News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Gilson

Re: Is there a less wanky term for 'green complex'?
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
Jeff, this is a pretty silly thread but that's a wonderful post & an interesting insight into constructing ANY green. It was an eye-opener for me & I have some sort of understanding of what goes into GCA.

I am going to print this out & hand it to my next wanky playing partner who approaches a green & says something like "who built this green & what were they thinking"!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 05:42:05 PM »
Usually stated as "What the H*** were they thinking?"

The other thing that struck me as I looked at the list is how easy it is to get into too much standardization, not enough creativity, once you do all the things that do need to be done.  Seems limiting, but on the other hand, how many great rock songs are done within the limitation of about three chords?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

paul cowley

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 10:38:44 PM »
OK...I'll bite...what does the term 'less wanky' mean? I'm not sure I understand
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mark_F

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 04:42:08 AM »
OK...I'll bite...what does the term 'less wanky' mean? I'm not sure I understand

It means you don't feed the chooks as often as you used to.

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »
Yes of course, Greg, this is a "pretty silly thread". That was its intention -- you can imagine my surprise when I logged back in to discover that some people thought it was a genuine and very serious enquiry... But at least it shook Jeff Brauer's list out of the tree, which some appear to have enjoyed, so...

Bradley Anderson hits on the head what led to me thinking about the topic, though. If you find the phrase "green complex" wanky (and maybe it's just that I can't grow a beard for shit, so I have nothing above the belt to stroke while I say "green complex") then simply saying "green" leads people to think you're referring to the putting surface in isolation and "green site" seems to refer only to the piece of ground upon which the green and green complex are built.

JLahrman got us the closest to something -- the "neighbourhood" suggestion.

"Greencock" wasn't bad either.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 09:24:01 PM »
Yes:  my friend Ron Prichard says just call it all the green!

Ron told me he likes the term green pad.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back