News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Barry Stern

2 rounds in Montreal
« on: September 30, 2015, 06:11:33 PM »
Since everyone was so helpful with my last query, i have two free mid-week mornings in Montreal in mid-October, where I will be for "work."   I'd be grateful for your recommendations as always.  Thanks in advance....  [size=78%] [/size]

PCCraig

Re: 2 rounds in Montreal
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 06:16:45 PM »
Barry,

Joe Beef and Au Pied de Couchon.
H.P.S.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 07:29:48 PM »
Yes, the golf in the Montreal area isn't that great, honestly. Just eat our food. Montreal has great food. Golf is a waste of time.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Jon Heise

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 08:36:28 PM »
Yeah, Joe Beef.  Yeah.

My one loop was at Club De Golf Atlantide... liked it.  Not spectacular, but was fun.
I still like Greywalls better.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 09:19:13 PM »
Mt. Bruno.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 11:05:29 PM »
I cannot recommend Laval Sur le Lac (Blue) more highly.  It is without a doubt among the country's best 25 courses.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 11:13:15 AM »

Haven't been to Laval-sur-le-lac Blue, but definitely would be nice to see ian Andrew Mike weir work a year after !
If you have access to every club:
1-Mount Bruno, it's the best choice.
2-Kanawaki (where they made most of Golf Greatest game about Francis Ouimet) is a nice place.
3-Beaconsfield is pretty unique (don't look at the sod wall bunker at the 8th... wrong idea and I won't name the architect)
3-Hillsdale Laurentien Course
3-Royal Montreal Red Course (forget Rees Jones Blue Course)
4-Elm Ridge: parkland golf
4-Islemere, nice but chainsaw needed !!

Among public courses:
Les Dunes in Sorel (50 minutes out of town) is a great site, sandy among pines and great course, too bad for power lines.
Pat Rudy "Ireland Course" at Ile de Montreal is different... very difficult good or bad ????

Barry Stern

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »
Thanks all for these recommendations.  I neglected to mention that I'll be limited to the public options, so I"ll likely pursue the Pat Ruddy course, which sounds like a manufactured irish links-style deal.  I'll be sure to eat well though.  Thanks so much and I'll be sure to report back.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 01:02:44 PM »
The Irish links course is a ball buster because the course is honestly too narrow in many spots and the fairways are lined with fescue covered mounds. If you are off your game you can lose a ton of golf balls. The greens are also quite elevated, which is counter to what you would expect for this type of course. The sound of the bordering highway is also very present on about 4 or 5 holes. It does provide a different golfing experience that cannot be found in the Montreal area though. It does have some nice holes though.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 01:49:54 PM »
I cannot recommend Laval Sur le Lac (Blue) more highly.  It is without a doubt among the country's best 25 courses.
I didn't get a chance to play this course while I was working in Malone, New York, but some of our French Canadian members spoke very highly of it. Here's a flyover video: http://clsll.s3.amazonaws.com/bleu.mp4

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 08:22:54 AM »
Royal Montreal Blue where the Presidents Cup was held is worth seeing. Originally designed by Dick Wilson and retooled by Reese Jones it has some very worthy holes. I'm sure there is a contingent that is put off by Reese's involvement but I liked the golf course.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:34:38 PM by Tim Martin »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 08:44:59 PM »
I liked it as well Tim but with Mt Bruno and Laval in the area, RM Blue is a distant third (at best).

Ian Andrew

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 08:52:25 AM »
Barry,

Let me know your timing in Montreal.
I'll be working regularly at Laval-sur-le-lac this month.

It's the right time of year to arrange a game.
My email is here on site

Ian
-

Barry Stern

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 05:20:02 PM »
Will do Ian.  Many thanks to all.  I"ll report dutifully back.

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 08:09:57 AM »
I liked it as well Tim but with Mt Bruno and Laval in the area, RM Blue is a distant third (at best).

Saltzy-I was up there for the Presidents Cup and didn't see any of the areas other courses. Duly noted my friend. :)

Barry Stern

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 07:30:25 PM »
Just want to say that in addition to great food (you can add Le Serpent to your list), I had the great pleasure of receiving a guided tour, and playing the back 9, with Laval Sur le Lac's Ian Andrew.  The course is both a challenge and a delight (albeit not with the severe winds that bit us that afternoon), and the city is tremendous.

This listserve has helped developed a more educated eye for the courses i play -  would that it only translate into better scoring -  and has also rounded out my education is high-level snark.  For both I am grateful :)

Thank you Ian.  I told you to reach out to me when you come to NY and would love have you as a guest at the recently renovated Metropolis here in suburban NY.  As a way of paying it forward to the listserve, when Ian does reach out and we set that round up, I'll extend an open invitation to the listserve to fill out our foursome. 

Thanks again to Ian and all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back