News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Done and dusted
« on: September 12, 2015, 07:55:55 AM »
The BUDA Cup 2016 shall be played over the magnificent Irish links courses of Carne and Enniscrone. Ally McIntosh and I (as Carne members) shall be your joint hosts this time. Ally has managed to negotiate a truly fantastic deal at both Carne and Enniscrone, with both far less than the walk up green fee rate. It might take a bit of effort to get there but once you make it the value shall be tremendous. We hope that you shall join us in the wilds of the west of Ireland between Friday September 2 and Monday September 5 2016. Yes, this shall be a weekend BUDA!

Ally's status as the designer of the spectacular Kilmore Course at Carne is also a first for a BUDA Cup, with the architect serving as a playing host. Ally hopes to be able to arrange Sunday play over the rarely set up Composite Course, which presents the best of Carne in the optimum sequence. Ally shall also be setting the hole locations for us, so we may have some fun assisting him with that.

The emphasis shall be on a relaxing and fun schedule, with little travelling required once you get to Belmullet. It is only 5 minutes from Belmullet Town to Carne Links. It is worth setting some time aside to explore the stunning Mullet peninsula, though we will forgive you if you prefer to spend every waking minute on the unforgettable Carne Links.

For those concerned with rankings, Carne was at 44 and Enniscrone 69 on the last Golf World Top 100 GB&I list. Personally, I find it hard to put that much distance between them.

Please reserve your place on the tour either through the open forum or via PM to me. We shall aim for a full compliment of 24, but can probably add a few more on if the demand is there. We hope that some of our Irish colleagues shall join us for their first 'home' match.

The confirmed details and itinerary are as follows:

Golf

Friday September 2: Mulranny Golf Course
pm: Informal "roll-up" game over this beautiful and unheralded 9-hole links. Situated on the stunning coastal road between Westport and Belmullet, Mulranny gained the attention of Tom Doak in the new Confidential Guide, earning a '5' on the Doak scale. Not bad for a village course. The course was badly damaged during winter storms a couple of years ago and we promised the club that we would endeavour to bring a group to visit the course when the BUDA Cup came to Carne. I don't know what the green fee is, but we shall all pay the going rate. Ally and I shall be there during the afternoon and hope that you will make the effort to play on your way to Belmullet. You won't regret it.

Mulranny Links

Saturday September 3 : Carne Golf Links
10:12-10:52am: 18 holes (Greensomes) - Hackett (1-18)
Bar lunch in the clubhouse
From 15:30pm 9 holes (4BBB) - Kilmore (19-27): EXTEND TO 18 HOLES IF YOU WISH
€50 for unlimited play
http://www.carnegolflinks.com/
Evening: Dinner in the Carne clubhouse.
A bus will be provided to take us back to the hotel at 10:30pm.

Carne Hackett Hole 3

Carne Hackett Hole 9

Sunday September 4: Carne Golf Links
Bus to course at 08:00
08:44 - 09:24am: 18 holes (4BBB) - Hackett 10-18 and Kilmore 9
Sunday roast lunch in the clubhouse
From 14:30pm: 9 holes (4BBB) - Hackett (1-9) - EXTEND TO 18 HOLES IF YOU WISH
€50 for unlimited play
Evening: Dinner in the Phoenix Chinese restaurant in Belmullet

Carne Hackett Hole 13

8th green on the Kilmore

Monday September 5: Enniscrone Golf Links
Check out of hotel and transfer to Enniscrone (1hr 10 mins, 47 miles)
10:36 - 11:24: 9 holes - Scurmore Course (4-ball Texas Scramble)
Lunch in clubhouse
14:36 - 15:24: 18 holes - Dunes Course (Singles) - played in fourballs
€65 (for the 27-hole day)
Overnight: Enniscrone or onward travel
http://www.enniscronegolf.com/

Enniscrone 13

Enniscrone 16

The default playing itinerary at Carne shall be 27 holes each day rather than the traditional 36. This is in recognition of the fact that Carne is a tough walk and let's face it, none of us is getting any younger! Also, given that Carne is giving us access to its course on the weekend, we have to fit in around club competitions, so won't necessarily have early tee times. However, along with the exceptionally good deal we have on the green fee, we also have unlimited play each day, so anyone who wishes to play an 18-hole match in the afternoon is free to do so, provided they can find a willing partner and two willing opponents. The sun doesn't set until 20:30, so there is plenty of time to fill your boots if that is what you want to do.

