News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: Keiser's Coul Links Project (Embo/Dornoch)
« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »
Interesting that the main objection is based on the theoretical existence of fauna not actual. This sort of thing does not help with the image.
Fonseca's Seed Fly is considered fauna?  Here in Canada we consider them pests.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2017, 05:30:58 PM »
It is interesting to me that this fly supposedly exists on the dornoch sands but a golf course in the Coul location would not allow the fly to survive. Are the Dornoch sands mentioned near the golf course? Anyway, here's a site devoted to protection of the fly:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-fonesca-s-seed-fly

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Niall C

« Reply #202 on: August 02, 2017, 08:39:36 AM »

Thanks for posting this Brian.

Interesting that the main objection is based on the theoretical existence of fauna not actual. This sort of thing does not help with the image. I wonder what they plan to spend £6 to £10 million on?

Jon

clubhouse and dormie house provision perhaps ?

Niall

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #203 on: August 02, 2017, 08:55:09 AM »
But that site doesn't mention why anyone should give a damn about whether Fonseca's Seed fly becomes extinct.

Steve Lang

« Reply #204 on: August 02, 2017, 09:07:52 AM »
But that site doesn't mention why anyone should give a damn about whether Fonseca's Seed fly becomes extinct.

or it's just genetic cosmic debris
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #205 on: August 02, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »

Thanks for posting this Brian.

Interesting that the main objection is based on the theoretical existence of fauna not actual. This sort of thing does not help with the image. I wonder what they plan to spend £6 to £10 million on?

Jon

clubhouse and dormie house provision perhaps ?

Niall

I believe that a significant investment will be made in "local infrastructure improvements" to accommodate the new facility.
Specifically on the the road between Dornoch and Embo which, at present, is wide enough only for one car.

The developers will also build a new football pitch for the residents of Embo as well as an enhanced walking path through Coul Links for locals and tourists alike.

There will also be a practice range built.
To put in perspective, RDGC is considering the addition of a driving range and the proposed budget is just under $2M.

Niall C

« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »
Ian

I wish RDGC well but that's bonkers. Sad to see it turning even more into an American style country club, and I don't mean that as a knock to country clubs, just that they should be in the US  :)

How long is the road they are having to rebuild ?

Niall

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
Ian

I wish RDGC well but that's bonkers. Sad to see it turning even more into an American style country club, and I don't mean that as a knock to country clubs, just that they should be in the US  :)

How long is the road they are having to rebuild ?

Niall

Niall -

It's being voted on at this year's AGM.
RDGC has a nice looking balance sheet....;-) If the members want a driving range, then they will approve the project.

You must be present to vote so most voters are local, not overseas.

My guess is that the road from Dornoch to Embo that may need to be widened is about 1 mile long.
When David Tepper gets off the links, he can chime in with better info i'm sure...;-)

Cheers,
Ian

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »

Niall,

the plan deliberately stated it was going for a low key development including a very basic clubhouse that might just be a glorified starters hut. I share your concern about the danger of RDGC losing it's identity.

Ian,

with the small amount of increased traffic this project will create and knowing the road a dozen passing places would cover it. I know there is the possibility that the local council might be using this as an opportunity to upgrade the road but knowing a couple of people living along it there are a lot of residents against this as it is already a race track.

Jon
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:16:12 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Niall C

« Reply #209 on: August 03, 2017, 08:59:50 AM »
Jon

I'm assuming that the road would be a planning obligation. Depending on the spec and length of it that could be a £1m plus right there.

Niall

MClutterbuck

« Reply #210 on: August 03, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »
I hope that if this goes forward it creates the right conditions for courses like Brora to benefit. Essential to get some kind of package, 3 course-4 course, even 7 course green fee packages. Staying a few nights up north in Dornoch is a great experience and you could even market this is a full week in and out of Inverness with a new course.

Dornoch, Brora, Coul Links, Nairn, a repeat at Dornoch, and another local course and leave via Inverness aftar a round at Castle Stuart is a very compelling golf week.

I loved getting to Brora at 6pm and playing with rain and a 5 club wind. Awesome course. Many others would benefit from an additional course I believe.

David_Tepper

« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2017, 10:56:44 AM »
"another local course"

GOLSPIE!!! ;)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2017, 01:07:59 PM »

"another local course"

GOLSPIE!!! ;)

David,

it would be nice for some trade to be spread to some of the other local clubs. Indeed some might say that these days Golspie, Tain, Brora and their brethren offer a far more authentic Scottish golfing experience than the bigger courses.

Jon

David_Tepper

« Reply #213 on: August 03, 2017, 01:30:53 PM »
"It would be nice for some trade to be spread to some of the other local clubs."

Jon -

You are absolutely right about that. An extra 500 rounds of visitor play yearly at any of the clubs you mention would help the finances of those clubs greatly.

Sadly, it is hard to break thru the "bucket list" mentality of too many visiting golfers, who are reluctant to stray from the Top 20, 50 or 100 lists   

DT

MClutterbuck

« Reply #214 on: August 03, 2017, 01:35:55 PM »
"another local course"

GOLSPIE!!! ;)

I teed it up for you David but unfortunately I did not get the chance to play or see Golspie so I did not mention by name.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #215 on: August 03, 2017, 01:43:04 PM »
"It would be nice for some trade to be spread to some of the other local clubs."

Jon -

You are absolutely right about that. An extra 500 rounds of visitor play yearly at any of the clubs you mention would help the finances of those clubs greatly.

