News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

Greatest number of water hazards on a hole
« on: September 30, 2015, 05:44:03 PM »
What is the greatest number of water hazards you've had to cross, either the some body of water or multiple, on a single hole? And, did the multiple crossings enhance or hinder the hole?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:45:51 PM by John Connolly »
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Dave McCollum

Re: Greatest number of water hazards on a hole
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 06:37:23 PM »
Don’t have an answer to your question.  What come to mind was Huntsman Springs in Driggs, Idaho (other side of the Tetons).  They have water on something like 16 of 18 holes, yet the course is fun and playable.  Quite a feat of design/engineering. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 11:45:01 PM »
Dave,

Check out the creek at Wilshire.

It has to be crossed or comes into play on about 13 of the 18 holes,

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 12:10:50 AM »
I can think of plenty of holes where a carry over water is required on both the tee shot and approach shot. Two extreme examples that come to mind are just down the road at the same facility:

#9 at the McCormick Ranch Palm course is a mid-length par 4 where you play to an island fairway and from there again over water to a green with water on 3 sides.

#14 (I think?) on the Pine course at McCormick Ranch demands a drive over water (a long carry, as I recall) to a fairway that's set up a bit like Harbour Town's 18th--a wide spot that long drives can run through into the pond, or a narrower option) and then to an island green. That's a longish hole, too, as I recall.

Both courses are Desmond Muirhead.

Then I also have to mention #5 at Whistling Straits. A pond on the inside corner of the dogleg right on the tee shot, with water/marsh hugging the fairway all the way down the left side. Then that marsh becomes a pond that challenges the entire left side of the hole all the way to and wrapping around the green. Then again, in theory none of them are forced carries. You can tack around (not that it would be easy).

Dave McCollum

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 12:44:44 AM »
Pat,

I’ve been to events at Wilshire when I lived in LA.  Never considered playing golf there because I didn’t play much.  Loved driving by:  those high walls on either side a brief break from the general madness.   I have to think the “creek” there is like most creeks in LA—that is, a dry drainage channel for most of the year and only functions as a creek during the occasional big rain events.  Huntsman, OTOH, is built on a boggy mountain meadow at the foot of the Tetons.  You walk off the course into the native to hit your ball and, when you return, your footprints are filled with water.  A bit like Stone Eagle, when you see the site, you are floored that anybody had the audacity to build a golf course there, much less a good one.  Also, if you told me there was water on nearly every hole, my mind’s eye would wander to some Florida swamp.  As a totally “created” course from basically a zero site, it’s really quite remarkable.

Apologies for the thread jack.

Carr Harris

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 08:36:02 AM »

The 18th at The Harvester GC in Iowa is a cape par 5 which has you crossing the same hazard on every shot. I actually enjoyed this hole as a one off design even though it's not my cup of tee in general.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:44:41 AM by Carr Harris »

Chris Pearson

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 08:47:59 AM »
Man, Keith Foster LOVES to give you a chance to shoot yourself in the foot on his 18th holes.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 12:02:35 PM »
Well, the entire state of Florida comes to mind!!

Without a doubt, the most H2O that I have ever contended with is at a course on Sanibel Island called the Dunes. From tee to green they actually state the water comes into play 33 times. It was designed by Mark McCumber.

There is a par 5 where water comes into play on all 3 shots to get to the green.

And this goat track was about 5600 yards. Mistake made once and never repeated. Hey, it was the early 90's....i dodnt know any better.

http://www.dunesgolfsanibel.com/pdf/doc-golf-scorecard-1421651532.pdf

Another course comes to mind, too, and that's Old Marsh in Palm Beach Gardens.

John Connolly

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »
Thanks for the responses, gents. I'm not so much inquiring about a courses with a lot of water but rather a hole with multiple water crossings. Carr has offered a hole that has two crossings designed by Keith Foster. I ask because my home course has a winding river that required crossing three times on one of the holes. That hole was changed the year after it was created because it was probably considered suboptimal. So, to answer my own question, I've seen one hole (a drawing anyway) with three crossings - and it was the same river!
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Matthew Rose

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
There was a public course in northern Illinois I used to play occasionally as a kid called The Ledges.... there was a short par-four on the back nine where a creek snaked back and forth to a point that your tee shot actually crossed it three times before it would land.

Certainly not the most water I've seen on a hole, but is notable for the fact that your ball could cross six hazard lines in 200 yards.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

John McCarthy

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »
If the question is most separate water hazards, 10 at Butler National had (from the back tee) a "creek" in a ravine in front of the back tee which is actually an artificial lake made to look creek like.  Not really in play.  On the left of the landing zone is a good sized pond.  A massive slice will land one in another artificial creek, separate from the first one cited.  Finally, the approach is over a ravine with Salt Creek at the bottom. 

So 4 water hazards on one hole.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Will Stockert

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
Just south of Chicago in Hammond, IN lies a real treat of a golf course, Lost Marsh.  (Played there once, vowed to never return).  The first 5 holes are almost a joke as they were built in and around the wonderfully scenic Lake Calumet.  The 4th hole truly sets itself apart from the others though as one is required to hit a island fairway with the tee shot, a new island on the 2nd shot, and then an island green for the approach.  Oh, and the entire left side of the hole is OB!  If only one would combine the front 9 here and the back 9 at Seven Bridges.....

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 11:47:43 PM »
Dave,

The creek at Wilshire is the real deal, complete with water.

It meanders through the property, sometimes expanding to almost form a mini-pond, but, it's not just a dry bed.

Wilshire is one of the most enjoyable courses you could play in L.A. 

It's very sporty with plenty of variety and challenge.

I could play it every day and never tire of it.

If you get a chance to play it, don't pass it up.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »
The long (650, 605 yards) downhill 16th hole at Ross's Country Club of Asheville crosses the creek twice. I was told it used to cross it three times.  While it is very long the downhill tee shot shortens the hole considerably.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Moorhead

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »
Just south of Chicago in Hammond, IN lies a real treat of a golf course, Lost Marsh.  (Played there once, vowed to never return).  The first 5 holes are almost a joke as they were built in and around the wonderfully scenic Lake Calumet.  The 4th hole truly sets itself apart from the others though as one is required to hit a island fairway with the tee shot, a new island on the 2nd shot, and then an island green for the approach.  Oh, and the entire left side of the hole is OB!  If only one would combine the front 9 here and the back 9 at Seven Bridges.....

The fourth at Lost Marsh is one of the truly outstandingly terrible holes in golf.  The first (and final!) time I played the course, the reeds in the marsh at the end of each fairway segment were so high that you couldn't see the next fairway segment so it was effectively blind shots from lily pad to lily pad.  And, there's OB all the way down the left.  The back nine was more enjoyable but could not make up for the first five holes.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »
The closing hole at La Costa's Champions (North) Course is a good candidate here. There are three separate lakes, a stream, and a tributary that likely would all see action on a busy day. It's into the breeze, too.

The tributary is a bit blurry in this one, at the top of the photo (to the right of the layup area). I know the stuff on the right doesn't look to be in play but it definitely is with the trouble so close on the left.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back