News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Fenchel

Baltusrol
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »
I will be attending the PGA Championship on Friday for the second round.  I have never stepped foot on the property before and have two questions for the group.

What I've read from the archives on this site the course is met with resounding mediocrity.

The positives - Straightforward. No tricks. Fair. Technically sound. What you see is what you get. A championship course.
The negatives - Unimaginative. No visual appeal. No notable/memorable stretch of holes. A championship course.

So. My two questions are:

1. From what I have read, much of Tillinghasts original work is gone or at best been muted.  I am wondering a) what holes can some of this work and/or architectural features still be seen and b) what is the strategy to play it.

2. If anyone has attended a championship at Baltusrol, where might the best spots be to set up for viewing?  Are there one or two holes that I shouldn't miss? Is there a spot on the course that allows for viewing multiple holes? From what I gather it does not seem like a spectator friendly venue.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Eric LeFante

Re: Baltusrol
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:45:38 AM »
Tim,

The first 5 holes and the last four holes are aesthetically the nicest on the course so I would absolutely not miss those. The other holes provide plenty of challenge but the terrain is quite flat. The fourth hole is the signature hole and close to the clubhouse so I'm sure it will be very crowded by the afternoon. I saw a video this morning and there are massive grandstands around the green.

I love watching shots from behind tee boxes. I would spend some time by 16 tee and watching the pros hit long irons 230 yards. 17 and 18 tees will be fun as well. There are massive trees that they have to hit through on 17 and 18 is really narrow now that bunkers have been added on the right and the water was extended on the left.

I thought the golf course was very close to the way Tillinghast designed it? The fourth hole was lengthened and the green was expanded by RTJ. I thought the routing was the exact same and the greens were basically the same.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
When we completely revised World Atlas of Golf some years ago we removed Baltusrol. Did we do right?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 09:08:08 PM »
When we completely revised World Atlas of Golf some years ago we removed Baltusrol. Did we do right?

Mark, if it was just an architectural decision I understand. If you add history I think it should be included. It's hard to argue against its historical significance.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

hhuffines

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 09:40:42 PM »
Glad I have the old version! 

Bruce Katona

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »
I'm going this week as well.

I walk out to the far end of the course to watch - most people are lazy and don't want to walk that far - its lets crowded.

Eric LeFante

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 09:10:01 AM »
I thought Baltusrol's 478 yard opening hole was difficult. Rory hit it 345 on the first during the long drive contest. Driver, wedge. Technology has made the professional game a joke.

Anton

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
The Lower is a solid course from start to finish but I can see why it gets a bad rep as being a bit boring to watch.  The course consists of many long narrow par 4s with narrow fairways.  The greens are all fairly small and guarded by deep rough & bunkers on all sides.  It also lacks scenery/visual appeal.  It's just a brute course.  This is why the members mostly prefer to play the Upper.  The Upper has more interesting holes and is more 'sporty' ,but it would not make for a good championship venue to test the worlds best.   
Holes  4, 5, 12, 16, & 18 are good holes for viewing in my opinion because you can see multiple holes in close proximity.  When compared to other Tillie courses:   It is not as visually stimulating as Bethpage Black and it doesn't have the variety that Ridgewood has.  But for major championship golf where the players bomb the ball 340+, Baltusrol is a good fit.
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »

I walk out to the far end of the course to watch - most people are lazy and don't want to walk that far - its lets crowded.

Unfortunately the far end of the course is where you will enter.  The PGA has the main shuttle entrance midway on the 8th hole.  Unfortunately on the Upper!

It is over a mile to the clubhouse.  Other than 6 carts they have refused to make accomodations for those with mild/moderate disabilities.  For those who require apparatus, they have made appropriate accomodations.  For others not so much.  If you have difficulty walking good luck.  Over 2 miles from the drop off to the 18th and back!  Not right in my opinion or legal.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 11:40:37 AM »
Golf Channel profiled the course last night and paid tribute to Tillinghast. Pretty cool. Geoff Shackelford and Jim Urbina had good contributions and I got the impression the course stayed true to the original design. They talked about how he built "elasticity" into Baltusrol, allowing for length he knew would come to the game.

I always had the impression that Trent Jones modified it quite a bit too, but perhaps that isn't correct?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 09:04:27 PM »

Unfortunately the far end of the course is where you will enter.  The PGA has the main shuttle entrance midway on the 8th hole.  Unfortunately on the Upper!

It is over a mile to the clubhouse.  Other than 6 carts they have refused to make accomodations for those with mild/moderate disabilities.  For those who require apparatus, they have made appropriate accomodations.  For others not so much.  If you have difficulty walking good luck.  Over 2 miles from the drop off to the 18th and back!  Not right in my opinion or legal.

