News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

Re: Nearest Course To You Which You Haven't Played.
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2017, 08:41:49 AM »
Indeed I've played there twice through this route. Ask for a room in the new casitas at the back of the property, they are very nice with fireplaces and free firewood. The food at the Inn is outstanding. You can also do it through Hotel Valencia but that will cost about 6x as much as RSFI!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2017, 03:39:08 PM »

• What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Stonewall
  • Approximately where do you live? Chester Springs, PA
  • Why?  Stonewall - doesn't allow outside play.
  • Who designed it?  Doak/Hanse/Urbina
  • What's stopping you?  Nothing in particular.

Jason Topp

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2018, 08:09:51 PM »

Next closest is Pueblo El Mirage, a "Fuzzy Zoeller" design. Looks utterly awful.

I once nearly killed a guy exiting his 5th Wheel early in the morning.  My snap hook rattled around underneath the camper.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Either Atlanta Country Club or Indian Hills Country Club

Approximately where do you live? Atlanta, GA

Why?  Neither course allows outside play

Who designed it?  ACC - Willard Byrd; Indian Hills - Joe Lee

What's stopping you?  I'm not a member
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:00:59 PM by Edward Glidewell »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2018, 08:41:16 PM »
I live in the West Valley of Phoenix.

PUBLIC:  Peoria Pines, an "executive " course at 4500y, designed by Greg Nash.

PRIVATE: Arrowhead CC, a Palmer design. Missed an opportunity to play there in an inter-club event. Next in line is Phoenix CC although I walked the course during the recent Schwab Cup event and was very impressed. Designed by Harry Collis in the 1920s and renovated by Lehman/Fought in 2002.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Garland Bayley

« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2018, 11:11:16 PM »
Private: Columbia Edgewater.
Not an access whore. However, I recently put up a photo tour from attending LPGA event.

Public: Camas Meadows. Walker. This course is routed through a business park with long green to tee distances. Had a free round coupon that I was saved from using by showing up on the day they punched greens.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Cal Seifert

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2018, 12:25:19 AM »
East end of long island: Maidstone, Shinny, FH

MCirba

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2018, 07:20:06 AM »
I live on a mountain in the woods 8 miles outside of Lehighton, PA, where I'm presently adding four foot thick lead walls to my basement in anticipation of the next four years.   :-X

Nearest privates to me I haven't played are two nine hole community courses, Naomi Lakes Timber Trails (1974 - likely Logan Steele and Ray Hansen) (32.3 miles) and Thornhurst Estates CC (Art Hitson 1963) (38.5 miles).

Nearest public is a 1150 yard par three nine hole course at Newfoundland GC (Vance Megargel/John Rasmussen 1947) (51.6 miles)

Of 18 hole private courses, the nearest are Panther Valley CC (Allamuchy, NJ) (RTJ Sr.) (52 miles), while in PA I haven't played Squires GC in Horsham, PA (George Fazio)  (63.3 miles) and Old York Road CC (William/David Gordon) nearby (65.3).

Nearest public 18 hole course I haven't played is too difficult to determine but is likely something in northern NJ, but in PA they would be Rock Creek GC in Nicholson, PA (72.5 miles) and Cricket Hill GC near Honesdale (78 miles).

Other than lack of invites, I have no real reasons for not playing any of them and would enjoy playing them all, even if some are likely horrific architecturally based on drive by's.  :)

After posting this I've since played Newfoundland, Crkcket Hill, and two holes of Timber Trails (thunderstorms).   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

jeffwarne

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »
Bellport and Pine Hills
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MLevesque

« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2018, 08:54:07 AM »
Live in greater New Haven, Connecticut

Private:  Fisher's Island.  A ferry ride and an invitation away.  Will be exploring any and all opportunities to play this Reynor gem.

Public:  Hotchkiss school.  This "You can't get there from here" Banks 9 holer is 1.5 hour drive on the way to nowhere in the northwest hills in Connecticut but I'm determined to carve out time this season to visit.

I am Skew!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2018, 09:06:13 AM »
Lake Shore which is private and located near Skokie and other nice North Shore courses. Bendelow was the original architect and Prichard did the most recent work on the course. I’ve heard it has a lot of ravines like Shoreacres but they aren’t strategically important. Will try to get out there this summer.

In terms of public courses, I’m keen on playing Esler’s restoration of Mount Prospect.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Pearce

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
Every time I play my home course I pass City of Newcastle GC, which I have never played, despite having lessons there.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2018, 11:41:26 AM »
  • What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Joliet Country Club
  • Approximately where DID you live? Shorewood, Ill.
  • Why?  Too busy as a kid before college and only played golf in between sports in the summer basically.  Didn't start playing golf more until after I graduated college.
  • Who designed it? I think it was Tom Bendelow
  • What's stopping you?  Always played Inwood GC a muni where my dad worked part time and still does for the last 40 years. Plus my dad is very frugal and blue collar, I grew up thinking only the rich kids played there, so I guess it stuck.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2018, 02:09:17 PM »
East end of long island: Maidstone, Shinny, FH
Also on the east end.  Too numerous to even mention.

