News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Full Details Posted!
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2015, 03:54:03 AM »
Ulrich, This tourist bit could possibly  do with it's own thread but week 2.

I spoke with my mother last night and she chided me for never having got to Westport, as it's her favourite destination for a minibreak. From there its just a short hop to Galway which is a very cool city. Cross the Burren (unique limestone barrenness), stop at Doolin, for the traditional music and you're next door to Lahinch which is a fun place and brings us back to world class golf. I don't have a personal top 10 list, but there's nowhere I rank above Lahinch!

After that, 48hrs in Dublin (The Island and both Portmarnocks are really close) and your week is done with only one longish drive.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2015, 05:24:56 AM »
Céide Fields looks like a must-see to me!

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Jay Mickle

« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »
Thomas, Just realized that I had taken photos for a panorama. It didn't stitch perfectly. Note grazing sheep on the far left,
]
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

mike_malone

« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »
Ciede Fields is the place. It is a bog  museum. 
AKA Mayday

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2015, 05:08:02 PM »
For those looking for things to do in and around Belmullet, I'd recommend visiting www.errisbeo.com

Erris is the larger area that Carne resides within. Traditionally it did not see a lot of tourism but recent efforts by the locals have opened up its treasures to the wider public, to the extent that it was recently voted the best place "to go wild" in Ireland (referring to the landscape, not the party scene).

Definitely worth getting to know the area whilst there.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »
I am seriously considering attending.  Let me know if you are making a block booking of the power carts (Carne lists  having a limited number), as my distance walking is pretty much kaput.  Is anyone considering playing Royal Portrush or RCD either before or (preferably) after the Buda? Please PM me if you are interested.

Michael Graham

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2015, 04:22:27 AM »
I'm not usually a fan of pasting links to articles in threads but I thought I'd make an exception in this case. Apologies if it has been posted before.

A short video of Sports Illustrated's John Garrity explaining his love for Carne. It might serve as an advertising tool for next year's Buda.

http://www.golf.com/video/carne-golf-northern-ireland-emerald-isle-escape

Rich Goodale

« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »
Somewhat OT, but .......

Maureen O'Hara passed away recently, and if anybody like me thinks that "The Quiet Man" where she starred opposite John Wayne is one of the great films of all time, and you are coming to Buda 2016, stop on your way from Connemarra and take a wee detour to see the "Quiet Man" bridge.  Do what you wish when there, but I will be closing my eyes, thinking of the Duke and Maureen, and wiping away the tears.......
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

jeffwarne

« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2015, 07:05:15 PM »
Somewhat OT, but .......

Maureen O'Hara passed away recently, and if anybody like me thinks that "The Quiet Man" where she starred opposite John Wayne is one of the great films of all time, and you are coming to Buda 2016, stop on your way from Connemarra and take a wee detour to see the "Quiet Man" bridge.  Do what you wish when there, but I will be closing my eyes, thinking of the Duke and Maureen, and wiping away the tears.......

+1
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2015, 02:42:58 AM »
Somewhat OT, but .......

That same Clifden - Westport drive is one of the most beautiful in Ireland. It also takes you past the ford at Leenane which was the setting for The Field starring Richard Harris. I think Robin's suggestion of starting in Connemara on the Thursday is a fine one.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2015, 08:11:10 AM »
Somewhat OT, but .......

+1

Only a non-Irish person could love that film  :) :D  Begorra and bejaysus!!

Niall C

« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »
Quite. The Irish Brigadoon.

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »
Perhaps we can rename the teams

The Quiet American(s) vs. The Quiet Men?

(It though it was fairly harmless, but a classic? Noooooooooooooo)

The Solid Man
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_Muldoon

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2015, 09:45:08 AM »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »
Having seen only the final sequence of "The Quiet Man" (where John Wayne drags Maureen O'Hara through the town to return her to her father -- I think), I was planning to watch the entire film prior to my trip to Ireland next August. After reading these comments, however, it seems I'd be as well served by watching "Darby O'Gill and the Little People." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFN-y5AB6fs

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2015, 11:50:15 AM »
not the spotty man?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._L._Wisty

Adam never seen that, though he did revive the Character in sketches. I have to say that when I was a teenager point 3 remained a pipedream.

Of course as my friend likes to relate, Damon Runyon worshipped the altar of  Miss Sarah Muldoon and in the Great Gatsby, Muldoon...blah..blah..

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2015, 11:51:43 AM »
err actually I wanted to congratulate Ally,

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Five-year-redevelopment-aims-to-transform-Strandhill-links/3513/Default.aspx#.VjeTbrfhCUl

Would love to play the new bunkers on the Tuesday following. Look forward to hearing all about it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2015, 08:38:12 PM »
Having seen only the final sequence of "The Quiet Man" (where John Wayne drags Maureen O'Hara through the town to return her to her father -- I think), I was planning to watch the entire film prior to my trip to Ireland next August. After reading these comments, however, it seems I'd be as well served by watching "Darby O'Gill and the Little People." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFN-y5AB6fs

And I guess "Brigadoon" before a visit to Dornoch?  😀

Rich Goodale

« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2015, 10:58:59 PM »
I fully confess to being a complete softie in regards to movies such as Quiet Man, Brigadoon, Titanic, Wonderful Life, Local Hero, etc. etc. ad infinitum.  Coleridge called this a "willing suspension of disbelief," and as far as I am concerned this is an affirmation of humanity rather than a weakness.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Sean_A

« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2015, 03:30:56 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDvui6x3Z8  go to 1:50ish...very apt for Carne!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »
Take 2 minutes out to watch this stunning aerial tour of Carne.

All this to look forward to in BUDA 2016.

https://vimeo.com/141978165

2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Eric Smith

« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »

"Tears in his eyes I guess". Damn, that is a gorgeous place.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »

Wonderful. Well highlighted Robin. Anticipation set at 11 on the Spinal Tap scale! :)
Atb

Paul Gray

« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2015, 03:11:27 PM »

Wonderful. Well highlighted Robin. Anticipation set at 11 on the Spinal Tap scale! :)
Atb

At least one person then did understand the "11 is one louder" reference in a recent thread then!  ;D

Carne has made me seriously tempted to get on board. Unfortunately though contract work means I can't commit. I have to make hay when the sun shines. If an opportunity presents itself though, I'd love to be involved.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2015, 07:07:35 AM »
Paul

The volume on BBC's iplayer has a max of 11. I'm sure that's intentional.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back