News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Full Details Posted!
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
Say -

Thurs - there's a singles Open Comp each Thurs at Enniscrone - Euro-35 each I believe, which seems pretty good value.
Fri - Mulranny - include as a Buda day??
Sat/Sun - at Carne for 2 Buda days
Mon - Strandhill (or County Sligo?) maybe with possible 9-holes at Enniscrone Scurmore* course on route (ie splitting journey being half way)??
Tues - whatever suits

Just some thoughts.

Happy to fit in with what's most appropriate for all.

Can't wait.

Atb

* the Scurmore course is 9-holes that were part of the main Enniscrone course prior to it being changed by Donald Steel.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2015, 05:37:26 PM »
Just to clarify. Ally is talking about us delaying the BUDA for 2 weeks to September 16-19 and not bringing it forward into August.

If you have signed up for the confirmed date please let us know if the date two weeks later works for you or not. We'd like to avoid losing people due to Labor Day.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Garland Bayley

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »
I most like Dai's suggestions. I am open on the date other than that.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Pearce

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2015, 06:31:37 PM »
Two weeks later fine for me, though days are getting shorter.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Boon

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2015, 06:34:46 PM »
Robin,
Unfortunately I cant make the alternative date 2 weeks later. Already have a trip in the diary to Panmure and Carnoustie which Ben is likely to be on as well.
Cheers,
James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
Two weeks later is fine. 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2015, 03:19:55 AM »
Can do any date. 

Amazing how last minute so many clubs plan. Even to attract return business you need to know what's occurring 12 months hence.

This was mentioned in the bar at Notts. Although we have to work with the dates the Clubs allow us, it hurts the US contingent big time in the pocket when the event is during the school holiday period. All the more reason why I appreciate the efforts you guys make to attend.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Michael Graham

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2015, 03:37:40 AM »
Two weeks later is fine for me. Hopefully the Talbot hotel will have the same availability if the dates get pushed back by two weeks.

Niall C

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2015, 04:18:00 AM »
As I said before, I can make either dates. Personally I'll be travelling over by ferry from Scotland so I'll probably be fitting in a game before or after or even both so ATB's suggestion is not a bad one. That said, the organisers (Ally and Robin) can't please everyone and just need to make an executive decision one way or the other and I'm sure everyone will try their best to fit in.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2015, 04:47:48 AM »
Seems a shame if regulars arn't able to attend.

Happy to fit in with whatever dates are most suitable for all.

Thanks to the organisers for all their efforts to date. Well done.

Atb

Phil Lipper

« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2015, 09:39:10 AM »
I was there is July and for those looking for a unique experience I can't recommend Cruit Island enough.  Although only a nine holer its certainly worth the drive.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »
After a fair bit of chat Ally and I propose to keep the date and the itinerary pretty much as we had it and try to make something positive out of the enforced alteration.

What we propose is that we go to Enniscrone on Monday morning and play the Scurmore 9-holes before lunch and take the 2:40 afternoon tee times onwards on the Dunes Course.

We also propose that the Scurmore golf forms a new event in BUDA Cup history, with a 9-hole 4-ball Texas scramble competition, comprised of two members from each side. 5% of the combined player handicaps for the team handicap. A minimum of two tee shots from each player and €5 each into the kitty to be split between the winning team. The teams to be drawn at random from a hat at dinner the night before. With a bit of 'luck' perhaps Boony and Lou might end up on the same side for once!

We think it'll be fun for us to play with the enemy for a brief period, before hostilities are resumed with the afternoon singles. A bit like the Christmas Day Truce in No Man's Land!

The late finish means we'll need dinner and lodgings in Enniscrone on Monday night. We'll look into this. There are good pubs and restaurants in the village.
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Niall C

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »
That sounds like a good plan of action. Count me in.

Niall

Michael Graham

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2015, 11:35:47 AM »
Sounds excellent Robin. Extra golf is always a bonus. It makes sense to keep the dates as were. In terms of accommodation, my wife and I stayed at the Diamond Coast hotel a couple of weeks ago for a friend's wedding. Not perhaps the most atmospheric hotel but it is a 30 second drive from the golf club or more likely a five minute stumble. It's definitely big enough to acclimate all of us. There may, however, be better options in Enniscrone itself.

Michael

Thomas Dai

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2015, 12:03:58 PM »
In and looking forward to it. Going to be pretty tired afterwards though!

