News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Michigan Top 25 Rankings (2015) Final list New
« on: October 03, 2015, 09:02:04 PM »
1. Crystal Downs (12 votes)
 2. Orchard lake CC (7 votes)
 3. Greywalls  (3 votes)
 4. Oakland Hills (South)  (10 votes)
 5. Franklin Hills (8 votes)
 6. Kingsley Club (14 votes)
 7. Battle Creek (6 votes)
 8. Forest Dunes (11 votes)
 9. Indianwood (old) (12 votes)
 9. University of Michigan GC (14 votes)
11. Muskegon CC (2 votes)
12. Arcadia Bluffs (12 votes)
13. Lost Dunes (6 votes)
14. CC of Detroit (6 votes)
15. Belvedere (8 votes)
16. Radrick Farms (10 votes)
17. Grosse Ile (6 votes)
18. Barton Hills (9 votes)
19. Oakland Hills (North) (6 votes)
20. Lakewood Shores (Gailes) (5 votes)
21. Plum Hollow (6 votes)
22. Bloomfield Hills (5 votes)
23. Pilgrims Run (4 votes)
24. Point O Woods (4 votes)
25. The Mines (3 votes)

The list was made by 15 Michigan GCAers.  3 from SW Michigan, 1 UPer, and 10 SE Michigan, 1 Central.  Just used averages and nothing was thrown out.  Course needs 2 votes to be on the list. Hope to complete a Michigan regional Gems list by the end of next year.  Hope this produces more trips from our Michiganders to play ones on list they haven't played.  It's just as fun to start at the bottom and work your way up.  Remember some of these need more plays and others need to see course after good and bad work have been done to them. 

2016 list requirements for voting.  10 courses Played from 2015 list.  Course must be played by 3 different voters to be eligible to be rated in top 25.  Must have played 5 courses listed in 2015 top 10 to be eligible to vote.  Have to live in Michigan.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:13:53 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Keith OHalloran

Re: Michigan GCA Top 25 Rankings (2015)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:05:24 PM »
Kingsley is behind U of Michigan? Do they not bump for being private?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 09:20:08 PM »
I haven't played much golf in Michigan, but I can say that this the most unique rankings list I've seen regarding the courses there.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 09:58:17 PM »
I'd love to see the arguments supporting Plum Hollow as a, say, top 50 course in Michigan.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 10:22:20 PM »
I'm not a Michigander, but I've played about a dozen courses in the state. I like the list, but since these things are made for discussion, I have to ask:

I know how some people around here feel about Arcadia Bluffs, but is that really not a top 25 in the state? For me anyway, it's a hell of a lot better than Point O Woods.

Also, no Dunes Club? Did that get disqualified for only having 9 holes?

In any event, as this list shows, Michigan really does have a ton of great golf. Looking forward to visiting next week.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:23:56 PM by Jon Cavalier »
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 10:27:17 PM »
Arcadia Bluffs, Pilgrims Run and Tullymore should be on the list. Several of those on the list aren't even the best course in their county.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 10:36:56 PM »
If this list is one put together by a group of individuals, and it reflects their personal preference, why is the reaction invariably that it is incorrect or incomplete? Why the constant focus on rankings? And why does anyone care whether a particular course is included on another's list?  ::)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:38:52 PM by Brian Hoover »

Nigel Islam

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 10:38:02 PM »
I'm not a Michigander, but I've played about a dozen courses in the state. I like the list, but since these things are made for discussion, I have to ask:

I know how some people around here feel about Arcadia Bluffs, but is that really not a top 25 in the state? For me anyway, it's a hell of a lot better than Point O Woods.

In any event, as this list shows, Michigan really does have a ton of great golf. Looking forward to visiting next week.

Uh yeah, I have played a lot of really good golf courses, particularly in the last 4 years and I would be stunned if Arcadia Bluffs is not in the Top 25 in the state.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 10:39:26 PM »

I hope it warms up. It was a balmy 54 degrees with a wind chill of about 40 here in Hevansville today!

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 10:40:44 PM »

I hope it warms up. It was a balmy 54 degrees with a wind chill of about 40 here in Hevansville today!

