News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Burnes

Tim_Cronin

Re: Disrupting Routing for TV
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 01:47:43 AM »
The first course rerouting for TV I know of was Olympia Fields North in 1961. While a specific document detailing the reason was not found, it's obvious that the usual 17th, 18th, 10th and 9th holes became 15-16-17-18 for TV. The camera cables needed to be short runs to get a good picture back to the truck in that era, so the PGA rearranged the routing for CBS.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:00:31 AM »
The routing at Harding Park was changed for the Presidents Cup and for the World Matchplay to bring the 16th, 17th & 18th holes (among the most dramatic & scenic holes on the course) into play earlier in the back-nine of the round. For PGA strokeplay events that have been held there, the standard routing has been used.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 10:27:59 AM »
When did composite courses for tournaments come about?

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »
Hazeltine's change is a no-brainer and has nothing to do with TV. It has everything to do with tents.

The left side of the original 7th hole is perfect for tents with a great view of the hole, while leaving plenty of room for spectators who are not in the tents.  Having those tents at the 16th allows the premium customer to have a spot at a prime dramatic moment in many matches.  I cannot imagine how much additional revenue came in due to this change but I suspect it was many, many millions.

I also think the change will improve the drama of the matches as they are coming to the close.  Ryder Cup holes 15-17 are the best stretch of holes on the course.  There should be a lot of birdies, a few eagles and a few meltdowns. 

By contrast, the original holes 15-17 were relatively bland - a straight par 5 with a bunch of bunkers (15, now 6), an iron off the tee and a pitch to the green (16 now 7) and a medium length par 3 where the primary interest comes from a nasty green. 

John Connolly

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 06:47:46 PM »
I don't think the expectations of playing golf and watching golf are the same, so it's not surprising. It's about economics, viewing practicality and expediency. Routing fundamentals are irrelevant for events like these. 50% of the players and 90% of the viewing public won't even know how the course developed.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Matthew Rose

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 07:33:22 PM »
When did composite courses for tournaments come about?

Was Royal Melbourne's the first?

I also thought of TCC in 1963; were they using the third nine by that point?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 07:39:40 PM »
Hazeltine's change is a no-brainer and has nothing to do with TV. It has everything to do with tents.

The left side of the original 7th hole is perfect for tents with a great view of the hole, while leaving plenty of room for spectators who are not in the tents.  Having those tents at the 16th allows the premium customer to have a spot at a prime dramatic moment in many matches.  I cannot imagine how much additional revenue came in due to this change but I suspect it was many, many millions.

I also think the change will improve the drama of the matches as they are coming to the close.  Ryder Cup holes 15-17 are the best stretch of holes on the course.  There should be a lot of birdies, a few eagles and a few meltdowns. 

By contrast, the original holes 15-17 were relatively bland - a straight par 5 with a bunch of bunkers (15, now 6), an iron off the tee and a pitch to the green (16 now 7) and a medium length par 3 where the primary interest comes from a nasty green.

My understanding is that the 16th and 17th were originally changed because the USGA didn't like the short par-four 17th hole, the predominant quote being "it took the driver out of the players hands"....

This experiment kind of makes one wonder why the USGA simply didn't just switch the nines instead of getting them to go through the crazy makeover that they did.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back