News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Bergeron

Recommendations, Upstate NY
« on: April 23, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »
I will be attending the PGA National Club Pro in late June at Turning Stone Resort, Verona,NY. What are the best golden age courses in the area(broadly defined), public or private, that are must plays?

John Kavanaugh

Re: Recommendations, Upstate NY
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
On your way to Oak Hill stop by Sodus Point. The perfect club for anyone who loves the simple things in life.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 04:58:33 PM »
What are the best golden age courses in the area(broadly defined), public or private, that are must plays?

From west to east:

CC of Buffalo
Monroe GC
Yahnundasis
Teugega
Glens Falls

There is also a Travis course between Buffalo and Rochester, which I missed.  Just can't think of its name right now.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 05:15:50 PM »
Tom makes a pair of excellent suggestions with the CC of Buffalo and Glens Falls CC.  In Buffalo, I would add the Park Club (Alison) and in Rochester I would add the CC of Rochester and Irondequoit CC, both Ross works.  You also have the CC of Troy near Albany if you're headed to Glens Falls. 

Even though it's not a classic, Crag Burn CC near Buffalo is an excellent Trent Jones effort.  It's also was the home of Lonnie Nielsen who is a really good player. 

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 07:35:49 AM »
What are the best golden age courses in the area(broadly defined), public or private, that are must plays?

From west to east:

CC of Buffalo
Monroe GC
Yahnundasis
Teugega
Glens Falls

There is also a Travis course between Buffalo and Rochester, which I missed.  Just can't think of its name right now.

You're probably thinking of Stafford Country Club (just east of Batavia).

Teugega and Yahnundasis are the nearest to Verona.

If you're thinking public options, I'm not a familiar with the Central NY offerings, but Greystone, Ravenwood, and Mill Creek may be your best options in Rochester.  Ravenwood is on the east side, so it would be easiest for you to get to from Verona.

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 10:23:20 AM »
Mark Twain in Elmira is viewed by many as a solid Upstate muni. It's a Donald Ross that you can play for @ $30.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:25:15 AM by Phil McDade »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 10:34:53 AM »
A drive to Cooperstown is always great.   Leatherstocking is where the hall of famers play :)

Matt Albanese

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 04:07:48 PM »
I highly recommend Seven Oaks in Hamilton, NY. It is probably 30 minutes from Verona.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 05:48:55 PM »

From west to east:

CC of Buffalo
Monroe GC
Yahnundasis
Teugega
Glens Falls

Stafford Country Club, Tom.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 07:10:53 PM »
For what it's worth, I've had little luck getting on anything in Western/Central New York.  Other than the fantastic Monroe in Rochester, it's been a strike out.  And I even grew up there   ::)

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 08:22:18 PM »
If you want a great pair of Devereux Emmet courses in the area...play at both Leatherstocking Golf Course and Schuyler Meadows Club.  Great stuff and interesting topography.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 09:53:27 PM »

How are you arriving? If you are driving to Verona, from where will you be coming? Here are some drive times from Turning Stone.

Turning Stone to Teugega-24 minutes. Head pro at Teugega used to be at Turning Stone.
to Yahnundasis-25 minutes
to Leatherstocking-71 minutes
to Rochester-area courses (Monroe, Irondequoit, Oak Hill, CCR) 99 to 110 minutes
to CCTroy-117 minutes
to Stafford-127 minutes
to Mark Twain (Ross muni in Elmira)-134 minutes
to Buffalo-area courses-150 minutes or more

Cedar Lake Club (home of Derek Bard, 2015 US Am runner-up and 2016 Masters participant) is a homespun course that flies under the radar but gets rave reviews as a challenging course. About 40 minutes from Turning Stone.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:55:25 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 09:05:02 AM »
If you have a spare day, head up to Malone, New York. Malone Golf Club boasts two 18-hole golf courses, the East and the West. The East was designed by Willard G. Wilkinson and Albert Murray, but is often mislabeled as a Donald Ross design. The East Course is a pretty fun and special design, even with a couple of RTJ holes mixed in on the back 9.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:55:55 AM by Matt Frey, PGA »

John Foley

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 07:48:51 PM »
If you hit Tuegega, Yahnandasis, Leatherstocking Glenn's Falls and Troy you can't go wrong. As Ron and others have said its a fair amount of driving between those locations.

Integrity in the moment of choice

BCowan

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 08:54:10 PM »
Berge,

You have great recommendations.  Whatever you don't make it to, we will go back in 17'.   :)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 01:46:26 PM »
If you hit Tuegega, Yahnandasis, Leatherstocking Glenn's Falls and Troy you can't go wrong. As Ron and others have said its a fair amount of driving between those locations.

