News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Matt Lauer's Top Golf Holes in the Hamptons
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
https://www.departures.com/travel/golf/matt-lauer-top-golf-holes-hamptons

With apologies to everyone I have ever criticized for posting a link to an article I have to say I found this timely. Matt has some insightful analysis.

Tim Martin

Re: Matt Lauer's Top Golf Holes in the Hamptons
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:37:09 AM »
It looks like he will have plenty of time to expand out of the Hampton's. Can someone help him with his golf lingo?!

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:42:23 AM »
" Beware the sand traps", one member says....

insightful stuff

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:04:17 AM »
In all fairness, the article was written by Holly Peterson so the hole descriptions may have been hers. Holly knows her Hamptons: https://pagesix.com/2017/05/14/holly-petersons-latest-novel-on-hamptons-millionaires-bad-behavior/

Sorry.

On an off topic note I was lucky enough to play several times at Riviera shortly after they expelled an infamous member who was later found not guilty. Do most clubs have scoundrel clauses in their bylaws?

Carl Rogers

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 03:19:04 PM »
I would think he and others would have the 21st century version of the "Scarlet Letter" hung around their necks.  He should contemplate leaving the country and getting plastic surgery.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 07:44:23 PM »
Or he could move to south Florida and hang out with OJ.  The latter really needs a steady, clubbable golfing partner.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 02:53:36 AM »
Is he that out of favour? On recent form, you guys will probably elect him President after this.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 02:03:24 PM »
Is he that out of favour? On recent form, you guys will probably elect him President after this.

Probably, if he's running against Hillary. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 10:56:43 AM »
Good to see all those public ...

Oh ...

right~
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »

Oh ...

right~

Pretty sure Matt never made it to The Goat....or Sag Harbor GC.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 11:05:49 AM »

Oh ...

right~

Are you suggesting he had too much focus on the privates?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 11:06:45 AM »
Maybe this will lead to a resurgence of the male only club. Or my personal preference, robot only.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 01:21:57 PM »
A) Any thread by JK is an automatic thrill ride for me.

B) Tongue in cheek, as there are few public access courses east of Bethpage worth the time (jeff mentioned a pair) Rochester (NY) has this problem as well. Loads of great privates and maybe 2.5 publics worth the time.

C) No, I suspect that he has not played much public golf, unless it was part of a show.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 02:46:44 PM »
A) Any thread by JK is an automatic thrill ride for me.

B) Tongue in cheek, as there are few public access courses east of Bethpage worth the time (jeff mentioned a pair) Rochester (NY) has this problem as well. Loads of great privates and maybe 2.5 publics worth the time.

C) No, I suspect that he has not played much public golf, unless it was part of a show.

Public?
not much
Sag Harbor-my occasional winter course-short, tight-
 convenient and affordable and beer is $2
Goat Hill-acquired taste
Montauk-5
Couple in Riverhead-Cherry creek x 2 Doak 3's
LI Natl-gone private
Island's End _North Fork Doak 3.5 but has a cool hole along the Sound where I made my first "Bridgie" actually a chippy bridgie

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »
This summer I was lucky enough to play all the famous privates in Rochester but found Mark Twain in nearby Elmira to be the best of the bunch. Elmira may not be fancy but you ain't getting by with disrespecting no women there, not twice.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 01:19:49 PM »

Joe wins the thread.

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »

Oh ...

right~

until it went public....

V. Kmetz

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 03:39:33 PM »

HA! The roulette wheel spins faster than that pal...way past Lauer (as attractive as his disgrace is) if it's from the left, we're talking "Oprah," maybe "Snoop," maybe Michelle Obama, maybe Quentin Tarrantino...maybe Bill Maher

If it's from the right, I'm thinking "Alex Jones," "Sarah Palin," "a Koch Bro. (pick one)," "Joel Osteen"...maybe even a re-brand of "Ah-nold" Swarzenneger (can you imagine how entertaining: "the Liberals daut deykeel mee when deyzink my state; but ahm bahk.")...don't worry they'll just do away with the rules about a foreign-born president...so much yadda, yadda.

Eventually, president by lottery...$1 billion in gold to be in the hopper...all other hopper balls given cabinet positions by Pat Sajack after completing puzzle with three more consonants and a vowel after Vana deeds the "R-S-T-L-E..."

cheers  vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back