News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Hohman

hospital beside golf course
« on: November 18, 2017, 07:11:04 PM »
Rancho Mirage Country Club, whose course appears to be on the road to recovery, is beside Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage CA. Where else does a hospital overlook a golf course?
newmonumentsgc.com

James Brown

Re: hospital beside golf course
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 08:20:48 PM »
University of New Mexico North Course is one.

Also, you might argue Torrey Pines as well.  Other side of a big road.

Blake Conant

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 08:57:35 PM »
Saratoga Golf and Polo Club with a hospital next door.  A heli pad next to the practice range/9th fairway.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 09:13:53 PM »
Santa Anita Golf Course in Arcadia, CA. Arcadia Methodist Hospital sits on the strip of land between the golf course to the east and the race track to the west. Borders the fifth and eighth holes, the sixth tee and the seventh green.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:31:02 AM by Bill Seitz »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 09:54:17 PM »
Twenty plus years ago when I was with Ernst and Young I did some audit work at Loretto Hospital in Chicago and there was a golf course across the street. Don't know anything about the golf course and the neighborhood wasn't all that great back then.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:24:10 PM by Bill Gayne »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 11:40:17 PM »
The rather charming 9-hole Mirrlees Golf Club (NLE) in Stockport lay in the shadow of the huge Stepping Hill Hospital. Sadly the course closed in the mid 1980s  when the owners decided to sell for a housing development.

Planning permission however, was not forthcoming and the course lies abandoned to this day; its fairways clearly discernible but unused other than by a few local dog walkers.

I suspect that Mirrlees's destiny - at least in part - is as a much needed parking lot for the ever-expanding hospital.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/53%C2%B022'59.0%22N+2%C2%B008'20.5%22W/@53.3826938,-2.143813,1095m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.383047!4d-2.139037

http://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/england/north-west/cheshire/510-manc-mirrlees-golf-club-woodsmoor-lane-hazel-grove-stockport
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:44:21 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 11:41:44 PM »
Fresh Meadow and Deepdale are adjacent to North Shore Hospital

noonan

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 12:13:44 AM »
Miami Valley CC Dayton

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 02:28:29 AM »
In San Diego, the 9th and part of the 10th at Torrey Pines South has Scripps Green Hospital and at Balboa, the VA Hospital is across the canyon and is a prominent sight for 15 holes.
In NY, the Patriot Hills Golf Course is routed through the former Stoney Point Psychiatric Hospital with the clubhouse as part of one of the buildings

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 07:38:03 AM »

In NY, the Patriot Hills Golf Course is routed through the former Stoney Point Psychiatric Hospital with the clubhouse as part of one of the buildings

The facility formerly located on the premises on which Patriot Hills now occupies a part, was  called Letchworth Village, which operated from 1911 to 1996. For most of its time it was a facility where people with disabilities were warehoused and mistreated.

About 10 miles south of Patriot Hills is a nine hole course called Broadacres which is in the middle of the land that was formerly  Rockland State Psychiatric Hospital (now call Rockland Psychiatric Center) which operated as in inpatient psychiatric hospital that opened in 1927. until the 1960's  it had approximately 9,000 residential patients. The course was designed and built in 1962 by hospital staff. Only a portion of the hospital facility remains open and solely as an outpatient facility.

Patriot Hills #15 approach w/ Letchwworth Village Building

Patriot Hills #17 par 3  w. LV bldg

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:43:43 AM by Stewart Abramson »

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 08:33:33 AM »
Stony Brook Medical Center sits in the shadow of St. George’s Golf Club.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »
Any course with a driving range.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »
Any course with a driving range.....

;D ;D

Dave Doxey

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »
Grover Cleveland course in Buffalo immediately comes to mind.  The original 1912 US Open course destroyed by the building of a VA hospital on some of the holes, forcing a redesign into a bland muni.

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »
Trenton Country Club in NJ sits next to a state mental hospital.

