News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Golf Related Maps
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 10:59:47 AM »
Anybody know what became of Wheaton Golf Club?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 11:10:12 AM »
Re: SF:  I had no idea the Cal Club started near what's now Harding Park.  Or that Crystal Springs dates so far back.

I had a road map of New York and Long Island from the 1970's that still marked and listed all of the golf courses, public and private.  It got quite a bit of use once I got my license  ;)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
Tom:

The Cal Club started on the old SFGC Ingleside course, taking over the property after SFGC moved to its new site, and when Cal Club moved to its new property in 1926 the course became known as Ingleside GC.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »
Anybody know what became of Wheaton Golf Club?

Wheaton GC had three different locations starting in 1900.  Around 1919 the club went under, and the course was operated as a daily fee and then as Green Valley CC.  Green Valley stuck around until the 1960's.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 09:36:53 PM »
I look at those Detroit area maps and I wonder if more than a few courses still exist. Wesburn is still around...a totally under the radar course considering it is over 100 years old....but it isn't very good.  Island House CC is now West Shore at an adjacent property. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 09:43:08 PM »
Sven,
Any idea of how many courses on the later version of the Long Island and Vicinity map are still in existence today?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »
Map of Bermuda Golf Courses from Golf Illustrated-December 1934:

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »
The following article appeared in the Nov. 19, 1920 edition of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle, and describes a map that sounds almost identical to the 1921 Rand McNally map posted above (the RM map noted 113 courses, as opposed to the 111 noted in the article on the Dunlap map).

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
Sven,
Any idea of how many courses on the later version of the Long Island and Vicinity map are still in existence today?

Jim:

Just on a quick guesstimate, I'd say in the neighborhood of 60-65% of the courses listed are still around.

Sven

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 11:31:43 AM »
A 1956 Shell Map of Chicago with courses noted in red.  I've also tried to note in blue the location of a number of older courses that had gone by the wayside.

The original is in high resolution, but like the NY maps above the clarity gets lost in the translation through P-bucket.  If anyone has any ideas as to how to post the original high-def version, please let me know.

List of courses:

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
From Anthony Gholz, a July 11, 1920 Brooklyn Daily Eagle map of New Jersey courses.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 11:40:07 AM »
A map of proposed locations for courses in Chicago area parks.

Chicago Tribune Jan. 12, 1919 -

Ira Fishman

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 01:04:49 PM »
Sven,

Thanks for the memories! Edgebrook was where I played my first round of golf over 45 years ago as a lark when we took a break from everyday sandlot baseball. Became addicted from the get go.

Ira

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 10:38:54 AM »
Map of the Monterrey Pennisula showing Pebble, Cypress, Del Monte and Monterrey Peninsula.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2019, 10:35:34 AM »
A 1946 Map of Portland, OR.  Courses noted in blue on the map had either gone out of existence by this point or were located off the boundaries of the map.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2019, 12:56:19 PM »

[font=]A 1946 Map of Portland, OR.  Courses noted in blue on the map had either gone out of existence by this point or were located off the boundaries of the map.[/font]

[font=]Glendoveer (36p), Mt Hood Golf (27r), Tualatin  (pr) and Lake Oswego (pr) still exist and are off the chart.[/font]

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2021, 12:38:08 PM »
From The Spur Magazine., May 1, 1921:

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2021, 11:13:13 PM »
This is not the kind of map we want to see more of, but in Michigan we may need to get used to it.
Courses Closed from the Detroit Free Press April 11, 2016.

Here is a 1970 version of closed Detroit area golf courses from Golfdom., September 1970:

Here are a few more city maps showing closed golf courses.  Also from Golfdom., September 1970:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 11:18:03 PM by Bret Lawrence »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2022, 09:45:39 PM »
1930 Map of Houston

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 10:40:26 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2022, 11:36:55 AM »
Map of Lake Geneva, WI found in Picturesque Lake Geneva, 1926

Larger versions of each half -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back