Brian Ross

« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2018, 03:29:48 PM »
Public

What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Little River Golf & Resort or Whispering Woods Golf Club, both about 3 miles away.
Approximately where do you live? Near the Airport in Pinehurst.
Who designed it? Dan Maples
What would the answer be if you played it your next round? Whichever of the two listed about that I didn't play. Beyond that, either Talamore or Longleaf.
What's stopping you? Time and a wealth of public options nearby. They're a bit lower on the list than some other places.

Private

What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Forest Creek Golf Club
Who designed it? Fazio
What would the answer be if you played it your next round? Country Club of North Carolina, I think.
What's stopping you? Time mostly.
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2018, 03:46:08 PM »
For me it must be Alness since it became an 18 holer. Otherwise it would be Skibo.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2018, 04:38:31 PM »
There must be dozens of courses in the Manchester area  I haven't played, and very few that interest me,

As for well-known courses, I have never played Birkdale or Royal Lytham, despite living an hour away. They are just too damn expensive.  I'm happy enough with Formby and Wallasey, for less than half the price.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:42:39 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »
I've now played all the Buffalo-area private clubs, so the next closest private clubs would be Hamilton, Ontario (any Ancaster members out there?) or Rochester (calling Oak Hill, Monroe, et al.) I still haven't hit the mom'n pops in between Buffalo and the PA border, so perhaps I'll get out to them this year.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

V. Kmetz

« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2018, 09:33:23 PM »
I barely play any more but reading this thread makes me feel guilty for the local wealth I have enjoyed...

I actually had to look at a map...

Where do you live?: Danbury CT.

Nearest PRIVATE un-played: CC of New Canaan (about 14 miles away)

Why? I was supposed to caddie for a US Am qualifier and play with him for his practice round, but it was rained out, and then he had to withdraw a week before...never had occasion again. I've never heard of it being that special, but the property is fairly old and somewhat visible from a regular thoroughfare which I used to pass all the time.

Public: Centennial (Carmel NY).

Why?This is kind of insane because it's close I had a hundred occasions/inducements to play there from its opening day, as I worked for one of the original owners at that time.  Almost played it last year on August 14, but plans went awry.

cheers   vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2018, 10:08:49 PM »

Updating my post on page 2
I have one course left to play in my home state, Oregon. That is Woodburn Senior Estates, about 45 minutes south. It is private with a restrictive guest policy.  I should play there sometime in April.
Closest others are three 9 holers along the Columbia River in Washington. Closest private is somewhere around Centralia or Olympia, about two hours away.

BHoover

« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2018, 12:45:04 AM »
The closest course to me I haven’t played is Elkridge Club, a Raynor in Baltimore and less than 5 minutes from my house. The reason I haven’t played there is because it’s private and I’m not a member.

John Nixon

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2018, 07:12:08 AM »
What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Two categories: Public and Private.

Public: Fair Way Golf Course - Lebanon, Indiana - 28.7 miles
Private: The Club at Chatham Hills - Westfield, Indiana - 10.4 miles

So you've played Hickory Bend, just west of Wolf Run on route 32? I pass that one by every time I'm on the way to Trophy Club. Might stop by some day.

I live about a mile and a half from Mr. Sander. Mine:
Private: Crooked Stick 5 miles. Why not: On the rare occasions I run into someone I learn is a member I'm never comfortable feeling as though I'm begging for access.
Public: Prairie View 2 miles. RTJ Jr. Why not: I'm a cheapskate, too many good, less expensive courses in the area.

Next closest private: The Bridgewater Club. Pete Dye.
Next closest public: Pebble Brook, North Course. Ron Kern. I've played the South.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:34:24 AM by John Nixon »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
I live in mid-Cheshire, England.

I have never played Vale Royal Abbey (ca 10 miles away), a Simon Gidman course, because it opened after I had written my Cheshire book, and then other things took my fancy. If you are going to play in that area you play Sandiway or Delamere, which I could usually play for nothing.

Nor have I played Pryors Hayes which is a public course near Delamere, by John Day, and if you can play Delamere or Sandiway....

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2018, 11:53:34 PM »
I've now played all the Buffalo-area private clubs, so the next closest private clubs would be Hamilton, Ontario (any Ancaster members out there?) or Rochester (calling Oak Hill, Monroe, et al.) I still haven't hit the mom'n pops in between Buffalo and the PA border, so perhaps I'll get out to them this year.
There are several good private closes in Niagara that are a lot closer to you than Hamilton. Lookout Point and Cherry Hill are two Travis designs- have you played them?  Then there is St. Catherine’s as well.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »
I live in Golden Valley, MN.

The nearest courses that I haven't played are two muni 9-hole par 3 courses that are about the same distance from me: New Hope Village and Centerbrook.

The closest full course I haven't played is probably Victory Links in Blaine, MN. It is actually a place I would be interested in playing, but I just haven't gotten there.

I have played all of the private clubs in the Twin Cities with the exception of the 9-hole Lafayette Club. It seems like way more of a social club than a golf club as it is on the shores of Lake Minnetonka. The course is only 2148 yards and par 31. I have never given any effort toward playing there.

If I was to play there, the next closest private club I haven't played is probably Austin Country Club in Austin, MN. It is 107 miles from my house. I am kind of surprised I have never played there as a friend from my junior golf days grew up there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back