If Mike Trenham sees this he may share a very funny personal recollection.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike Schott

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 02:13:23 PM »
The back nine of the Inkster Valley Golf Course near Detroit Metro Airport has a few holes bordering a psychiatric hospital.

Greg Hohman

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »
I ask the question because, after spending more hours in hospitals than I care to add up with my poor partner, I am compelled to juxtapose the two worlds in a short work of fiction: pain/anesthesia, medical technology, medical staff (good and bad), antiseptic rooms, apprehension of future bills separated – by a window – from the pleasure garden known as a golf course.

Suzanne loves the desert, so Eisenhower is a contender. We live in San Diego, so Scripps Green overlooking Torrey is a contender. The Navy Hospital beside Balboa is out because we are not military, and it is separated from the golf course by a canyon, two roads within the canyon, and a chain-link fence. All that being said, the site does not have to be local or familiar to us because I'm writing fiction. Thanks!

newmonumentsgc.com

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
The Veterans Administration Hospital at the end of Clement Street in San Francisco overlooks and is next door to the Lincoln Park muni golf course.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 07:39:51 AM »
At Harry Colt's Southfield (or Oxford GC as it has been renamed) in err.. Oxford, the short par three seventeenth is backed by a chain link fence behind which sits a small parking lot that serves the Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, part of the enormous Churchill Hospital complex, of which I have been a patient for fifteen years.

Once, while playing Southfield, I came to the seventeenth, hit my normal club for the hole and airmailed the green. My ball took one bounce over the fence and into the parking lot. Suffice to say that I made sure to park my car on the far side the next time I attended OCDEM.

Access to the Churchill for private cars has become horrendous in recent years. They are building a substantial new multi-storey car park, but given the rate at which the hospital is growing I don't think it will cope for very long. Southfield is only on leased land; I'm afraid to say that eventually I see the golf course closing for development, at least part of which would be the hospital.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 08:08:23 AM »
The huge building on Bala's property used to be a hospital (it is now a nursing and rehabilitation center).
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matt Dawson

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »
Adam

My favourite Southfield story concerns Leonard Crawley, the 4 time Walker Cup representative, superb all-round sportsman and long-time golf correspondent of the Daily Telegraph.

Mr Crawley said of Southfield's fairways that they "resembled the Somme" so muddy did he find them during a winter game

As he ascended one particular hole, he wrote that "the awful shrieking of pigs meeting their maker in the abattoir bordering the fairway almost drove me to distraction, and caused me to stumble and lose my shoe in the mud of the fairway - at which point I idly mused to my caddie about the possibility of switching places with the wretched animals"

So not only a hospital, but a slaughterhouse as well

Cob Carlson

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 10:21:04 AM »
Patriot GC is a 1957 quirky little 9 hole track in Bedford, MA. It used to be called Hanscom, affiliated with nearby Air Force base. It sits right next to a VA Hospital. Has a great driving range with grass tees that is little used. Only the practice areas are open to the general public.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »
Exmoor in Lake Forest has a hospital next door.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 12:41:30 PM »
Peter Jans plays right next to Evanston Hospital.

I believe the 4th hole at Brookline is called "Hospital" as there used to be a mental hospital behind the green.
H.P.S.

Mike Baillie

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 03:36:40 PM »
Galt Country Club a Stanley Thompson design is 1 hour west of Toronto.  It is a short course at just over 6,100 yards from the regular tees.  Several fun short par 4s.  Slice or push the opening tee shot, likely with a hybrid or long iron, and you are on Cambridge Memorial Hospital property.  I was a member there in 1981 before moving to the Toronto area.

One hour further west in London, the University of Western Ontario Hospital sits on the prior (pre-1965) site of the London Hunt Club.  Nothing to do with GCA but an interesting Moe Norman story that illustrates that there was something unique about his mind.  A few years before he passed he had some surgery there.  When he woke up in the company of a few Kitchener area golf professionals, they asked if he knew where he was.  He replied that he was on the 3rd green of London Hunt!  The hospital building was where the 3rd green was!  Moe then described virtually every hole even though no one had played them in 35 plus years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back