+1  I regret missing Leatherstocking but am convinced this is the most underrated golf trip in America.

Try Delmonico's Italian Steak House in Utica for an inexpensive steak and hopefully the tall young lady that's a dead ringer for Brooke Shields is still tending bar.

In Troy, don't miss the hot dogs at Famous Lunch.  Be sure to order "with sauce"  but don't eat more than four.

Book it.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »
On the edge of the Golden Age, in age if not designer, Green Lakes State Park in Fayetteville has one of the first Robert Trent Jones designs, dating to 1935. Haven't played it in decades, but very hilly with some heavily contoured greens as I recall. Not a "typical" RTJ as I doubt he had much of a budget to move dirt.

Otherwise, here's another vote for Yahnundasis. A couple of "meh" holes on the back 9 but otherwise an excellent Travis that has undergone little if any significant change.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 04:55:19 PM »
Within very easy driving distance from Turning Stone, I  would emphasize Teugaga--about as pure a Ross course as you'll find, and a delight to play.  I'd strongly recommend Yahnundasis, which is mostly Travis.  Road construction resulted in significant changes to first few holes, though 3, 4, and 7 retain their original Travis greens.  From 8 on, it is pretty much pure Travis (some slight changes to 10th green), and, I think, very interesting and challenging.  Great use of interesting terrain, and a nasty little creek.

I'd also suggest a short drive up to Old Forge for a round at Thendara.  A Ross front nine, and a killer back nine that is credited to Harries, in some quarters. 

I would second each of Tom Doak's recommendations, and if he was referring to Stafford CC, I'd be happy to help you access the course.  I believe that our back nine highlights Mr. Travis's skill at routing, and a few of our greens escaped the plow-blade of our 1950s greenskeeper.  Personally, I'd skipped the other Rochester courses, other than Monroe.  Unless you can get on Oak Hill West.

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
First and Foremost, thanks to all of you for your outstanding selections. I wish I had two weeks to spend in upstate NY. I particularly enjoy under the radar courses over the more famous championship venues. Seems to be a wealth of great golf here.
I received an invitation from one of our fellow GCAers to visit the Cherry Golf Club 16 miles north of Buffalo across the border in Canada. I am very intrigued by what I heard. Thoughts?

PS When any of you are visiting Metro Detroit send me a note. I can pretty much make anything happen.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »
First and Foremost, thanks to all of you for your outstanding selections. I wish I had two weeks to spend in upstate NY. I particularly enjoy under the radar courses over the more famous championship venues. Seems to be a wealth of great golf here.
I received an invitation from one of our fellow GCAers to visit the Cherry Golf Club 16 miles north of Buffalo across the border in Canada. I am very intrigued by what I heard. Thoughts?

PS When any of you are visiting Metro Detroit send me a note. I can pretty much make anything happen.

I think it's excellent and even better if you can spend the afternoon pairing it with  Travis' Lookout Point

Peter Galea

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 01:01:54 AM »
The Sagamore, Bolton Landing.

http://www.thesagamore.com/golf/
"chief sherpa"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 10:09:20 AM »
Cherry Hill Club (and I can guess which GCA'er invited you--a super person, I'll add) is a terrific Travis design, punched up by Mother Nature (blew through and knocked down some trees a decade ago, encouraging the membership to consider ripping out more) and Team Ian Andrew (the bunkering is what bunkering should be: attractive and a half-shot penalty.) Determine where Buffalo is, in relation to your putt, and trust that it will be speedy toward Buffalo, even if it is uphill.

If you're going to cross over, bring your passport or passport card, unless your state has enhanced driver's license for international travel, or if you have a Nexus pass for bridge travel.

I second Saltzy's recommendation on Lookout Point. I played well over there a few years back, but he and Ian dusted me and Kevin Lynch during the summer of Canadian Domination (might have been the 200th anniversary of the burning of Buffalo, if memory serves.) It sits on steeper ridge land than Cherry Hill, and offers a different but related golfing experience.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 11:50:05 PM »

Cherry Hill is one of my favorites, and absolutely worth the trip... but it's a long drive from Verona, so plan accordingly.

Believe it or not, Ft Erie is actually west of Buffalo (and south from some spots), not north. The rest of Canada is north.  :)

I'd throw Binghamton Country Club on the possibles list as well... a solid Tillinghast and if you're nice when you call you can probably get on.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back