News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

Lofoten Links Norway
« on: October 04, 2015, 02:01:26 AM »
I saw a clip on CNN today about Lofoten Links which just opened this year in Norway. As you might imagine Suzzane Peterson was their spokesperson. The course designed by Jeremy Turner looked quite spectacular, as its within the Arctic Circle you can also observe the Northern Lights. Another plus is 24 hours of daylight for two months of the year! Here is a link to their website:
http://lofotenlinks.no/golf/?lang=en
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Adam Lawrence

Re: Lofoten Links Norway
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 02:54:38 AM »
I was there about three years ago, while the expansion to eighteen holes was in construction. It is an amazing place -- the second hole is a par three with the green on a rock stack surrounded almost entirely by the Arctic Ocean. There is a resident pod of killer whales that you see often swimming up and down the coast. Quite astounding.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »
The Lofoten Islands must be one of the most stunningly beautiful places on earth. Although I have not seen the course, I can't imagine a better setting for golf.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »
In the spirit of Nicklaus' Concession Course, will this one be called "No Concession?"   ;D

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »
I actually visited the Lofoten islands for a work event a few weeks ago and played several holes upon arrival. The setting is just astounding and there are some very enjoyable holes. I would recommend bringing plenty of golf balls if you aren't a straight hitter. Loved the par three that juts out into the ocean. The course obviously doesn't get much traffic given the remoteness of the location and the short season, so you shouldn't expect pristine conditioning. Definitely the most unique setting in which I have played golf. 
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 11:28:38 AM »
Definitely the most unique setting in which I have played golf.

That could make an interesting article: most unique settings in golf.  Places like Lofoten, Himalayas Golf Club, etc.  Any other suggestions from the board? 

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 11:35:55 AM »
I would sincerely hope that no editor would commission an article involving the appalling phrase 'most unique'.
Adam Lawrence

Matt Kardash

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »
Wow the second hole looks pretty spectacular!
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
I would sincerely hope that no editor would commission an article involving the appalling phrase 'most unique'.

Besides objecting to the wording of the title, are you interested in the theme of unusual and fascinating settings for golf courses? 

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 02:07:38 PM »
Yes, of course. And I think unusual is the right word, by the way, not unique  :)
Adam Lawrence

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 05:50:12 PM »
Just how remote is Lofoten Island, my goggle maps couldn't find it! How does one get there, by plane I would imagine. What sort of travel time from Oslo? I could care less about fairway conditioning, how did the greens putt?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Matt Kardash

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 06:05:47 PM »
Just how remote is Lofoten Island, my goggle maps couldn't find it! How does one get there, by plane I would imagine. What sort of travel time from Oslo? I could care less about fairway conditioning, how did the greens putt?

Search this address
Hov, 8314 Gimsøysand, norway

It is crazy remote. In northern Norway. 68 degrees north!
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 07:03:56 PM »
Matt, 

Thanks I tried Hov Grimsoy with no luck. That is remote, north of Alaska even! Suzanne was well bundled up with a parka and scarve.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »

Ice is smooth but very quick!

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 09:31:17 PM »
looks fascinating, thanks for sharing Pete.  You can see its location by clicking 'Contact Us' in the upper right corner of their site, which brings up its location in google maps.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 05:04:28 AM »
looks fascinating, thanks for sharing Pete.  You can see its location by clicking 'Contact Us' in the upper right corner of their site, which brings up its location in google maps.

Sure enough that worked! Hey remember I'm not necessarily the brightest bulb in the circuit because I'm half Polish too  :D Good to see you still check in to gca!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 05:20:47 AM »
Lofoten is not an island, but an archipelago of many islands of which Gimsoy, where the golf course is, is one.

It is both remote and a long, long way north - you are well inside the Arctic Circle and hence you get 24 hour daylight in summer and darkness in winter. The climate, however, is remarkably mild considering its position - the islands get the full impact of the Gulf Stream, and summer temperatures are typically well in excess of 20C.

Getting there is a drag. The easiest way is to fly to Evenes airport, which has scheduled service several times a day from Oslo. It's then a spectacular three hour drive to the golf course. Alternatively, there is a small airport elsewhere in the archipelago, but that doesn't have a direct service to Oslo.

There are plans to build a new airport for the Lofotens which would be on the island of Gimsoy itself. Clearly that would be transformative for the golf course.

The archipelago is a major tourist destination in summer already.

ps... on access to the area, if attempting to fly to Svolvaer airport (Svolvaer is the capital of the archipelago) you have to connect via Bodo, some way to the south. Reason for mentioning this is that Bodo also has a golf course, designed by GCA's own Robin Hiseman. See http://http://www.bodogolfpark.no for more (only in Norwegian I'm afraid, but with a nice gallery of pics)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 05:39:19 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 07:59:53 AM »

Fair enough, Adam. That is a bit of an embarrassing error by a publishing research analyst. Perhaps I should stop drinking mid morning.       
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 02:21:46 PM »
Wow!

Golf, Killer Whales and the Northern Lights! Wonderful.

I wonder how close the Hurtigruten docks?

atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 03:04:36 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing this course in person, hopefully next summer.  So I'm not going to the site to look at the pictures!

Søren Rye

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 03:13:36 PM »

I am looking forward to seeing this course in person, hopefully next summer.  So I'm not going to the site to look at the pictures!

Good call, the pictures are amazing.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »
Wow!

Golf, Killer Whales and the Northern Lights! Wonderful.

I wonder how close the Hurtigruten docks?

atb

Svolvaer is closest. About half an hour away
Adam Lawrence

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 05:31:59 AM »
I'm glad the thread generated some interest. The course alone looked stunning, throw in jaw dropping scenery, 24 hours of daylight and the northern lights and it seems like a nobrainer. Hopefully the local gals are all as stunning as Suzanne! Thanks to Adam for all the information.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 05:46:36 AM »
Not wishing to thread jack, but just to correct the web link that Adam posted to the golf course at Bodo (pronounced boo-da).
http://www.bodogolfpark.no/

You can see Lofoten from Bodo, and it shares some equally stunning coastline, as well as a back nine in the forests below the high peaks. Quite a 'Rockies' feel to it. Bodo is served by the Hurtigruten and regular flights from Oslo. I was there for the first nine in 2003-04 and they adapted my plans for the back nine and a couple of new holes near the shoreline (that don't quite fit with the flow) to make two loops of nine. Like most courses this far north there is a homespun nature to the construction, but they are a very well organised and enthusiastic club. I'd love to go back one day.

There is also a spectacular 18-hole course up at Narvik, where they hold an annual 72-hole Open, played in a single day!
http://www.narvikgolf.no/default.aspx

Golf course maintenance is quite a challenge this far north, so expect a few frayed edges and slower greens. 24 hour daylight means 24 hours of growing. The poor greens staff just can't keep up with the grass at the height of summer. As you might expect, these guys are not exactly at the cutting edge of the trade!

The three of these combined into a single trip would make a most unique golf experience (sorry Adam ;)). Midnight golf is quite something.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 05:52:55 AM »
One other thing I meant to mention. When I visited, I met Frode Hov, the owner. Frode mentioned that his family came originally from Bergen then, on another occasion, said that the land on which the course is situated had been in his family for 400 years (both family and land are called Hov). I said 'I thought you mentioned your family came from Bergen?' to which Frode answered, 'yeah, but that was a long, long time ago -- they were, like, Vikings.'

It's that kind of place.
Adam Lawrence

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back