News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Below is an opportunity to nominate a golf course that has improved over the last year.  What are your suggestions?

We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting nominations for the Most Improved Golf Course of the Year competition.
This competition will recognize the golf facilities that improved their operations the most in the prior year. Last year the competition was named the Operator of the Year.
We are focusing this year’s competition on the facility, in recognition that it takes a team to improve the operations at a golf course or club.
There are four categories — private club, daily fee, municipal and resort. Each has slightly different criteria. Applications are due Sept. 23 and there is no fee to enter.
Judges will look for the courses or clubs that improved their value proposition the most in the past year. For private clubs, this is often related to number of members or member satisfaction; for daily fee, this is related to number of rounds, events and other revenue generation; for municipal it is usually based on the value to the community; for resort, it is related to number of hotel nights and rounds.Private clubs: Membership growth, increase in initiation fees, increase in dues, Number on wait list, capital investment
  • Daily fee: Increase in rounds, increase in course revenue, increase in revenue per round, capital investment
  • Municipal: Increase in rounds, Cash flow improvement, capital investment
  • Resorts: Increase in occupancy rate, increase in greens fees, capital investment
  • Honorees will be published in the November/December issue of Golf Inc.
    Applications deadline: Sept. 23
    How to enter: Email Jack@cypressmagazines.com
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:39:30 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Rees Milikin

Re: Golf Inc Magazine Most Improved golf courses
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 06:23:32 PM »
If this isn't Mt. Prospect GC in a LANDSLIDE, something is violently, violently wrong!

Keney Park might be up there as well

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 06:31:04 PM »
If this isn't Mt. Prospect GC in a LANDSLIDE, something is violently, violently wrong!

Has it experienced an "Increase in rounds," and "Cash flow improvement," which are the first two criteria for municipal courses? 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:14:08 PM »
I'll nominate two privates:Sherwood CC in CA and Deal in NJ.
Sherwood made a number of big changes. They reduced the amount of acreage that needs to be water, did some major tree removal and did a bunker renovation. Deal renovated all the bunkers, worked on the greens, and removed some trees.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:37:02 PM »
This is more business oriented then architectural but in a way they are related. I'm submitting a club from California that has gained 150 members and now has a waiting list.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 11:02:21 PM »
In the muni category, Grand Canyon University GC, formerly Maryvale, the  Phoenix muni, was renovated and received a new club house as GCU took over management and invested about 10M. Play has increased dramatically. I'll pass this along to them to enter.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Blake Conant

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 11:17:50 PM »
This is more business oriented then architectural but in a way they are related. I'm submitting a club from California that has gained 150 members and now has a waiting list.

If someone can beat that they deserve to win

Greg Chambers

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 11:26:58 PM »
Sherwood made a number of big changes. They reduced the amount of acreage that needs to be water, did some major tree removal and did a bunker renovation. Deal renovated all the bunkers, worked on the greens, and removed some trees.

Uhhh...Sherwood was WAY more than turf removal, tree removal and bunker renovation!
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 11:50:39 PM »
How about Eckenrode's recent renovations? Orinda? Brentwood? Quail Lodge?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 05:44:00 AM »

Uhhh...Sherwood was WAY more than turf removal, tree removal and bunker renovation!

Thought the same thing. Re-grassed entire property, irrigation, moved green, ect...Basically a brand new course with the old footprint.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »

Thought the same thing. Re-grassed entire property, irrigation, moved green, ect...Basically a brand new course with the old footprint.

I'm not sure Sherwood had a membership problem? I think they where full before and after.

Dave Doxey

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »

Doubtful that this will result in any meaningful results, given the metrics:

"Private clubs: Membership growth, increase in initiation fees, increase in dues, Number on wait list, capital investment

Daily fee: Increase in rounds, increase in course revenue, increase in revenue per round, capital investment

Municipal: Increase in rounds, Cash flow improvement, capital investment

Resorts: Increase in occupancy rate, increase in greens fees, capital investment"

Highly unlikely that businesses will be open to sharing these details, and difficult to verify the ones that do.

John McCarthy

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 07:17:13 PM »
The metrics, especially at private clubs, are highly proprietary.  I doubt any club has an incentive to give up this information. 

It would be highly useful to know how various renovations (and architects) improve the bottom line...and that information would not be shared. 

As mentioned above, the Mt. Prospect renovation was a smashing success.  But each time out there this year I heard some  complaints from other players about the renovation, mostly about the severity of the greens.  However the tee sheet was full each time I was there.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 08:37:55 AM »
In CT. the hands-down winner in the muni category could only be Keney Park GC in Hartford. It's made a 180* turnaround in all of it's facilities.

