News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Full Details Posted!
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
Behind every successful man there is a surprised woman.

Welcome Josie and Kathleen.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2015, 12:32:31 PM »
Count Conrad Gamble and me in for this.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 03:02:17 PM »
Please reserve my place at the reduced captain emeritus rate, which I believe is 200%.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 05:46:18 AM »
I'm also up for this as is David Nelson so please add us to the list.

Thanks

Niall

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2015, 06:00:37 AM »
I have updated the first post with the list of confirmed attendees. A truly excellent response from reliable BUDA-ites. Still a few notable omissions from our regular US colleagues, but there is plenty of time yet. We'll have to draw a line under numbers at some point, but I shall discuss this with Ally and the club first.

The 8 singles in the Talbot Hotel are now all booked, but we still have a number of twins and doubles available. Availability may change, so if you really want a single, give it a go and let me know what they say.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2015, 06:17:02 AM »
I am quite sure the golf clubs and hotel will be quite willing to take extra numbers, Robin.

I'd only pencilled in a number of rooms under "Golf Club Atlas" but The Talbot will certainly take as many bookings as rooms they've got free. If not, The Broadhaven is a worthy second choice, the only downside being that it is 500m further from the town and the den of iniquity that can be McDonnells pub on a Friday and Saturday night.

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2015, 06:23:01 AM »
Den of iniquity suits me !

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2015, 06:41:18 AM »
Do you sell land Ally? More like 1000 metres I'd say! Still, a good sobering up distance, which cannot be said for the 50 metres from the pub to the Talbot!
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Eric Smith

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2015, 08:28:16 AM »
Nice one Robin and Ally! As expected, another BUDA for the ages is in store! I was wholeheartedly planning to make the next BUDA, until I read Robin's announcement that it was to be held over Labor Day weekend :'(, which makes it impossible for me to attend as I will be on vacation with my family.
Take care and have fun, gentlemen!

James Boon

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2015, 08:33:14 AM »
Den of iniquity suits me !

One of my overriding memories of Buda at Silloth was leaving the beer festival late, only to find that I couldn't get into the hotel! So headed back to the festival which was about to close, to find a fellow Pest with a key. Walking down the road I spotted a Niall eyeing up a pub that was still open late. Obviously needing this man's key was the only reason I stayed out for several more beers and this had nothing to do with the thrashing Donal gave me in the singles...  ::)

Next September can't come quick enough!

Cheers,

James

ps Sorry to hear you can't make it Eric!
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2015, 08:39:32 AM »
James,
When you mentioned the Silloth beer festival, immediately after Eric's post, I assumed you were going in a completely different direction!
Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 08:55:41 AM »
I have updated the first post with the list of confirmed attendees. A truly excellent response from reliable BUDA-ites. Still a few notable omissions from our regular US colleagues, but there is plenty of time yet. We'll have to draw a line under numbers at some point, but I shall discuss this with Ally and the club first.

The 8 singles in the Talbot Hotel are now all booked, but we still have a number of twins and doubles available. Availability may change, so if you really want a single, give it a go and let me know what they say.

Robin, I suspect Kathleen will be happy to play social non-Buda golf during the event, but can be counted on for the après golf activities!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 09:16:37 AM »
Eric

Sorry you're not going to make it over. You're the second person to mention this Labor Day thingy. Boony will incur the 'Rough of Carne' on your behalf.

Eric Smith

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 10:13:22 AM »
James,
When you mentioned the Silloth beer festival, immediately after Eric's post, I assumed you were going in a completely different direction!
Mark

Has to be at least a couple U2 tribute bands there in Belmullet?! ;D

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 10:47:26 AM »
You know you want to...

Michael Graham

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »
You know you want to...

It's going to be an even longer twelve months if you keep drip feeding photos like that Robin. As if it wasn't already.

Am I right in thinking Labor Day for many marks the end of summer, and more importantly after which it is no longer sartorially acceptable to wear white in public?

Michael

mike_malone

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2015, 12:20:49 PM »
I want to play for the Irish team.
AKA Mayday

James Boon

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »

Mark, Eric,

Yes I suppose it should have been a cider & U2 reference, but the look on Niall's face as he sized up the pub well after we should have been just beats it...

Eric
Sorry you're not going to make it over. You're the second person to mention this Labor Day thingy. Boony will incur the 'Rough of Carne' on your behalf.

Robin,

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2015, 05:00:50 AM »
All,

Unfortunately Enniscrone just contacted me to say that their annual tournament The West Coast Challenge (co-hosts with Strandhill, Donegal and Bundoran) has been pulled ahead of schedule to September 4th to 8th next year.

That means we can only get tee-times on Monday 5th from 2.40 P.M. onwards for the singles.... I have booked this although I realise it may cause a problem with anyone intending to get a late flight back to the UK or elsewhere from Dublin or Belfast on the Monday evening. Given that many would have had to wait until Tuesday for flights in any case, I'm hoping this doesn't cause too much inconvenience? Certainly Carne will also be available for a few extra holes on Monday morning before heading to Enniscrone if people wish.

One final option is that we may be able to move the whole weekend back two weeks. But we'd only consider doing this if ALL of the confirmed twenty to date could still make it. I think this would prove unlikely.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:18:50 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

Niall C

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2015, 05:55:42 AM »
FWIW, the dates are immaterial to me.

Niall

James Boon

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 06:21:28 AM »
I'm okay with the earlier dates.

Not being an expert on the holiday system on the other side of the pond, would that open this up to those that couldn't make it because of the Labour Day holiday?

Cheers,

James

Mark Pearce

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2015, 06:47:09 AM »
August dates harder for those of us in the UK with school age kids.

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2015, 06:50:51 AM »
Labor Day weekend isn't great for me...may be in the US, but I will keep tabs and see what gives.  Regardless, with 20 on board, surely its easier to skip Enniscrone if its an issue and play somewhere else rather than change the dates.  Rosses Point is just up the road....

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Boon

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2015, 07:23:42 AM »
Ally,
Could we move Enniscrone to the Friday? Or playing all 3 Buda days at Carne would be great as we've done it before at Silloth. But seems a shame to stick to one place with several other options "loosely" nearby. Rosses Point looks to be 2 hours drive away which could be done in honour of the Dutch Buda!  ;D
Cheers,
James

Michael Graham

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2015, 07:31:03 AM »
Ally,

While it would have been easier to have morning tee times at Enniscrone I don't think going out in the afternoon will make too much difference. If we were finishing at Enniscrone in the afternoon as planned it would still be tight to make evening flights from Dublin/Belfast. Flying into/out of Knock makes that less of an issue but not everyone will be doing that.
I would have thought most of us will be travelling home on the Tuesday at the earliest.

Michael

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back