Cliff,

It's hideous planning and an excellent reason for many to not bother going back. In addition, the routes across the far of the back of the Lower are terrible. The parking near to the Summit RR station was next to non-existent and they would not allow foot traffic on the otherwise closed-to-vehicle (save for the corporate vans)traffic on Shunpike Rd.

I also saw so many cars parked on the fairways and (approaches) to the Upper, that should it t-storm (and they are expected), one might not see reasonable conditions for months to follow. Other than that, it was fun  ::)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 07:02:23 AM »

Cliff,

It's hideous planning and an excellent reason for many to not bother going back. In addition, the routes across the far of the back of the Lower are terrible. The parking near to the Summit RR station was next to non-existent and they would not allow foot traffic on the otherwise closed-to-vehicle (save for the corporate vans)traffic on Shunpike Rd.

I also saw so many cars parked on the fairways and (approaches) to the Upper, that should it t-storm (and they are expected), one might not see reasonable conditions for months to follow. Other than that, it was fun  ::)

Steve-The walk in from the buses was longer than anything I can ever remember from any major/tournament. Not unlike the East Course at Winged Foot when there is a Major the Upper is taking plenty of abuse and I agree that's it's painful to see. That said it was a fun day and the golf course is in amazing shape. Extra points to the PGA of America for setting up mist fans around the clubhouse/tents and gigantic fans in the merchandise tent.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 07:39:14 AM »
Steve...I am not surprised by the Summit parking situation.  I will be there on the weekend and am hopeful that parking will be available early when commuters are not present.  Parking on the Upper is for VIPSs and those who wished to pay extra, but no accommodations for mild/moderate disabled.

As to the entrance, it is appalling.  Every other tournament has had an entrance on Shunpike.  I never remember a big problem.

I have had email and phone communication with the PGA.  Suggested to them that they have a designated disabled parking area in Clark ( assume they do) and run buses from there for disabled only to Shunpike.  Informed there was not enough time.  They only publicly disclosed their transportation plan a few weeks ago.  I was immediately in touch with them and it took them a week to get back to me.

Other tournaments do just what I recommended.  They refused.  Over 2 miles for anyone is ridiculious and for the disabled absurd.  6 ADA carts.  That's a legal, appropriate accommodation? Who are they kidding?  I guess they learned nothing from the Casey Martin case.

I have filed a complaint with the Department of Justice.  Quite simple.  Anyone else with a disability and car placard I would encourage to do likewise.

https://www.ada.gov/complaint/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:45:03 AM by Cliff Hamm »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 07:51:34 AM »
Tim,

Visually, the course looked to be in fantastic shape, but on closer inspection I believe it's playing fairly soft. I was able to walk onto the 12th green at the end (friend marshaling) and it was softer than normal. Surely, the 1.5" of rain it received Monday night didn't help, but earlier plays this year were gloriously fast and firm. More rain and T-storms are expected beginning on Friday. The fairway & greens didn't have any fire in them yesterday, and although today and tomorrow will provide some sun, heat and little wind, I'd expect whatever firmness develops to disintegrate by the weekend.

Yes, the misting fans were a nice touch, as was the ever-present free WiFi. Allowing spectators to bring along their phones was also a refreshing policy, however, I only hope some jackass doesn't forget to put it into silent mode from Thurs-Sun. I'm done going (hate the crowds of the weekend), but if anyone plans on it, the favored grandstand seating will be on top the back row at #4...with views of #3 side fairway & green, and tee shot at #5. Bring cash (for H20), shoes for the miles long trek in and out, an umbrella and plenty of sunscreen.

PS...Get to the parking areas early. The planners have woefully underestimated the capacity of nearly all the parking lots. Plenty of shuttle buses...just not that many spaces.

Cliff,   I'm told the local Summit police were asked  "begged & bribed (with future rounds)" not to ticket semi-unkosher spaces (i.e. btw metered spaces, 15 min zones near the library, etc...). Certain influential club members made the call in response to the lack of spaces.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:54:03 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tim Fenchel

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »
Sounds like this is going to be a real hoot.  Throw in on and off thunderstorms all day...and my vehicle a 30 minutes shuttle ride away from the course...going to be a long wait. Can't wait.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »
I'm headed over in a bit....the wife scored practice round tix so the daughter & i could go today as she has a better offer for the weekend.

You would have thought that the logistics would have been better - gee whiz its not the 1st time Baltusrol has hosted a major golf tournament.....they must have had the NJ Legislature involved in the planning - there's a group of politicians that wouldn't know how to become millionaires, even if you handed each one of them $900,000 in cash.