Enniscrone is a fine accompaniment to Carne and no golf trip to this part of Ireland is complete without a round here. Eddie Hackett also laid out this superb links, but a dramatic extension into the dunes designed by Mackenzie and Ebert is what really sets Enniscrone up as a first class links. It's a more manicured links than Carne and the greens are first rate and very undulating.

Green Fee Payment Arrangements

Neither Carne or Enniscrone require us to pay a deposit to secure the booking, so we shall NOT be asking you for a deposit to secure your spot in the BUDA Cup 2016. You shall bring CASH (Euros) and pay Tony Muldoon BEFORE you play. No pay, no play! Please do not pay green fees directly to the clubs. Tony will act as treasurer.

It is worth highlighting that the total green fee for these 4 days will be less than €200/$225/£145, making this one of the most affordable BUDA Cups ever.

Accommodation

We have 18 places reserved in the Talbot Hotel, Belmullet (6 sharing & 6 singles) for 3 nights (Friday through Sunday). Ally and I have already bagged a couple of singles! These are available on a first come, first served basis. The booking is made in the name of 'Golf Club Atlas', so when you contact them to book a room, please say you are part of this group AND also let me know, so that I can draw down the list.

Room rates are: (for 3 nights B&B)
€205 per person sharing
€265 single

The Talbot is a great little 4 star boutique hotel, right in the middle of Belmullet. It has beautiful rooms and has a popular local bar downstairs. The rooms are set well away from the bar, so are nice and quiet. We recommend it highly.
http://www.thetalbothotel.ie/

The other main hotel in Belmullet is the Broadhaven Bay (http://www.broadhavenbay.com/). This is also a fine hotel, with good leisure facilities and 88 rooms, so should easily accommodate any overspill from the Talbot. Walkable from Belmullet town centre.

Numerous B&B and self catering options also exist, which can be found via the useful link on the 'Visitors' page of the Carne website.

For Enniscrone, Ally recommends The Ocean Sands.
http://www.theoceansandshotel.ie/

If you prefer your hotels more Eastern bloc, there is the Diamond Coast. Just don't let them give you a room above the disco like I had. Soundproofing not a strong point.
http://www.diamondcoast.ie/

The following hotel is well liked by Rory Connaughton and is a bit more chic:
http://waterfronthouse.ie/

Plus other B&B options via the usual outlets.

Getting There:

If you are flying directly to the BUDA from the UK, then the best option is to fly to Knock and rent a car. Flights are cheap if you book far enough in advance and you can get there from various airports around the UK. Full details of the scheduled flights into Knock can be found here: http://www.irelandwestairport.com/

I have travelled to Carne by this route on several occasions and it is fairly stress free. There are the usual car rental desks and it is about a 90 minute drive directly to Belmullet (68 miles). To Mulranny is a little over 1 hour, plus a further 1 hour from Mulranny to Belmullet (a total of 79 miles). So, you only have an 11 mile diversion to fit in a game at Mulranny!

If you coming directly from the USA then I believe either Shannon or Dublin shall be your port of call.

Shannon to Belmullet is 141 miles (3-4 hours)
Dublin to Belmullet is 186 miles (4 hours)

Further Reading

The internet and GCA are awash with threads and posts on the delights of Carne and Enniscrone. You all know how to find what you want on this site so I don't need to hold your hand here.

I was inspired to join Carne through reading about it in Richard Phinney & Scott Whitley's book 'Links of Heaven'. It painted such a vivid picture of this wild, magnificent links at the very edge of Europe and the incredible endeavours of the determined locals to build it against all odds, that I just had to seek it out. Your appreciation of Carne will be enhanced dramatically when you understand its incredible genesis.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/books/dp/1845132270

You MUST also read John Garrity's book, 'Ancestral Links', chronicling his summer in Belmullet and his quest to birdie the 17th hole...just the once! You will meet the people in the book and visit the places he visits.
http://www.johngarrityonline.com/links.html

So, this is what we have in store. We look forward to seeing you there.

