News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil Regan

Re: That's a wrap - Bethpage Black
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 10:41:21 AM »

That new bunker on nine still looks as atrocious as ever. It remains an example of a solution in search of a problem.

Bethpage is managed by NYS.
It could have been this:

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

mike_malone

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 11:42:45 AM »
A grassy hill is better than a bunker. This is an example of excessive bunkering at BB.
AKA Mayday

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »
Just finished my round at bethpage. I suppose my overall impression was that this is indeed an incredibly difficult course and it gave me a real feeling of what a US open course is like ( having no previous experience)

It is the most exacting test of driving I have ever played. Many fairways 25 yards wide with 2 yards of fist cut before getting to the most dense rough I have ever played. I think it is overly penal as the penalty often outweighs the crime but I suppose the masochism is part of the appeal at bethpage.

It's obviously still a great course. The front 9 in particular is awash with great holes in my opinion that would just benefit from some widening. The back 9 I found more a long very difficult slog but with some fine moments, particularly enjoyed 17 and near birdie on 18.

The greens were very true and understated. I'm not convinced they are partilarly weak as if you add difficult greens to a near impossible long game course it would be a complete nightmare! but yes they certainly do not have much wow factor about them ( compared to Essex that I played prior)

So overall, probably the toughest course I have played, great holes but overly penal rough for minor driving errors. Would love another crack at it in the future though

Joe Bausch

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »
+1 Alan.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 06:20:49 AM »
I got a couple of notes from people, thanks.

I think the Bethpage reservation system now accepts out of state reservations. NY State has priority and the number is on this FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/BethpageStateParkGolf
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Michael Felton

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 09:57:12 AM »
I got a couple of notes from people, thanks.

I think the Bethpage reservation system now accepts out of state reservations. NY State has priority and the number is on this FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/BethpageStateParkGolf

In state can book 7 days in advance. Out of state used to have to wait till 2 days before, but they changed that this year to 5 days before. You need to register in the system, which I think means faxing them some info.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
A grassy hill is better than a bunker. This is an example of excessive bunkering at BB.

Mike Dr. MacK has done his fair share of bunkers built into the side of a hill.  I really like the feature alot, as long as its not overused. 

Never played BB, but it looks fantastic and it seems the key there is picking your line with tons of risk/reward...

Michael Felton

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
I never saw that hole prior to the bunker being put in, but I really like it. It drags my line of sight towards it and I am always tempted to take it on, even when it's not the smart play. Clearing it leaves you with a wedge in, while playing safely out to the right can leave you with a 4 or 5 iron to the green. No party at all. I don't know if it would be the same with just a grassy bank. The bunker is also very intimidating if you don't hit it past it and are down in the dip short of it. Your second is played standing in front of a wall of sand. That definitely concentrates the mind more than would a grass bank. I also don't think it looks out of place. The style of the bunker to me looks like it fits with the rest of the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back