Compared to what I played in today, that's paradise.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 10:56:42 PM »
If this list is one put together by a group of individuals, and it reflects their personal preference, why is the reaction invariably that it is incorrect or incomplete? Why the constant focus on rankings? And why does anyone care whether a particular course is included on another's list?  ::)

Brian - maybe because the "group of individuals" who put this list together also care/focus on rankings, and in fact probably care more than the posters who've so far responded (none of whom have felt the need to publish their own ratings/rankings.) This list has been posted here precisely because "personal preference" isn't enough for them; if it was enough, they'd have kept their personal/private list, well, private. (In other words, to answer your question "why" -- because they were asking for it!  :) ) But heck, why not? I guess one way to lessen the perceived influence of the 'major' rankings (GD, Golf Magazine, Golf Week) is to keep posting your own, and thus promote the courses you want to promote. The sad part for me is: I was looking forward to playing Greywalls and Belvedere one summer, but now that I'm told they are only the 9th and 14th best in the state, forget it!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:01:37 PM by PPallotta »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 01:54:46 AM »
Who were the 8, and what was the methodology?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Neil Johnston

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 02:00:54 AM »
The Mines is a fun track, but to suggest it is better than Arcadia is kind of a joke.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 06:43:45 AM »
If there are 18 courses better than Barton Hills there's essentially no reason to ever leave the state.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 10:27:39 AM »
OK Ben … no Port Huron Golf Club….. no Black River?   I know I'm hopelessly prejudiced!  They much be best in their county!

Cedar River doesn't get much credit.  IMO very good even with a couple quirky holes.  I think the quirks are fine too play.

I agree with Jud

Tony

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »
I think a state of Michigan ranking is a cool idea.  Although the state only has a couple marquee courses as compared to some other states, I think the depth beyond the top 10 or so is as good as anywhere and particularly on the public side.

I don't agree with a whole lot of this list.  Admittedly though, while I've played over 100 courses in Michigan my SE Michigan resume is short and this list reflects a large SE Michigan bias. 

It would be fun for these 8 guys to venture out into the state more and for me to spend more time in SE MI so we could compare down the road.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »
 8)  You should get the Dallas Morning News raters up there... they'd probably include some Dallas courses... errr more Detroit courses..

really should divide things up public & private, the Mines is public and would move up against its peers but really ... I can't see Belvedere above ForestDunes or the Mines above Black Forest

and how about a NLE ranking with Highpointe, now a Hops farm
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 05:47:41 PM »
Steve,

I'd rank those in the following order:

Belvedere
Forest Dunes
Mines
Black Forest
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
Steve,

Belvedere
Forest Dunes
Mines
Black Forest

Yeah.  Me too.  I am struggling to give this list any credibility.  It is a conglomerate of 8 people so the outlier opinions should be mitigated.  BUT .....

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 07:07:47 PM »
Not sure what all the fuss is about.  Every Michigan course Golfweek lists except for Arcadia and Dunes is represented...thats 13 of 15 courses.  It doesn't seem like the other ten are crazy choices...though I thought there should be room for Lakewood Shores. 

Ciao 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:11:27 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jim Nugent

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 07:08:52 PM »
Here is how Michigan courses rated/ranked in the unofficial GCA rankings in 2009:

Course                     Ranking    Ave Score
Crystal Downs              13          9.1
Kinglsey                         54T        7.8
OH South                      85T        7.5
Franklin Hills                85T         7.5
Lost Dunes                   191         6.7
Arcadia Bluffs              211         6.6
Point O'Woods            224         6.5

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 08:31:30 PM »
Steve,

Belvedere
Forest Dunes
Mines
Black Forest

Yeah.  Me too.  I am struggling to give this list any credibility.  It is a conglomerate of 8 people so the outlier opinions should be mitigated.  BUT .....

Bart,

I applaud their effort and think it is a worthy cause.  The problem is the depth they will find in the 10-25 spots.  There are probably 40+ candidates for those 15 spots so they'll need to have a panel/group who has seen several courses.  They very well could have such a panel now and if so, I'll need to see more SE courses to be able to agree or disagree.  The absence of Dunes Club, Arcadia Bluffs, Tullymore, Lakewood Shores Gailes and a few others raises a flag for me but again, SE could be that deep.

In any event, It will be fun to see this develop and hopefully add some input.

BHoover

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 08:48:28 PM »
I am struggling to give this list any credibility.  It is a conglomerate of 8 people so the outlier opinions should be mitigated.  BUT .....

Well if you struggle to give this list credibility, then I guess that means it must be wrong. Give me a break.

I don't know if this list is "correct" or not, but why does that means it lacks credibility?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:51:21 PM by Brian Hoover »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 09:32:24 PM »
Brian

Because there is no explanation of how the list was compiled or what criteria were used to create the rankings. It also doesn't match my experience with the courses involved or with other people's opinions that I know and respect. 

I didn't say it was wrong. It might be right if the courses were rated by a certain set of criteria.  But they haven't explained how the courses were evaluated. 

I don't have to find it credible for others to find it so. I claim no ability to speak for anyone but myself.

Bart

Steve Lang

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 09:53:58 PM »
 8)  SO WHO ARE THE GCA PANELISTS?

AND WHAT IS THE SOMETHING THEY ARE REALY RATING? 

... AND ARE LISTENING TO AND SINGING COUNTRY MUSIC TUNES WHILE PLAYING?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back