Confirmed Cast List (as of August 26 2016):

GB&I, Europe, ROW...whatever you like
James Boon
Niall Carlton
Thomas Dai
Bill Thomas (Dai son)
Conrad Gamble
Josie Goodale
Chris Hansom
Robin Hiseman
Clyde Johnson (Enniscrone pm only)
Ally McIntosh (Carne only)
Kevin Markham (Sat pm and Sunday)
Ulrich Mayring
Tony Muldoon
Mark Pearce (Enniscrone pm only)

USA & Canada
Garland Bayley
Jon Byron
RJ Daley
Lou Duran
Rich Goodale
Bryan Izatt
Jerry Kluger
Barbara Lundgren
John Mayhugh
Rick Shefchik
Mike Whitaker
Steve Wilson

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:03:36 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

James Boon

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone (Ireland)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »
Robin,

I'm looking forward to seeing what you and Ally come up with, but regardless to say I've made sure the early part of September is clear and I will be there! Hope the organisation is a smooth ride, as I know from recent experience it can be tricky at times. Good luck!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 12:55:31 AM »
I'll be there as well. Never been to that part of Ireland.

Maybe I'll be able to convince Wardo to put together another "Excellent Adventure." My wife will want me to meet her for work in London later in September, so I'll probably be up for an extended tour.

Irish eyes are smiling!  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 01:05:51 AM »
I've been planning to attend since Cornwall.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 05:29:24 PM »
Serious question for prospective attendees with golfing wives who might be interested in bringing along that spouse:   Would you be interested in doing that?   I've been planning to take Kathleen to Ireland for years and this seems like a great opportunity.  We will most likely spend a few days in Dublin and then head off to Carne.  I just want to be sure Kathleen has someone to play with while the boys are playing on the Buda days.

Ally is pretty sure the ladies of Carne and Enniscrone would be hospitable, and will talk to the ladies captain.

Please let me know by PM.

Thanks,
Bill

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 11:07:27 PM »
I am interested since my hand healed and I have resumed golfing.
I would want to explore some low profile Donegal courses for sure!
AKA Mayday

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 11:25:32 PM »
While I haven't even left for my first trip to Ireland coming up next week, I am already coming to understand how short two weeks there will go.  I am already 'contemplating' making this trip to the Buda Cup next year because I just don't have the time to get to that quadrant of the Isle along with a venture into N.I. on this go-around.

Wild Bill, haven't we talked about that sort of couples trip before!   ;D See PM...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Robin_Hiseman

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Full Details Posted!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 06:42:57 PM »
Full details of BUDA 2016 posted in the original thread.

Bookings now being accepted.

First come...first served!
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 11:19:34 PM »
Robin - just to confirm, I am absolutely in for the 2016 Buda. I'll PM you once I book my hotel room.

Thank you for making this happen!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 12:40:41 AM »
I am going to begin to wheedle some of my local golf friends to consider accompanying me on that trip next year.  I hope to impress them with some photos and video of what I hope the upcoming few weeks yield.   ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 01:00:28 AM »
I am in, thanks. 

Michael Graham

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 03:49:58 AM »
I'm in. I'm just back from a wedding in Enniscrone. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to squeeze a round in during our stay but did get to walk the course. It looks fantastic.

Robin,

Many thanks for you and Ally's efforts in getting this organised. I'll send a PM once I've booked my hotel.

Michael

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 04:19:13 AM »
Great stuff so looking forward to this.

Robin I have reserved a single room.

Time to start planning. This gives a good illustration of where the best known courses are.
http://www.golfadventureguides.com/IrelandGolfSat/

As we are pretty much all traveling this time I hope there’s lots of pre and post Buda games.  One can try and see The Big Five –Portmarnock, Ballybunioni, Lahinch,  Portrush and RCD – but that involves a lot of rushing about and means you will only see the Golf.  Or more realistically make a choice

From Enniscrone you either turn:
 left (North) and see the lesser known delights of Donegal (don't miss Strandhill near Enniscrone/Rosses Point), perhaps heading for Ulster and Belfast airport.
or
right (south) and visit the spectacular and well known highlights of Clare and Kerry and  then Shannon Airport.

