News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Ardfin
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:14:42 PM »
Greetings all from the Isle of Jura, where I have just visited Bob Harrison’s in-construction Ardfin course on the southern tip of the island.

I think it is as beautiful a place as I have ever seen a golf course. It must also be among the most difficult; there appears to be almost no decent soil anywhere on the property -- it's all either peat bog or solid rock. Bob's design is very impressive, with greens that are mostly very small and quite severely contoured. It is going to be very difficult.

They still have not decided exactly how the place will operate -- it went through planning as a private course for the use of landowner Greg Coffey and his guests. But you don't need four sets of tees and a driving range for a course like that.

When it's done I think it'll become a must-see for a lot of golfers.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Ardfin
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 01:26:38 PM »
I should note that Darius's claim that the course is without irrigation is not correct -- it's not huge, but there is a Toro system installed. I don't think it covers fairways
Adam Lawrence

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 01:34:13 PM »
Here is a much more detailed look at the plan for the course:

http://www.harrisongolf.com.au/ardfin-estate-golf-course-jura-scotland-construction-update

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 07:47:39 PM »
Here is a much more detailed look at the plan for the course:

http://www.harrisongolf.com.au/ardfin-estate-golf-course-jura-scotland-construction-update

Stunning scenery.

The skeptic in me wants to see minimally maintained simple Eddie Hackett style architecture in such remote places, and I generally have little interest in such high end places but wow,
I do want to see this place.
 I've been to The Machrie and hope to return-I'm hoping they don't go crazy homogonizing it with all the "blindness reduction"
Would seem a nice pairing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:39:59 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 01:09:21 AM »
I'm not sure I would describe it as high end. Eddie Hackett would never have tried to build a golf course here, he had more sense. It has a very slight air of a rich man's folly about it, but if it is, it's a glorious one.
Adam Lawrence

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 07:36:28 AM »
Adam

When you say it is all peat and rocks, what have they done to build the course ? Have they just tried to drain it or have they brought in better material ?

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
I was exaggerating slightly. There is a little bit of usable topsoil in places, and they've pilfered some from elsewhere on the estate. So there is _some_ soil to grow grass in. But not much, and it isn't very appealing.

There were several tees built that had not yet been grassed, and were waiting for soil. They have been shaped up in pure stone.
Adam Lawrence

Paul Gray

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 08:42:34 PM »
Adam,

Before reading your more recent comments I was thinking this might not be more than another expensive attempt to dictate to nature. I hope I'm wrong but your 'rich man's folly' comment strikes me as alarmingly accurate.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 03:01:10 AM »
it is an interesting one. I would not say they have tried to dictate to nature in the design of the course -- there has been very little earthmoving, it's a very natural course in that respect.

It just seems such a strange site on which to build golf. I have to say that the construction team (SOL Golf) are doing an amazing job. All their materials -- root zone etc -- are coming in by boat to be unloaded at the pier in the village of Craighouse about four miles away. Then they have to put them into a small truck and move them up the single track road to site.

I said to a friend yesterday that I was concerned that when visiting golfers start to come here, they will be expecting a links course, simply because it's Scotland, it's remote and it's by the sea. Only time will tell.
Adam Lawrence

Tim Gallant

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 03:06:56 AM »
With the sun shining here in Edinburgh this morning, I was thinking about golf (naturally), and my mind wandered towards the west coast, specifically Jura. Anyone know when there may be a 'soft' launch of Ardfin, and if they have decided what their model of operation will be?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 04:46:51 AM »
As I understand it, their model of public operation is such that it will be out of almost everyone's price bracket.

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 10:10:47 AM »
In case anyone missed it there was a bit of press comment this week, mainly the Scottish press I think, on the "opening" of the course in Spring next year. The estate manager (I think) was quoted as saying that no decision had been made on memberships/greenfees etc but the reports did mention that accommodation was being readied for the opening.

The reports weren't entirely positive as there was some grumbles from the locals.

Niall

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 11:16:58 AM »
I'm sure it's as good as advertised, yet I'd rather see the free course on Iona.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 04:44:45 PM »
The reports weren't entirely positive as there was some grumbles from the locals.
There are ALWAYS grumbles from the locals!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tim Gallant

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 02:06:29 PM »
Good news!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Ly3O7l1kK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
[/size]
[/size]Still unclear if that means open to the public, but if they are posting that, I have to assume there will be some outside play, otherwise, why say anything at all. Can't wait to hopefully see this place!
[/size]
[/size]

Michael Graham

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 03:27:02 PM »
Good news!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Ly3O7l1kK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Still unclear if that means open to the public, but if they are posting that, I have to assume there will be some outside play, otherwise, why say anything at all. Can't wait to hopefully see this place!

Fingers crossed Tim! If so we can get something in the diary.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 03:41:03 PM »
You don't build a fifteen bedroom lodge if there's going to be no outside play....
Adam Lawrence

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 04:47:23 PM »
You don't build a fifteen bedroom lodge if there's going to be no outside play....

Large % international membership?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 09:46:17 PM »
Either that or, as per the original planning & permit process, Mr. Coffey has many many friends, of varying ages and golfing abilities and from all around the world, and they are such a tight knit & golf loving group that they often come to visit him on his large private estate en masse, as one large party of 15, and they all bring their golf clubs, and all play together (from different sets of tees) in friendly and fun loving games that can go on for days and days, with lunches and dinners and comfortable beds provided for all  -- and yet, touchingly, the only 'currency' that ever changes hands is that of gratitude and goodwill.
Indeed, Tim, they are *so* golf loving (their motto being "Any friend of golf is a friend of Mr. Coffey's") that I wouldn't be surprised if, during lulls in their monthly get togethers, they'd be more than happy to welcome more and more friends, new ones  -- ones just like you and me and Kalen and Adam -- into their golf-loving circle.
Of course, at some point, out of sheer necessity mind you, that additional outside play might entail the use of a different kind of currency -- say, for example, some kind of voluntary donation, from each new friend (in British pounds or US dollars only, just for simplicity's sake), certainly unsought or rarely even mentioned but gratefully accepted nonetheless, just to keep the place clean and spruced up so that all of us can enjoy our stays, and as much golf on the wonderful golf course as we'd like.
And the best part: we won't be treated as 'guests' at a 'hotel', that's for sure -- nay, we'll all be treated as 'friends' in his 'home'!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:12:52 AM by Peter Pallotta »

V_Halyard

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 02:22:05 PM »

:D  lol - Not likely Hoping for drop-ins from airBnB
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »
I was on Islay last week and there were a good few Choppers coming and going to The Machrie. Ardfin guests, perchance?
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Conor Rankin

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 05:58:16 AM »
Has anyone heard of movement on the playing policy? The instagram post implies it should be open for play at this stage. I realise a few lucky soles have had the privilege recently

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back