Peter Flory

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 12:40:27 PM »
Here is a link to an aerial comparison of 1930 to 2012.  Just slide the bar from side to side to compare.  It shows the Upper and Lower.  It also shows 1954 to 2012 and 1930 to 1954 if you scroll down. 

http://golfcoursehistories.com/Baltusrol.html
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 12:42:49 PM by Peter Flory »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 01:16:08 PM »
My sister used to live a block or so from the entrance. I went to the Open in '93 and it was so hot, my buddy and I decided to leave and go to her place and watch from the AC cooled living room. Good luck.
Mr Hurricane

Joe Schackman

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »
I'll be there on Saturday, rain willing. I live about 10-12 minutes from the club but of will probably take me two hours after going to the lot and catching the shuttle. Oh well, do what you gotta do.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 01:34:59 PM »
I plan to attend Thursday and Saturday, and possibly Sunday as well. For those worried about the heat, here's a press release from the PGA about drinking water and the locations of the free fountains onsite:

Drinking Water Information for 2016 PGA Championship
Spectators Encouraged to Prepare for Hot & Humid Conditions
Springfield, N.J. (July 25, 2016) – The PGA of America today announced drinking water details for the 2016 PGA Championship at Baltusrol Golf Club in Springfield, New Jersey. With hot and humid conditions expected, the PGA of America reminds all those attending the Championship where drinking water, misting fans and shaded areas will be available. Official details can be found below and at PGAChampionship.com.
Preparing for the Championship
All spectators are reminded that they are allowed to bring in one unlabeled bottle of water, up to 24 fl. oz., that can be refilled at public water fountains on-site. In addition, there are over 50 locations that sell beverages throughout the course. Spectators are encouraged to drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration as well as to wear a hat and use sunscreen for protection from the sun.
Public Water Fountains
Public water fountains are located:

• #3 Tee (to the right)
  • #4 Tee (to the right)
  • #5 Tee (to the right)
  • #12 Tee (to the left)
  • #15 Tee (to the left)
  • #17 Tee (to the left)
  • #18 Tee (to the left)
Concessions and Grandstand Drink Stands
There are 8 concession stands, 10 drink stands, and 6 grandstands with built-in drink stands, all of which are accessible to the public.
Concessions

• #1, 2, 3 Walkthrough
  • #13 Fairway
  • #17 Fairway Walkthrough
  • #17 Fairway, 1
  • #17 Fairway, 2
  • Driving Range
Drink Stands

• #3 Fairway
  • #5 Tee
  • #6 Tee
  • #8 Fairway
  • #11 Fairway
  • #13 Fairway
  • #17 Fairway, 1
  • #17 Fairway, 2
  • #18 Green
  • Main Entrance
Grandstand Drink Stands

• #1 Tee
  • #2 Green
  • #10 Tee
  • #12 Green
  • #15 Green
  • #17 Green
Misting Fans
There are 15 misting fans, all of which are accessible to the public, and are located:

• Hole #17 (to the left) – 10 misting fans
  • Practice Range (to the right) – 4 misting fans
  • First-Aid Station – 1 misting fan
Shaded Areas
Baltusrol is a parkland course which means there are numerous natural shaded areas throughout the property, all of which are accessible to the public.

BHoover

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 02:16:29 PM »
Here is Dustin Johnson's description of how Baltusrol is playing this week:

"It's par 70, but it's quite long. I feel like I wear out my 8 & 9 irons on the par 4s...par 3s are fairly long too. I hit a lot of 5 irons"

Bruce Katona

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
My daughter & I just came home from the course.  It was hot but we stayed in the shade as much as possible and went into the Clubhouse for lunch to cool down.  Most of the lads played earlier today to beat the heat.

Its her 1 st time at this type of sporting event (she's done  Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Devils hockey & Lehigh football as a spectator in addition to her past participation in club softball & club field hockey)

Brig a hat, drink lots of water, liberally apply sun screen and you'll be OK. 

My wife dropped us at the Summit train station and we took the shuttle.  The shuttle brings you into the course by the 16th green - the walk in wasn't terrible. Not much of a wait on either end for the shuttle today, though its just practice today.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 04:00:38 PM »
Every player comment has been about how the course is "straightforward, right there in front of you". They sound like they're talking about Firestone.

Head pro Doug Steffen said the same and added that there were no "gimmicks" to the course. So if everything isn't right in front of you then it must be a gimmick.

Tim Fenchel

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 05:44:12 PM »
My daughter & I just came home from the course.  It was hot but we stayed in the shade as much as possible and went into the Clubhouse for lunch to cool down.  Most of the lads played earlier today to beat the heat.

Bruce.

They let regular ticket holders into the clubhouse???

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 05:53:52 PM »
Bruce... you say the shuttle let you off by the 16th green.  Did u have a VIP pass or something?  My understanding is the shuttle drops off at Irwin Park, which is on the 8th hole of the upper, and 700 yards or so from the 16th green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back