News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Vicki Martz - RIP
« on: April 13, 2017, 06:07:17 PM »
With tremendous sadness, I report that our good friend and ASGCA member Vicki Martz passed away this morning. Vicki came into the ASGCA in the same year as me. We shared many good times and I will always remember her smile and the brightness she brought to any gathering. I am sure many here will comment on her work, which I only knew about from photos and through others. Today I was standing on the 2nd hole (rough graded) of a new project when the news came. I paused to hear birds and nature — both of which Vicki loved dearly.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Adam Lawrence

Re: Vicki Martz - RIP
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 06:09:11 PM »
I have met many lovely people in the golf business, but Vicki was truly one of the nicest. May she rest in peace.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 06:31:40 PM »
Obituary in Golf Course Industry:

http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/article/vicki-martz-golf-architect/

An impressive career and an impressive person.

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »
I am sorry to hear of her passing. Ms Martz appears to have been respected and well-loved.

I would like to know more about her work in golf architecture with the Palmer group or elsewhere. I confess to not knowing much about her career. Related is that the USGA is putting together a presentation on women in golf architecture to be shown at the US Women's Open this summer. Something on Ms Martz might fit nicely.

Bob

P.S. Thanks for posting her obit, David. I will pass it along.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »

Vicki was as charming and engaging a person as you'd ever meet. She was gracious and honest and willing to share anything she knew with you. I was lucky to have a wonderful sit down talk with her and Jan at my first meeting and that conversation stuck with me over the years. I admired them both for what they accomplished, had to share and how welcome I was in the conversation.

She was one of the architects I most look forward to seeing at the annual meetings. I was particularly excited at the prospect of having her, Jan and Cynthia all speak at a panel on design the same day we honour Alice Dye. I'm sad that won't happen. I liked listening to what she had to share.
-

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »

Very saddening to me.

I read the obit linked here. I got an interview for the second course at Lakewood Ranch in FL.  They hired Palmer, and specifically Vikki.  In the phone call notifying me, they went on at great length describing how happy they were to work with Vikki, and that the interview was mostly a formality brought on by company policy.  I mean, there are clients who endorse and praise their architects, but this was one of the most genuinely enthusiast praise I have ever heard.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:17:08 AM »
Vicky was one of the first people I met in the ASGCA as she and Jan were assigned to review my work. She was a great intro into the Society and always a pleasure to talk with and learn from...always smiling, open and a pleasure to be around...she made you feel special and I always looked forward to reuniting each year with her and husband Gary.

She will be greatly missed by many. My condolences to the family.

Rest in peace Vicky.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back