GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

RIP Norman Klaparda (the mayor of Riviera)

<< < (2/2)

Steve Lapper:
We have lost another of the game's better characters. If you were lucky to have crossed paths with Norman just once (and usually that's all it took), you were left better off for it. I was fortunate to have played a round with Norman and enjoyed a few meals  and wonderful conversations with he and Samm. As others here have amply noted, Norman was a good soul who loved the game, its people and various venues  He never lost track of the order in which they mattered. May he rest in peace and my thoughts and prayers are with Samm and his family.

Tom Ferrell:
Well, dammit. I knew this day was coming, but that doesn't make the news less bitter.

I was in that Norm-hosted group at Riviera with Ian Andrew. It was just one of several memorable rounds I was fortunate to share with him. On the range that day, Norm asked me if I knew any Riviera members beyond the usual suspects. I said I knew one, and lo and behold there he was - Robbie Kreiger of Doors fame (long story). I go over and talk to Robbie and return to hitting balls.

One guy, Norm says, and it's Robbie freakin' Kreiger??? And so he took me over and introduced me to Johnny Mathis!

My heart goes out to Samm and to Mike Robin, Dick Zamuda, and all who know Norm's wonderful friendship.

Golf is immeasurably richer for his life, and understandably sadder today.

Maybe he'll find those extra yards he was always seeking on the courses he can only now begin to explore.

THANK YOU, Norm.

Terry Lavin:
He was the best rep of the belt notcher crowd. Good egg in every way.

Joel_Stewart:

August 23, 1938 - October 5, 2015 Norman Klaparda, 77, passed away peacefully on October 5th following a brave 22-month fight with pancreatic cancer. He is survived by his beloved wife Samm Klaparda, children Karen and Joseph Klaparda, grandchildren Moshe and Sarai Faith Bogoratt, brothers Sam (Sandy), Larry, Jimmy (Susie), and seven nieces and nephews. Norman was born August 23, 1938 in Tel-Aviv, Israel. He immigrated to America with his parents and three brothers in 1954. He began his illustrious career in the garment industry in 1955, and quickly exhibited a natural talent as a businessman. He was a strong believer in the American dream and lived a life that exemplified those values. He built a thriving manufacturing business and was a founding member of the MAGIC Show (Men's Apparel Guild in California.) In retirement, Norman and his brothers and partners managed several real estate properties they acquired throughout their lives. Norman was a resident of Pacific Palisades, and a member of the Riviera Country Club for over 35 years. He achieved extensive admiration and respect from the golf community throughout the world. He played GOLF magazine's Top 100 World Courses, and was a panelist for the magazine playing and rating the most courses worldwide than anyone else on the panel. His family will miss his infectious smile, love of life, passion, spirit, kindness and wisdom. Norman was a man of his word and principles who always had kind thoughts for everyone. Services will be held at Mt. Sinai (5950 Forest Lawn Dr., Los Angeles) on Wednesday at 3pm. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the William Isacoff MD Research Foundation for Gastrointestinal Cancer.
Published in the Los Angeles Times from Oct. 6 to Oct. 7, 2015- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?pid=176037783#sthash.NE9nyK6w.dpuf

Mark_Fine:
Very sad.  I didn't know he was ill  :'(   I was also in that group with Tom and Ian at Riviera and knew Norman (and Samm) well.  We played quite a few rounds together and loved to exchange golf stories.  He was a real gentleman and would bend over backwards to help in any way. He will be missed and I my prayers go out to Samm and the family. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version