Sadly, it is hard to break thru the "bucket list" mentality of too many visiting golfers, who are reluctant to stray from the Top 20, 50 or 100 lists   

DT

That is where I think the concept of flying in and out of Inverness and spending a full week in the Highlands is important. I am pretty sure that if Coul Links happens and it is really good, having 3 top courses, plus another 3-5 excellent options, and quality hotels and B&Bs will make a difference.

Lets say you are contemplating three 1-week golf trips to Scotland over your lifetime and have the means to play top courses. As things stand today, you will not spend a full week in the Highlands if you want to maximize the Scotland experience. With a succesfull Coul Links, I think you might start thinking of dedicating a full week to the North or North and Northeast.

David_Tepper

« Reply #216 on: August 03, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »
"With a succesfull Coul Links, I think you might start thinking of dedicating a full week to the North or North and Northeast."

Marcos -

If Coul Lnks does get built, I certainly hope it works out that way and visiting golfers will spend an extra day or two or three in the area to play the very worthwhile nearby local courses. Again, it is a question of overcoming the "bucket list" mentality.

DT

James Brown

« Reply #217 on: August 03, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »
"With a succesfull Coul Links, I think you might start thinking of dedicating a full week to the North or North and Northeast."

Marcos -

If Coul Lnks does get built, I certainly hope it works out that way and visiting golfers will spend an extra day or two or three in the area to play the very worthwhile nearby local courses. Again, it is a question of overcoming the "bucket list" mentality.

DT

Has anyone seen anything on what a new Coul Course will do to the tee sheet at RDGC?

I personally thinking building a new Keiser links just up th road from Dornoch is a bad idea that will ultimately lead to ruining the quaintness of Dornoch, but I get the reasons driving local development.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2017, 04:49:05 PM »
The other courses in that immediate area are all, weather permitting, 365 days per year play. I wonder if Coul will be as well? Note - Castle Stuart isn't.
Atb

David_Tepper

« Reply #219 on: August 03, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »
"The other courses in that immediate area are all, weather permitting, 365 days per year play. I wonder if Coul will be as well? Note - Castle Stuart isn't."

Thomas D. -

That is because the other courses are golf clubs with local memberships who live in the area year round.

Castle Stuart is a daily fee course. It is highly unlikely CS could generate enough fee revenue over the winter months to justify the cost of staffing and operating the facility, especially given the short hours of daylight and the frequent frost delays.

I suspect Coul Links will close as well over the winter months, for the same reasons. A number of restaurants & hotels in the Dornoch also close over the winter season. 

DT

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #220 on: August 03, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »
The other courses in that immediate area are all, weather permitting, 365 days per year play. I wonder if Coul will be as well? Note - Castle Stuart isn't.
Atb

From what I understand, Castle Stuart does not have "members". Perhaps a mistake as it cuts off a vital consistent revenue stream.
It's strictly a "pay for play" high-end venue that, in the three times I have been there, has been WIDE open.

Have they broken ground on the new "Palmer" course? I saw the site and it looked like boring farmland.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #221 on: August 03, 2017, 05:33:02 PM »

Atb

From what I understand, Castle Stuart does not have "members". Perhaps a mistake as it cuts off a vital consistent revenue stream.
It's strictly a "pay for play" high-end venue that, in the three times I have been there, has been WIDE open.

Have they broken ground on the new "Palmer" course? I saw the site and it looked like boring farmland.

Ian,

I think you will find CS turns a decent profit and at £185 a pop for 18 holes they have enough GFs through the summer months. As for memberships it comes with a lot of expense on extra infrastructure and I doubt they could ask more than £500 to £600 a year so not so lucrative.

I do not believe they have broken ground on the second course but when they do I am sure they will create a very good course. The present course was built on very boring farmland and a rocky shoreline.

If  Coul Links does get built I hope they ensure it has an authentic Scottish feel and not the corporate tartan that is sadly creeping into the scene.

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #222 on: August 03, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »
Another top notch course in the Dornoch area would help the smaller venues imo.  I am not convinced Dornoch will benefit though as it doesn't need more visitors! 

Jon

I am not sure what authentic Scottish feel is, but I think you will not find it at a new high end course.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 05:03:42 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2017, 07:27:05 AM »

Lets say you are contemplating three 1-week golf trips to Scotland over your lifetime and have the means to play top courses. As things stand today, you will not spend a full week in the Highlands if you want to maximize the Scotland experience. With a succesfull Coul Links, I think you might start thinking of dedicating a full week to the North or North and Northeast.

Define "the Scotland Experience". Note - this isn't some sort of snidey question but genuinely interested what you think the Scotland Exeperience is or should be ? Indeed did your ideas change after your trip ?

Niall

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2017, 09:03:44 AM »
Another top notch course in the Dornoch area would be help the smaller venues imo.  I am not convinced Dornoch will benefit though as it doesn't need more visitors! 

Jon

I am not sure what authentic Scottish feel is, but I think you will not find it a new high end course.

Ciao

Sean, when you say that you are "not convinced Dornoch will benefit", are you referring to the town or the golf club?

True, RDGC does not need more visitor rounds nor does it need any "help" attracting outside interest. However, as cited previously, following the opening of Castle Stuart, the town of Dornoch saw a net LOSS in visitor room/hotel nights. That trickles down to everyone: restaurants, shops, pubs, etc.

It became clear that golf tourism was treating Dornoch in a very transient manner that benefited RDGC, but bypassed the town. It is also well-documented that the developers of Coul Links first came to RDGC with a proposal.

Part of the appeal of the developer's proposal behind Coul is that it could add the need for 100 more hotel beds in the area. Is that good or bad? Well, it depends on your perspective. If the town of Dornoch became a golf tourism "hub" in the Highlands, instead of a "spoke" of Inverness, that could lead to a net benefit for Brora, Golspie and the town.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back