News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Way

Re: Your Favorite Greens in Chicago
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2015, 10:02:35 PM »
Thanks much for sharing those pictures and details Aaron.  I need to get out there and see it (and the rest of the top picks here) first hand.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jason Way

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2015, 10:26:35 PM »
Got my mitts on two shots from Old Elm.

#6 green with #17 behind. There is now a gorgeous closely mown swale between the two.

#15 which is now a considerably cooler Colt-ish island than it was back in my caddie days.

"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

JC Jones

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2015, 11:18:08 PM »
Any mention of Chicago GC without including the 2nd hole is criminal.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Dan Moore

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2015, 02:38:44 PM »
To attempt to answer a few questions asked on this thread.

The 12th at Skokie is an original Langford hole that was added in the late 30's.  Whether the green is original I don't know.

With respect to 16 at Ravisloe I too think it is an old green (Foulis, Watson, White??) built on the original grade that Ross didn't change.  I'd say #2 is an original as well. 

I also think the 3rd at Flossmoor is a fantastic green, however it probably worked better when is was on the receiving end of a par 5 instead of the par 4 that it is today.  Just a tad too severe for a hole approached with a long iron or hybrid but what a challenge with a short iron.  Heck most people are approaching with a short club anyway!
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Neil Johnston

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2015, 04:33:17 PM »
Since we are planning an outing there, I will nominate a couple of the greens at Prospect. Not in the same league as many mentioned, but I think they are a lot of fun.

The new 9th green (and there is a photo on the renovation page) is beguiling, and my favorite out there. The hole itself usually plays in the 320-340 yard range, so you're thinking birdie on the tee box. But once on the green, the pin typically will sit on a little pedestal, where you are rewarded with a flat putt if you can stop your ball there. If you end up anywhere else, any par will be well earned as there will be a lot of undulation to deal with. It's a great green for a hole of this length, and will usually determine if I order a Jameson or a Gatorade at the halfway house.

The other choice for me is the mid-range par 4 13th, where again pin placement really dictates your plan of attack. The large mound which divides the front and the back of the green will often result in a semi-blind approach shot, and hesitation to end up short, leaving a circus putt up the hills (or a chip shot picked clean, if your name is Mickelson).

Look forward to getting out there with a few of you

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2015, 12:51:29 AM »
Got my mitts on two shots from Old Elm.

#6 green with #17 behind. There is now a gorgeous closely mown swale between the two.

#15 which is now a considerably cooler Colt-ish island than it was back in my caddie days.

Jason:

Here's a few more shots of these three fantastic greens.

6&17:

15:

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jason Way

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2015, 10:48:04 AM »
Fantastic shots Jon, as always.  That 6/17 green combo is just too damn sexy now.

Any good shots of the 4th green?

Jason Way

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2015, 10:53:32 AM »
Here is the pick of MPGC #9 that Neil described.  Very cool looking:

The 18th looks solid as well:

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »
Fantastic shots Jon, as always.  That 6/17 green combo is just too damn sexy now.

Any good shots of the 4th green?

Per your request.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:14:56 PM by Jon Cavalier »
Golf Photos via

John McCarthy

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2015, 08:39:54 PM »
Anyone ever play the 16th at Blackstone in Marengo?  Most of the greens at Blackstone are really, really good.  4th is a double platteau, 2d is a really good redan...but the damn course is a really hard walk.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Drew Groeger

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2015, 03:27:13 PM »
Here's one from a 9-hole muni, the triple-tiered green at the 104 yard par 3 8th hole at Robert A. Black Golf Course is a lot of fun to play. Leaving your tee shot on a tier where the pin isn't makes for some exciting putts.

Jason Way

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2015, 12:19:13 AM »
Good on ya for throwing a little muni love into the mix Drew.  That green looks gloriously quirky.

Working on digging up a few more photos of other greens that have been mentioned previously.  Keep the picks and pics coming folks.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2015, 11:44:31 AM »
Here are some photos of my favorite greens at Shoreacres:

Second hole:

Third hole:

Sixth hole:

Tenth hole:

Twelfth hole:

Thirteenth hole:

Fourteenth hole:

Eighteenth hole:

Golf Photos via

Terry Lavin

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2015, 09:31:34 PM »
Shivas,

Where are the photos of #8 at Exmoor?  Clearly one of the best shortie greens in town.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jason Way

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2015, 10:09:54 PM »

There was an outing today that a few GCA were at. Maybe they have pictures.  I don't take pictures while playing.

