News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Volume Two Confidential Guide
« on: October 04, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »
My copy arrived yesterday. It's quite nice to see a photo I shot on p. 39. FTWC (for those who care) it's the same one that made it to the finals of the GCA 2014 Photo Contest. Thank you, editors/authors, for including me.

Ran's unabashed bro-love for Dunlop White, on Pp. 22-23, is deserved and unequaled. I salute you, other RM
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:43:37 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

Re: Volume Two Confidential Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:05:44 PM »
Other denizens of this modest assemblage with photos in the second volume are Jon Cavalier, Bogey Henderson, Kyle Henderson, Brad Tufts, Tom Dunne and Ruediger Meyer. Of course, we're all simply trying to be Larry Lambrecht at the end of the day, the standard by which we are all measured.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:45:24 AM »
A side benefit of the new CG is that the originals have come down in price. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »
Other denizens of this modest assemblage with photos in the second volume are Jon Cavalier, Bogey Henderson, Kyle Henderson, Brad Tufts, Tom Dunne and Ruediger Meyer. Of course, we're all simply trying to be Larry Lambrecht at the end of the day, the standard by which we are all measured.

Is "Bogey Henderson" actually Bogey Hendren?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »

No.  Mr Hendren may have a photo in Volume 3, from when we played at Teugega, but he doesn't have one in this book.  Michael Henderson, who does, is an Australian who worked on our crew at Tara Iti.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »
I just received my copy. Good to see Tobacco Road getting some much deserved love.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 02:20:42 PM »
Oops.

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 03:10:51 PM »

No.  Mr Hendren may have a photo in Volume 3, from when we played at Teugega, but he doesn't have one in this book.  Michael Henderson, who does, is an Australian who worked on our crew at Tara Iti.

We are brothers only in spirit...

I am eagerly awaiting delivery!!!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 04:50:35 PM »
Cool. Didn't know one of mine was picked. Very excited!

David Amarnek

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 08:29:08 PM »
I just spent the past few hours going through my copy (which arrived today) and, like Volume 1, it's quite enjoyable.
Tom, I know this volume just came out, but when can we expect Volume 3?  Just curious, as it's going to cover courses where I have the most experience (Philly, New York, St. Louis, etc.). 
Thanks!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 08:52:10 PM »
Tom, I know this volume just came out, but when can we expect Volume 3?

You should expect it pretty much one year from today.

It's possible it will be done sooner; I just have to decide whether I'm going to make my deadline this winter, or hold out until spring in hopes that I have time to get to one or two corners I've missed.  I was still traveling for Volume 2 until the end of May to have it ready by the end of September. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 09:34:51 PM »
Whoops...I should learn last names a bit better. Sorry for the mislead.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 07:42:51 AM »
I received my copy yesterday evening and it felt like Christmas morning when I saw the package in my mailbox! :)

I only had time to read a few of the longer profiles and to Glace through a few of the reviews (mostly the Carolinas) and so far the book is terrific. Can't wait to dig into it more this weekend.

Thanks again to everyone involved.
H.P.S.

Michael Graham

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 07:46:59 AM »
Really hoping us overseas who ordered the full set don't have to wait too much longer for vol. II. I've got a special bottle of wheat beer chilling in the fridge ready for it arriving. Must hold on...

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 12:58:55 PM »
Just arrived and I've only flipped through it.  Looking forward to reading it in detail.  Kind of a shame that noone appears to have made it out to Barona Creek...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Daryl David

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 01:07:18 PM »
Just arrived and I've only flipped through it.  Looking forward to reading it in detail.  Kind of a shame that noone appears to have made it out to Barona Creek...

Agree. Especially after seeing all the love for Sand Hollow.  Sand Hollow is certainly a course one should see if in the area.  It's unique given the site and lots of fun to play.  Same description easily applies to Barona.

K Rafkin

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »
I realize that Darius just spent a good bit of time traveling though the US.  Did his recent insights come in time to make it into the guide?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 03:56:30 PM »
I realize that Darius just spent a good bit of time traveling though the US.  Did his recent insights come in time to make it into the guide?

No ... he only arrived here just after I'd put Volume 2 to bed.  However, he has seen lots of courses that will be included in Volume 3 as a result of his trip.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 04:41:48 PM »
I received my copy today. The thing that really stands out are the low scores. Except for the few 8s & 9s the best scores are 7s & 6s. The scores are considerable lower than the GB&I scores. There are an awful lot of 4s & 5s. Unfortunately, I agree with most of the scores. It is a shame that we don't have more high quality course in the south. I will interested to see how the north fares.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 04:54:34 PM »
I received my copy today. The thing that really stands out are the low scores. Except for the few 8s & 9s the best scores are 7s & 6s. The scores are considerable lower than the GB&I scores. There are an awful lot of 4s & 5s. Unfortunately, I agree with most of the scores. It is a shame that we don't have more high quality course in the south. I will interested to see how the north fares.

You're surprised that Britain and Ireland have more great courses than the southern U.S., the Caribbean and South America?  Wait until we get to Europe and Africa!

That said, I think there are more low scores in this part of the book because I played a bunch of middling courses in the southern states back when I was younger, just to get out of the snow.  If those courses were in the north, I never would have bothered to go see them.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »

I kind of went the other way, I thought the scores were relatively high...I was hoping to see a bit more "blood on Tom's hands"  haha!  But I guess the book wasn't meant to call out all the awful courses out there.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 05:35:37 PM »

You're surprised that Britain and Ireland have more great courses than the southern U.S., the Caribbean and South America?  Wait until we get to Europe and Africa!

That said, I think there are more low scores in this part of the book because I played a bunch of middling courses in the southern states back when I was younger, just to get out of the snow.  If those courses were in the north, I never would have bothered to go see them.

I am not as much surprised that the scores for GB&I were higher. I am more dismayed that the south doesn't have more high quality courses. I did notice that there were a number of courses that could have made the scores higher if they had been played, especially in North Carolina.  But you can't play them all.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Greg Holland

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 10:46:49 PM »

I did notice that there were a number of courses that could have made the scores higher if they had been played, especially in North Carolina.  But you can't play them all.

Tommy,
You have played tons of courses -- so would love to see the NC courses you think would have scored well or that you at least would have liked to have seen included in this volume.  Please share. 

Carl Rogers

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 07:25:34 AM »
Pinehurst Resort Courses (not No.2), got very low scores.  I was surprised, as I just assumed that No.1 & No.3 were just miniaturized versions of No.2 without the excessive efforts to "defend par".  From CG Vol. 2, I have decided to skip them and just pay up for No.2, sometime before next spring on a relatively warm day.
The latest Dixie Cup courses were represented and IMHO accurately assessed and rated.  I need more rounds a Lookout Mt.!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:57:57 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:56 AM »
Nice highlight for the California Golf Club of San Francisco.  Perhaps the best photo in volume 2 as well.

A lot of ground was covered and I now understand more why summer and winter volumes were split into 2 books.  Loved the Carolinas coverage in particular.

Another great cover in the Valley Club of Montecito. 

I did notice a small clerical error on the back cover where it states "... is the first of five volumes, ...".  Should be the second now, but not a big deal.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:35:02 AM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back