Enniscrone (Dunes) is a tough walk and the buggy routes are such that you have to inconveniently park rather a long way away from each green. So it may be worth making a block booking for electric power trolleys at Enniscrone (the website says they now have them). Not sure they have electric power trolleys at Carne but if they do a block booking there might be useful as well, if not some buggy reservations may be appropriate.

Atb

mike_malone

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2015, 11:13:36 PM »
I am flexible.
AKA Mayday

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2015, 03:32:09 AM »
Regards accommodation in Enniscrone, all should look to book The Ocean Sands on the Main Street, the default pub being the lovely Pilot Bar...

I haven't checked availability or held rooms but it is much more pleasant and central than the soulless Diamond Coast Hotel which is slightly removed from the village.

I will also be very happy to organise a mini-itinerary for those going onwards to Sligo and Donegal on the Tuesday and Wednesday... If that's what people wish...

Suggest you think about that more in early 2016.

Ally

James Boon

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2015, 04:23:56 AM »
Robin, Ally,

Sounds like a good plan! Thanks for all our hard work so far on this! If I'm not drawn with Lou in the scramble I'm going to be disappointed!  ;D  27 holes a day and a scramble thrown in, this isnt the strict Ryder Cup style format of previous years but I kind of like it. When in Ireland...

Ally,

I'm considering extending this trip by 2 or 3 days and heading north and east for further golf in the area. Strandhill, Rosses Point, N&P, Cruit etc all as possibilities depending upon time, budget, access (energy levels!) The extent of this isnt confirmed yet, and will depend upon various things but any assistance in putting this together would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there will be others that want to tag along as well.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2015, 10:46:56 PM »
I am in as before. One question... how does this revised schedule affect my reservation at the Talbot? What do I need to do (if anything) to make arrangements for the new schedule. I need to be spoon fed!

Also, please update the timeline post on the 1st page so no one is confused about the actual plan... as I seem to be!

Thanks!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2015, 06:36:55 AM »
I am in as well. Will probably come with my non-playing wife (well, she might do a wee 9 holer one day, but definitely not in the competition). I haven't reserved a room yet, as I've yet to determine which hotel is better for us. My wife might appreciate the pool they have at the Broadhaven, although I'm sure it'll be a bit more expensive than the group rate at the Talbot.

I trust the dates and locations in the initial posting are final?

cheers,

Ulrich
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:38:37 AM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2015, 07:00:11 AM »
Seeing that
  • the American side might turn out to be a wee bit understaffed
  • the formerly RoW team has been renamed to GB&I
  • and I have actually spent more time in the US than GB&I
I am willing to bring my questionable 12 handicap to the US side, if they would have me.

cheers,

Ulrich

PS: one precondition though: no VW jokes!

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »
Waterfront House is the best place to stay in Enniscrone. I've been a member for 10 years and stay there every time I go.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2015, 07:13:55 PM »
Original posting updated with new Enniscrone information.

Mike W: no change to the Talbot booking.
Ulrich: Welcome aboard. You're on the home team for now. Let's see how the US numbers pan out in the coming months.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2015, 05:15:54 AM »
Just to add, I suggested the Ocean Sands for those staying in Enniscrone on the Monday evening, primarily because it's on the Main Street, has 50 rooms and is next to the Pilot Bar which is a lovely wee spot... But The Waterfront House that Rory mentioned I'm sure is nicer, especially for those couples amongst you... Only 16 rooms, a little more soulful and luxurious, a little bit further away...

Of course, the BUDA finishes with the singles on the Monday afternoon so some may decide to move on to Sligo and Donegal that evening. That said, we will arrange a dinner in Enniscrone for those that stay around. I suspect this will be the majority.

If some want to do a mini-extension (Tuesday and Wednesday only, returning Thursday) then I can try and organise a 36 hole day at Rosses Point and Strandhill and a 27 hole day at Narin & Portnoo and Cruit Island.... Some may prefer to travel further up to Rosapenna, Portsalon or Ballyliffin on a longer extension... Again, I can help where needed.... Rather than clog up this thread with non-BUDA golf, I suggest people get their timetables set with flights etc. and in the first couple of months of 2016 I'll start a new thread where I can try and put a schedule together for those that wish to be led. Others will no doubt want to set their own itinerary.

Ally

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
While you're on the dinner topic, is there a particular reason we frequent the Chinese restaurant in Belmullet instead of one of the two (apparently) finer restaurants at the Talbot hotel?

Ulrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back