News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Davidson

Rock Spring - West Orange, NJ
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »
Rock Spring has always been referred to as a Raynor/Banks, and per their website:

"Rock Spring is home to an 18 hole Par 71 golf course designed by Charles “Steamshovel” Banks and Seth Raynor. Raynor was assisted by Charles Banks, the designer of Montclair’s 4th nine, and the first nine holes opened for play on September 3, 1927, the second nine was seeded in the April of 1927 and play began on the full eighteen holes in the spring of 1928."

In researching Maplewood Country Club I came across an interesting article in the Maplewood Record dated February 27th, 1925:

W.G. Wilkinson was also connected to Arcola on these forums but I do not see any mentions of Rock Spring.  Anyone else have anything on this?  Perhaps an early routing that was abandoned? 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:50:58 PM by Mike Davidson »

Bill Brightly

Re: Rock Spring - West Orange, NJ
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 02:10:57 PM »
The routing obviously was abandoned. Perhaps the club changed their minds and hired Raynor? I'll send this on to one of my friends at Rock Spring and see what he knows.

MCirba

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Mike.

Have you found anything yet on Maplewood?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »
Raynor and Banks at Rock Spring -

Jan. 4, 1926 New York Sun -

Feb. 1927 American Golfer -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Keith Phillips

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 04:30:12 PM »
Mike that is a great find.  I'm a member of Montclair (Rock Spring was merged into our club in 2015) but was not aware of the Wilkinson proposal.  Very interesting, but there is no correlation with the course ultimately built by Raynor and Banks, which is fantastic and includes many strong templates.

Mike Davidson

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:24:46 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Mike.

Have you found anything yet on Maplewood?

Regarding Maplewood, I have the correct founding date, the architect for the first nine, and a scorecard from 1924 showing the full 18.  I can't find anything on the second nine being built between 1919 and 1924 but it had to be pretty soon after the first nine.  I am going to the Essex County hall of records at some point to see if anything good is there.  I wish someone would have put out a routing for Maplewood in that paper but that early Rock Spring one is very cool!  I wonder if Wilkinson was competing with Raynor for the job and paid for this article almost as an ad?

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:05:50 AM »
Thanks, Mike... I know that one it's been a mystery for a while. Would you care to divulge who the architect was?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike Davidson

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 09:07:54 AM »
See this thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64126.0/nowap.html

I have been meaning to reply and add more to this with what I have found lately.  Going to do that in the next week or two!

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:12:43 AM »
Mike,

Regarding Maplewood, have you ever checked with the Olmsted Archives?  They have a listing in their archives for Maplewood Country Club, Maplewood, NJ 1922-1923.  Folder number 7144.  I'm not sure what's in there, but maybe it includes some information on the golf course?

Bret

Mike Davidson

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 10:20:38 AM »
Mike,

Regarding Maplewood, have you ever checked with the Olmsted Archives?  They have a listing in their archives for Maplewood Country Club, Maplewood, NJ 1922-1923.  Folder number 7144.  I'm not sure what's in there, but maybe it includes some information on the golf course?

Bret

Thanks Brett!  I did actually have the Library of Congress pull number 7144 for me.  It is a letter from the building committee of Maplewood CC back and forth with them regarding a landscape plan for the grounds around the clubhouse.  While interesting, unfortunately has nothing regarding the course itself.

Kevin Neary

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 06:42:09 PM »
Like Mr. Phillips, I as well am a member at Montclair. Prior to the merger, however, I was a member at Rock Spring.

Rock Spring was organized by a group of ten citizens from West Orange in 1925, many from neighboring Essex County Country Club. While the Club History Book does not go into great detail about the Wilkinson Design, I am assuming that he was an early contact or simply drew up the plans on his own, hoping to land the job. However, one of the founding members, Charles F. Robbins, had a relationship with Seth Raynor. This relationship led to the club having to pay only a small fee for Raynor's design. Thus, Raynor was hired in 1926 to design the golf course.

Unfortunately, the land in the northeast corner of the property was deemed to be too rocky to adequately house a golf course. This land was sold, and land across Walker Road was purchased for the current fourth and fifth holes. Banks carried out the construction, but whether or not he followed Raynor's plans is a mystery to me. This explains the course's current layout.

I hope this helps to shed some light on your question.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:45:48 PM by Kevin Neary »

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »
Like Mr. Phillips, I as well am a member at Montclair. Prior to the merger, however, I was a member at Rock Spring.

Rock Spring was organized by a group of ten citizens from West Orange in 1925, many from neighboring Essex County Country Club. While the Club History Book does not go into great detail about the Wilkinson Design, I am assuming that he was an early contact or simply drew up the plans on his own, hoping to land the job. However, one of the founding members, Charles F. Robbins, had a relationship with Seth Raynor. This relationship led to the club having to pay only a small fee for Raynor's design. Thus, Raynor was hired in 1926 to design the golf course.

Unfortunately, the land in the northeast corner of the property was deemed to be too rocky to adequately house a golf course. This land was sold, and land across Walker Road was purchased for the current fourth and fifth holes. Banks carried out the construction, but whether or not he followed Raynor's plans is a mystery to me. This explains the course's current layout.

I hope this helps to shed some light on your question.

Kevin-When did Montclair aquire Rock Spring? Thanks.

Kevin Neary

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »
Kevin-When did Montclair aquire Rock Spring? Thanks.
The two clubs were merged in 2015.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back