If one Dan Moore made it to that outing today, there should be a few pics forthcoming, eh?

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2015, 07:26:14 AM »
Just played Ravisloe again for the first time this year - what a terrific set of greens. I love the third, in particular.

I also agree with everything above about Shoreacres as well. It is the best set of greens i've played in Chicagoland. (Massive caveat, I've still not played Chicago GC!)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2015, 09:29:55 AM »
Shortie?  That hole is 205 from the blacks, significantly uphill, often into a lake breeze, through a chute that's maybe 15 yards wide at its apex. 

Normal tees are in the 170 range. 

There was an outing today that a few GCA were at. Maybe they have pictures.  I don't take pictures while playing.

That was typed after a couple glasses of Sancerre.  By shortie, I meant a par three.  Love that hole.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2015, 12:31:06 PM »
I'll toss in the 16th at Glenwoodie, a tilted green at the end of a hard par-4. Easy to putt off the front and have a 30-yard chip/pitch/prayer coming back.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jud_T

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »
Jon,

I love Shoreacres more than most here, but the Biarritz is IMO one of the weaker examples of the type and isn't even the best example in town.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2015, 02:58:28 PM »
Jon,

I love Shoreacres more than most here, but the Biarritz is IMO one of the weaker examples of the type and isn't even the best example in town.

Jud:

It's certainly a far cry from the best Biarritz in town. Doesn't mean it's not a cool green. The Shoreacres Redan pales in comparison to 6 at CGC as well - but it's still a pretty neat hole, in my opinion.

Jon
Golf Photos via

SL_Solow

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2015, 05:00:51 PM »
Let me throw in a few from courses that have not been mentioned.  I am quite fond of #6 at Idlewild, although it has been allowed to shrink some over the years.  Amid range downhill par three that combines  a punch bowl section with a ramp up to a plateau.  * is a large green with some wonderful undulations, probably Langford and Moreau. 10 is a short par 4 to a small elevated green but the green has some great movement given its size.  at Briarwood, 9 is a terrific front to back green on a longish 4 with some terrific internal movement.  well trapped.  14 is a new green by Mark Mungeam built on the model of a reverse redan with water replacing the redan bunker.  Lots going on there that is difficult to see.

Dan Moore

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »
Guilty as Charged, though I didn't take that many and all but 2-3 were taken after playing.  Exmoor's 8th.

Yeah, there were some interesting old photos on the walls such as this old aerial.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:12:13 AM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »
I'll nominate the 5th and 9th at Cedardell in Plano IL.
Those two greens are wild.

Chris

John McCarthy

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »
I am defending my green jacket (rubberized polyester) as co-winner of Cuneen's Tavern (on Devon) outing  tomorrow at Black. 

If anyone want's in...Cuneen's is a fantastic tavern and there will be fried chicken and cookies after. 

2 is nearly a perfect reverse Redan.  8 as noted above is a really nice green.  3 also.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2015, 09:01:40 AM »
Here's one from a 9-hole muni, the triple-tiered green at the 104 yard par 3 8th hole at Robert A. Black Golf Course is a lot of fun to play. Leaving your tee shot on a tier where the pin isn't makes for some exciting putts.

I've played this hole a bunch over the years.  It's a ton of fun for the children, women and super-super seniors who hit driver 100 yards. 

Nice to see one of my first green designs get some love here.  That was the first project I was put in charge of by Killian and Nugent less than a year in from my start date.   I recall getting quite a lot of freedom, although the three tier green was one of their standards, a la, 13 at Kemper Lakes (if that still hasn't been remodeled.) 

2 used to have a gravel lake, because the water table was too high to have a real one, and it was thought it would speed play.  Don't recall much else at the moment, need to stop by.  I will say 8 was open when we built it.  All those trees were planted, as actually, we were design sub consultants to a landscape architecture firm designing the park.

One great story, if you will.  This was the old Edgewater course, home of Chick Evans.  I got to pick him up from his small apartment along the first fairway for the grand opening, one of my great memories. The combo living room/dinette/galley kitchen had a golf net and astroturf tee and he was hitting balls to warm up.  He was still pretty sharp.

When we got there, he was looking for a tree (it is or was a mature willow near the new 6 green) that he claimed he had put a golf ball a year down the hollow opening in remembrance of his mother's birthday, as she got him started.  Given we totally rerouted the course, not only to nine holes but changing froe E-W to N-S, I doubted we had saved it, but we found it.  A construction guy reached down and sure enough, pulled out dozens of old Spalding Dot golf balls from long ago.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back