News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Ultimate GCA Event
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »
In the relatively brief time that I have followed GCA, I have been struck by a couple of things:

1. The extent to which the membership is Global.

2. The extent to which members will travel for events to play with people who they have never met.

I have made it a practice not to comment on courses that I have not played or therefore to not ask hypothetical questions, but I pose the following:

What course would be the most enticing/attractive for a GCA Global event?

Of course there are some caveats: exclusive clubs are excluded and travel time is a major factor.

And this is a hypothetical: I don’t keep a handicap so whatever the suggestion, it is not an event in which I could participate as much as I might like to do so.

Ira

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:07:47 PM by Ira Fishman »

Brian Hilko

Re: Ultimate GCA Event
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 09:03:42 PM »
Sand belt with the option to continue on to Kings Island and Tasmania
Down with the brown

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:33:04 PM »
Well, being selfish, but not completely crazy...The Loop.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 11:00:47 PM »

Ciao

I like it.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 11:09:12 PM »
If you are taking about a global event, I would think the most appropriate would be to go to Scotland, the home of golf. Dare I suggest Prestwick, the home of OTM.

TOC is too obvious, and perhaps too overbooked.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 12:01:55 AM »
Take over the Marine Hotel and North Berwick.

Pat Burke

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 12:18:28 AM »
If you are taking about a global event, I would think the most appropriate would be to go to Scotland, the home of golf. Dare I suggest Prestwick, the home of OTM.

+1
With Persimmons and blades!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 04:44:43 AM »

Easily arranged, if this is the choice, but i suspect there will be as many answers to this question as there are posters!

My first thought was more along the lines of a place that's truly remote, not a home game for anyone, but worthwhile.  Himalayan Golf Club?  Lofoten?

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 08:30:13 AM »

+1
With Persimmons and blades!!

awesome
though North Berwick with same followed by Musselburgh with hickories isn't all bad...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 08:42:43 AM »
Tara Iti, Cape Wickham, Lofoten all sound enticing to me.
Mr Hurricane

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 11:24:10 AM »
I can't help thinking that those listing great, bucket list causes are missing the point.  Foe me, the ultimate GCA get together would be at a real hidden gem with real architectural interest.  I might be describing the very first BUDA, which I wasn't at.  So, for me, Kington.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:58 AM »
I can't help thinking that those listing great, bucket list causes are missing the point.  Foe me, the ultimate GCA get together would be at a real hidden gem with real architectural interest.  I might be describing the very first BUDA, which I wasn't at.  So, for me, Kington.

I was thinking Askernish
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

BCrosby

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »
Kington is a good idea. The Loop would also be fun.

I've only played The Loop, but I am reasonably confident either would stimulate a number of interesting post-round conversations.

Bob

Craig Disher

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 12:26:23 PM »

An event shared between Painswick and Cleeve Cloud would be ideal and hits the goal dead on.  If I missed this I'd feel my golfing life was a failure.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »
I'm with Mark.  For me, GCA isn't about the bucket list courses.  Everyone knows about those.  I've loved the GCA events that draw people to places they might not ordinarily go, but are very much worth seeing. 

Kington/Cleeve/Painswick would be awesome.  Kington is the best course of the three, but a little further away.  All could be played on the same trip.  I haven't played Minchinhampton, but think it could easily be added.

For me personally, Garland's Prestwick suggestion is even better.  I really do want to see that course.

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 01:06:18 PM »

Mark

Forget a new event!  Perhaps we should make a proper push to have Buda at Kington?  I have my doubts and am therefore reticent, but one never knows how things will turn out.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 02:56:06 PM »
If it is outside the range of an traditional outing (KP, Buda, Mashie, Dixie) and one timers (Boomerang, Cabo) I'd say the North Island of New Zealand, Vietnam or China. Don't want to be anywhere close to Korean Peninsula.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 03:14:44 PM »
If you want people to travel, you need a course of stature and it should be in Scotland with the right kind of history and quirk.

A day at Prestwick with lunch would be the right answer.

All very well going to a Kington / Cleeve Cloud type of place but it's the BUDA regulars stating that... You want to pull in the new to GCA types that have maybe yet to make their first trip to Scotland.

MCirba

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »
I'm turning 60 next year if all goes well so I'd be keenly interested.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

JMEvensky

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »
Gulph Mills with The Lurker as host.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »
Gulph Mills with The Lurker as host.

+1
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Simon Holt

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 05:02:47 PM »
A shoulder season week in St Andrews, all staying in the same hotel and drinking in the same bars, everyone balloting each day with no guarantees.

The joy of getting on the Old, pulling for other guys to get on, being terrified of being that guy that has to sleep outside the starters hut on the final day because your name hasn't appeared all week.  One big group outing at Crail on the final Sunday when the Old is closed.

A plethora of affordable/high-end, quirky/old/modern designs.  New, Eden, Jube, KB, Carnoustie, Panmure, Scotscraig, Lundin, Crail, Elie.....and many more.  All within 30-40 minutes drive, many within 15.

The week of the Masters is arguably the best time for this.  Most of the courses are still on lower rates, Old has just come off mats, prime time golf on the tube in all the bars.  Plus the weather in April is often much better than anyone realises.

1h15mins from a well serviced airport.  The stories, the new friends.  You said the ultimate, so don't fight it to be contrary.  Just accept it and book your flights :-)
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 05:08:07 PM »
A shoulder season week in St Andrews, all staying in the same hotel and drinking in the same bars, everyone balloting each day with no guarantees.

The joy of getting on the Old, pulling for other guys to get on, being terrified of being that guy that has to sleep outside the starters hut on the final day because your name hasn't appeared all week.  One big group outing at Crail on the final Sunday when the Old is closed.

A plethora of affordable/high-end, quirky/old/modern designs.  New, Eden, Jube, KB, Carnoustie, Panmure, Scotscraig, Lundin, Crail, Elie.....and many more.  All within 30-40 minutes drive, many within 15.

The week of the Masters is arguably the best time for this.  Most of the courses are still on lower rates, Old has just come off mats, prime time golf on the tube in all the bars.  Plus the weather in April is often much better than anyone realises.

1h15mins from a well serviced airport.  The stories, the new friends.  You said the ultimate, so don't fight it to be contrary.  Just accept it and book your flights :-)

Notwithstanding the outrageously egregious omission of Leven, I’m 100% in agreement with my learned friend...

Best,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »

Of course we could save everybody the travel and agree on playing the same course at the same time on your nearest golf simulator with a video (conference) meal afterwards. Slightly odd ball I know but maybe more realistic than expecting lots of people to travel half way round the globe.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
A shoulder season week in St Andrews, all staying in the same hotel and drinking in the same bars.......

Despite conveniently for me residing not far from some of those GCA favourites mentioned above and being somewhat fond of them, and despite having a longing to play in no particular order others mentioned including The Loop, Askernish and Lofoten Links, I would go along with a shoulder season week at St Andrews.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back