I had hoped to stay for the week but it's possible I can only add one more day, tbc.
At the moment the plan is play an afternoon (2nd) round at Enniscrone on the Monday and Strandhill or Rosses Point on the Tuesday AM.  Interesting to see who is about.
Here’s a map link to GCA reviews (please state if there’s any missed that could be added)
http://golfclubatlas.com/best-of-golf/gca-fusion-tables/ 

A no of those can be seen in Sean’s reviews here.
http://golfclubatlas.com/best-of-golf/sean-arbles-united-kingdom-course-tours-2/

Enjoy. See you in Mulranny.

PS there's a big modern hotel next to the Golf Club at Enniscrone but I can recommend Waterfront House Hotel.  To sit and eat looking down on the perfect beach is a fond memory indeed.  :+353 96 37120
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 06:00:52 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 04:38:35 AM »
Tony

Our projected finish time at Enniscrone on Monday will be after 3pm, which means those people flying out of Knock will typically not make a Monday flight and shall need to stay over at least until Tuesday. Might as well have another hit...if the feet, knees, back can take it. Enniscrone has a 9 hole course made up of Hackett's remaining original holes and Strandhill isn't so far away and is definitely worth a game.

I plan to play Connemara on the Thursday pm or Friday am, before heading up to Mulranny for mid afternoon. I hope I won't be by myself!

James Boon

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 04:59:58 AM »
Robin and Ally,

Just to confirm as per my e-mail I'm in for this and have booked a twin room at the hotel for me and Ben Stephens.

Really looking forward to this. I suspect only an Askernish Buda would have me more excited...  ;D

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:49:10 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 06:08:39 AM »
Tony

Our projected finish time at Enniscrone on Monday will be after 3pm, which means those people flying out of Knock will typically not make a Monday flight and shall need to stay over at least until Tuesday. Might as well have another hit...if the feet, knees, back can take it. Enniscrone has a 9 hole course made up of Hackett's remaining original holes and Strandhill isn't so far away and is definitely worth a game.

I plan to play Connemara on the Thursday pm or Friday am, before heading up to Mulranny for mid afternoon. I hope I won't be by myself!

Belfast International is 3.5 hrs according to the AA so that might offer an option. It's certainly my plan on the next day.
Let's make GCA grate again!

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 07:35:59 AM »
see below
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:52:00 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 07:40:03 AM »
Sounds like a great Buda.
Sadly the labor Day weekend dates have boxed me out (I gotta work sometime ::) ::)
For those that are adding time, Belfast is a simple airport and is the best for accessing NI or Donegal.

If the rest of, or some of Donegal is on your itinerary, be sure to visit Slieve League Cliffs en route (kind've ;) ) to Narin and Portnoo and Cruit.
The cliffs are THREE times the height of the cliffs of Moher and well worth the visit-especially since it's free ;D .
There is a parking lot (long walk up) or a gate through which you can drive to the top-dicey drive but well recommended.
Additionally there are multiple great drives along the wild Atlantic way to Malin Head, Horn Head and other scenic destinations-generally quite close to golf.
Dunfanaghy is a massively underated golf course in my opinion- in fact I would argue that the flattish links holes compliment the highlight holes-which are spectacular.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Mayhugh

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 08:22:50 AM »
Thanks for the detailed update and all of the organizing!

Count me in.  I've booked a single room at the Talbot.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 11:56:23 AM »
The Talbot filling fast. Just one of the original eight singles left. 5 twins available.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 11:59:21 AM »
In and hotel rooms booked.

I fully endorse what Jeff says about the county of Donegal. N&P, Cruit and Dunfanaghy to name three are all well worth playing and if the Slieve League cliffs are more spectacular than those at Horn Head (close by Dunfanaghy) they must be amazing.

By the way, be aware that if you are planning on hiring a car at Belfast Airport they are now charging a few more £ if you are going into the Republic.

Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »
Thomas-good point about the extra charge  (25 pounds extra for going into Republic-per rental-not per day)
Chase Rewards card eliminates the need for buying Insurance for collision etc. -only card I know of that covers excluded countries-Ireland, Jamaica, and Israel

Rich Goodale

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
Josie and I are AOK with this schedule, plesae sign us up.  J can play with the boys or the girls (she had a 3 on the 7th at Dornoch yesterday.....).
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 10:26:02 AM »
In and Talbot Hotel booked for my wife Kathleen and me. 

JJShanley

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 12:22:43 PM »
Strandhill is worth a wee detour if you have an extra day. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back