photographs-of-a-young-seth-raynor-shed-more-light-on-the-enigmatic-architect

Interesting insight from a living relative. "There are only two known interviews with Raynor and his direct quotes add up to fewer than a hundred words. He and Minta never had children, contrary to what the book Evangelist of Golf suggests, so that there were no direct descendants to preserve his legacy."

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 09:13:42 PM »
http://theaposition.com/anthonypioppi/golf/personalities/1919/rare-photographs-of-a-young-seth-raynor-shed-more-light-on-the-enigmatic-architect

Interesting insight from a living relative. "There are only two known interviews with Raynor and his direct quotes add up to fewer than a hundred words. He and Minta never had children, contrary to what the book Evangelist of Golf suggests, so that there were no direct descendants to preserve his legacy."

I must be missing something - it's written in black and tan in the EOG - "There's no record of the couple having children"

Must be the decline in reading comprehension skills.  ;)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/rrq.137/full
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 01:34:05 AM »
A quick answer to figuring out if and how many children Raynor had would be the US census. Find Seth and his family and then follow them along through the following census to figure out how many children he had and their descendants that are here today. It is a ten year window and may miss some family members given the mortality rate back then. One can learn a lot by tracking people down this way, by this point we are looking at very old grand children and great-grand children.

Tully

I've checked Ancestry.com and in the 1910 census Arriminta Raynor is listed as having 0 children.  In the 1920 census, the Raynor household does not list any children.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back