I think there is only one golf scribe in the state who has reservations about it.  ;)

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »
Santa Ana CC- Jay Blasi hits another home run. His resume so far: Chambers Bay, The Patriot, Sentry World, Santa Ana- pretty solid so far for a young guy.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:03:13 PM by J_ Crisham »

David Cronheim

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »

With all due respect, Tommy, the work at Deal has been an absolute disaster. It's a Rees Jones nightmare that wiped out every last trace of the little Donald Ross or Lawrence Van Etten that was left on the golf course. My family have been members at Deal since the 1950's. I was something of the de facto club historian and even wrote an article for the NJSGA magazine about the history of the original Van Etten design. When they brought in Rees, I had it out with him and the president of the club in an open shareholder meeting. The resulting work is an abomination and I resigned my membership in protest. I could (and well may) write a book about how what they did is the antithesis of how a Board of Directors/Green Committee should operate.

It's a shame because the course I grew up playing was quite a lovely little track, but in the quest to modernize and squeeze an extra 100 yards (tops!) out of the course, they blew the place up. It's a sad turn of events for a club which once boasted several US presidents and Robert Todd Lincoln as members. (C.B. Macdonald discusses playing the course with Lincoln in Scotland's Gift). Of course, none of the current members know or care about this or any other of the club's history. And that's why they are where they are.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »
Santa Ana CC- Jay Blasi hits another home run. His resume so far: Chambers Bay, The Patriot, Sentry World, Santa Ana- pretty solid so far for a young guy.

It's not even open yet much less fully grassed?  This is very premature.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 05:09:03 PM »

With all due respect, Tommy, the work at Deal has been an absolute disaster. It's a Rees Jones nightmare that wiped out every last trace of the little Donald Ross or Lawrence Van Etten that was left on the golf course. My family have been members at Deal since the 1950's. I was something of the de facto club historian and even wrote an article for the NJSGA magazine about the history of the original Van Etten design. When they brought in Rees, I had it out with him and the president of the club in an open shareholder meeting. The resulting work is an abomination and I resigned my membership in protest. I could (and well may) write a book about how what they did is the antithesis of how a Board of Directors/Green Committee should operate.

It's a shame because the course I grew up playing was quite a lovely little track, but in the quest to modernize and squeeze an extra 100 yards (tops!) out of the course, they blew the place up. It's a sad turn of events for a club which once boasted several US presidents and Robert Todd Lincoln as members. (C.B. Macdonald discusses playing the course with Lincoln in Scotland's Gift). Of course, none of the current members know or care about this or any other of the club's history. And that's why they are where they are.

Wow. Interesting. I hadn't play the course prior to Rees' [size=78%]work. I guess if I liked it now I would have loved it before. I am sorry that this was such a bad experience for you.[/size]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:49:31 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

hhuffines

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2016, 08:56:03 PM »
CCNC Dogwood opens this weekend after a wonderful renovation by Kris Spence.  I haven't played it yet but it looks fantastic!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 10:46:53 AM »
Contra Costa Country Club?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 03:39:11 PM »
The winners are:

Private.
The Beloit Club
The Wanderers Club
Newport Beach CC

Public
Tapatio Springs Resort
The Golf Club at Mansion Ridge
Quail Ridge Golf Club

Any comments on the above?   I nominated Cal Club but it doesn't have a management company and didn't spend millions on the clubhouse and bar (it already has one of the best bars in the country) so didn't sniff anything.

MCirba

Re: Golf Inc Magazine Most Improved golf courses (winners announced)
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »
David Cronheim,

Rees Jones made historic Deal look much like a Rees Jones course.   It's what he does at all of his "restorations", sadly.

I only saw much of it prior to playing post-Rees and I understand your misgivings that led to your resignation.  Sorry to hear.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Steve Lapper

Re: Golf Inc Magazine Most Improved golf courses (winners announced)
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 07:47:31 AM »
Thankfully a few years back, Deal's next-door neighbor, Hollywood GC proactively choose to erase most all of vestiges of Rees Jones. Brian Schneider from Renaissance did a masterful job of restoring and renovating the course without bastardizing the brilliant Travis design.

As others here have noted, restorations by Rees hardly last the distance. Ultimately, they pale in comparison to work by nearly every other contemporary architect of note. Even some of his better work (i.e Baltusrol Upper) doesn't often compare favorably to others working with similar properties. Rees may feign to golden-age architecture but his work seems to have more in common with the Fazio philospohy of quasi-disprespect for historical artisanship.

Deal has long had a tortured history of competitive tension with Hollywood GC next door. They share similar soils and environment and both have the ability to produce terrific golf. Ultimately, if Deal were to understand itself better, research and respect it's history....and only then hire and empower the appropriate team to renovate and restore it's course....would it once again enjoy the reputation it desires.

PS...Golf Inc contest is hardly a gold standard for anything related to architecture. It is a contest that has never relied on quantifiable methodology, susceptible to ballot-box stuffing and skewed to potential advertisers......hardly the stuff of verifiable merit.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:24:32 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

PThomas

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »

thanks for your thoughts David and sorry about your (ex) course
Can you share any other thoughts on why Rees was chosen?  Really hard to understand that decision
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back