News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Treadwell

3-Tiered Greens
« on: October 04, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
At the course I play at that was built in the 20's, we originally had a 3-Tiered Green, which in later years was changed (much for the worse) as faster green speeds made the green somewhat unplayable.  I would of course like to see this potentially restored someday, but in the meantime what are some examples out there of some 3-Tiered greens that work?  And furthermore, what are the characteristics of these greens that make them work?  I can't say I've played many and the ones I have I wasn't very fond of. 

MCirba

Re: 3-Tiered Greens
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »
There is a four-tiered green on hole number 16 of Woodloch Springs CC in the Poconos.   To make matters worse, the green is steeply uphill over wetlands from the approach area and set at a diagonal to the approach.   

It's tough to imagine a more penal hole on a course full of them.   Of course, it gets 4.5 stars in the Golf Digest "Places to Play" book.

You can click on the 16th at this page to see the hole in all of its splendor.   http://www.woodloch.com/things-to-do/golf/course/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:01:55 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Connolly

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
Pasatiempo's 16th. Don't know how often lower tier is used. I know they are slowing green speeds in general there to allow for more pin positions.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

John Kirk

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 01:11:04 PM »
I can't comment with much authority on the 7th green at Olympic Club (Lake), but my recollection is a three tiered green that works well.  I would think a key to playability would be gently sloped transitions between tiers.

There's a six tier green at the Chardonnay Golf Club in Napa, California.  It's a par 3 with the tiers laid out sideways on a 100 yard wide green.  I played Chardonnay once a long time ago, and vaguely remember the hole.  That has to be the record for most tiers.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 05:12:15 PM »
I can't comment with much authority on the 7th green at Olympic Club (Lake), but my recollection is a three tiered green that works well.  I would think a key to playability would be gently sloped transitions between tiers.

That 7th green at Olympic was the inspiration for the 2nd green at High Pointe.  [We were building the course in the summer of 1987 when the Open was at Olympic, and I remembered the green from having played it before.]

I have built a lot of greens with multiple tiers, but my favorites are the ones where the "tiers" aren't so easily defined.  One of my favorite greens on a course where we consult is the 7th at Hollywood, with four gentle tiers working up a slope.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 05:28:16 PM »
John K. & Tom D. -

Sadly the 3-tier green on #7 at the OC Lake Course is no longer.  When the new, par-3, 8th hole was built 8-10 years ago, the green on #7 was moved back (to lengthen the hole a bit) & rebuilt as a 2-tier green.

Spectating around the old 7th green during the US Opens & Tour Championships was one of my favorite spots on the course. I remember seeing Lary Mize once drive the green and then 4-putt for a bogey. ;)

DT

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 05:46:15 PM »
Brad,

As we've discussed, one of the coolest and most functional three-tier greens I know of is the 3rd at Victoria Golf Club, B.C. (designed by the same guy who originally did the green you're referring to!) .. like the 7th at Hollywood, it works its way very nicely up a slope, and it's beautifully contoured so that there's more than just the three tiers with basic transition slopes; it's very artistically done.
jeffmingay.com

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 06:26:54 PM »
We have a 3 tiered green on 16 at Admirals Cove. It's very cool, I inspired it ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 06:39:48 PM »
The 18th at The Belfry (Brabazon Course) used to be 3 tiered but not sure if it still is. Dewsbury had a hole with a three tiered green (13th) though the middle tier was very small.

Jon

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 07:09:21 PM »
9 at Olympia South is a small three-tiered delight which adds a lot of interest and challenge after 445 yards or so of a great parkland par four.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 07:33:21 PM »
The par 3 7th green at Glen Mills (Bobby Weed) has 4 tiers:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/glenmills/pages/page_33.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 07:46:31 PM »
Raynor Double Plateaus seem pretty interesting to me. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 08:52:46 PM »
The par three 17 at Musgrove Mill has three tiers as does 14 at Ballyhack. The tiers are straight forward but are rather three different levels.  Both are pretty well designed.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 09:38:03 PM »
Brad,

As we've discussed, one of the coolest and most functional three-tier greens I know of is the 3rd at Victoria Golf Club, B.C. (designed by the same guy who originally did the green you're referring to!) .. like the 7th at Hollywood, it works its way very nicely up a slope, and it's beautifully contoured so that there's more than just the three tiers with basic transition slopes; it's very artistically done.

Jeff, that has to be the most difficult sub-400 yard par 4 anywhere.  Straight uphill with a wild green once you get there.  Love that course!

John Kirk

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 10:56:10 PM »
A couple more golf holes with 3-tiered greens:

17th hole, about 190 yards, Stanford Golf Course, CA
4th hole, about 550 yards, Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek), OR

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 11:35:13 PM »
one of the coolest and most functional three-tier greens I know of is the 3rd at Victoria Golf Club, B.C. (designed by the same guy who originally did the green you're referring to!) .. like the 7th at Hollywood, it works its way very nicely up a slope, and it's beautifully contoured so that there's more than just the three tiers with basic transition slopes; it's very artistically done.
Jeff - if I remember correctly this green is borderline unfair as I don't know if you can keep a putt on the green when your ball is on the uppermost tier and the flag is on the bottom tier.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 11:52:25 PM »
Restore #13 AND #14 ;)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 11:57:18 PM »
Are any of these 3-tiered greens natural, or are all shaped/constructed to create the three tiers? 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 02:49:14 AM »
Are any of these 3-tiered greens natural, or are all shaped/constructed to create the three tiers?

Usually tiered greens are the result of trying to locate a green in an area that's a bit too steep ... so you flatten out some hole locations, and take up the slope on the steps between the tiers.

I am trying to think if I've built a three-tiered green that was just laying on the ground like that.  I can think of lots of natural two-tiered greens [6th at Sand Hills; 4th at Dismal River Red] but maybe not a three-tiered one.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 05:28:59 AM »
There's a MacKenzie 3-tier green at Worcester, UK

and

This par-4 hole now plays in two different ways - from below the ridge (main season, top photo) and as originally designed along the top of the ridge (second photo)

atb

photos per Sean's tour -http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49998.msg1348691.html#msg1348691

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 05:56:14 AM »
atb

Yes, that is a lovely green.  As Doak states, the tiers mitigate the slope of the hill which is too steep for a "normal" green. 

Burnham has an unusual 3 tier green in the 16th.  Its laid out as the lower tier backed by two side by side higher tiers with the left half a bit higher than the lowest part of the right half.  I don't believe there needs to be three levels...there just is.  Its on my long list as one of the best greens I have played.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 06:02:06 AM »
Sean, how do you like the recent extension to that green?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 06:09:38 AM »
Sean, how do you like the recent extension to that green?

Adam

I like it if only because the crap to the rear of the green has been drastically cleared out. A lot of members don't like it because the onus on an accurate shot to the rear of the green has been removed.  I can see their point if the flag is on the right...two putting from the rear is much easier than hacking from rough  :-\  If the flag is left its a different matter or if the flag is right and one is trying to two putt from the left it is quite difficult...much more so than previously.  I also think its harder now for guys who bash the ball near the green to get up and down for a birdie.

You should come out one day for a game...give me a shout.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 09:41:14 AM »
15 at Bandon Trails has 3 distinct tiers...long fairly narrow green on a steep site.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 12:10:31 PM »
Unless my memory is failing me, isn't the 8th at Ballyneal a triple tier green?  Albeit the tiers are not as strictly defined as some of these others..  I loved that green, one of the highlights of the round.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back