News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

E P Purmort

Re: McIlroy on changes to Quail Hollow (re 2017 PGA)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 12:08:55 AM »
Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

I think Charlotte will make a great host city. Fabulous airport. Clean city. Friendly bathrooms...

I'm surprised that Rory thinks "the flow of the course is the same" when the article says they made some serious changes. Entirely new holes rather than some penal bunkering/rough.

From the article:

The first hole was lengthened from a relatively short par-4 and is now a dog-leg right. That eliminated the par-3 second, which has been replaced by what was No. 3. The par-5 fifth went away and was replaced by two holes – one a par-3, the other a par-4.

Hopefully the gain in challenge isn't at the expense of the integrity of the design.

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 12:04:13 AM »
Too bad they are not going to Charlotte Country Club. Besides being a much more interesting course it actually has all the room you could need to have as much yardage as you could ever want. Back nine at Quail too in love with the lake. A fine place but I would rather see tour courses kept out of the major rota.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 12:50:29 AM »
Too bad they are not going to Charlotte Country Club. Besides being a much more interesting course it actually has all the room you could need to have as much yardage as you could ever want. . . .

Charlotte CC is unlikely, in my opinion (based on the attitudes of many Charlotte CC members I know well, personally), to want the hassle that goes along with putting on a major or a tour event.  On the other hand, they have been and I think will continue to be interested in hosting USGA events.  The 2018 USGA Mid-Am is scheduled for Charlotte CC (including preliminary medal rounds at Carolina GC).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:18:34 AM by Carl Johnson »

Ronald Montesano

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Matthew Petersen

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:58:07 PM »
I have trouble understanding why any club wants a major or tour event. Seems like Baltosrol members are basically missing the summer and the Upper course looks torn up from people, tents,etc. I assume area clubs accommodate the members but that gets old for everybody. Other than giving back to the game, what benefit is there to hosting?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »
. . . Other than giving back to the game, what benefit is there to hosting?

Yes, I know this is crude, but "jock sniffing" has a lot to do with it -- that's not everything, but a lot of it.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 04:21:07 PM »
I have trouble understanding why any club wants a major or tour event. Seems like Baltosrol members are basically missing the summer and the Upper course looks torn up from people, tents,etc. I assume area clubs accommodate the members but that gets old for everybody. Other than giving back to the game, what benefit is there to hosting?

Mike,

Good question. Deserves a thread in it's own right really although Carl's comment isn't too far from the mark in many respects.

Ego and vanity and pride for some of the membership (assuming it's a private club), most likely a pain in the preverbial for the rest of the membership.

Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 09:45:50 AM »
. . . Other than giving back to the game, what benefit is there to hosting?

Yes, I know this is crude, but "jock sniffing" has a lot to do with it -- that's not everything, but a lot of it.

That and

If you have a great course, you have less of a need to host.

If you have a course with a "great" reputation, you probably DO need to host, and retain that reputation with the obligatory dose of attention and flattery that comes when the less architecturally savvy are vocal and in charge of media buzz
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back