News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Way

Your Favorite Greens in Chicago
« on: September 03, 2015, 11:02:43 PM »
I've had the good fortune of playing Old Elm and Chicago Golf Club recently.  I have always loved the 4th green at Old Elm, and I was particularly taken with the greens on #5 and #8 at CGC.  #9 at Onwentsia, #12 at Bryn Mawr, and #12 at Shoreacres are also mint.

A little project I am working on has me thinking about the best greens in Chicago (especially those from the Golden Age).

What are your favorites, and why?  (Don't be shy about posting photos)
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Keith OHalloran

Re: Your Favorite Greens in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 07:01:25 AM »
I have not played much golf in Chicago, but I have played Chicago GC. If there are better greens in Chicago, that would be amazing, and this thread will be a good resource for future visits.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »
I haven't played a ton either but a few pop to mind:

Beverly CC #8
Beverly CC #5
Medinah(3) #4
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:52:25 AM by Josh Tarble »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:12:37 AM »
The Double Plateau at Shoreacres - #3 I think?

Beverly #8

In really thinking about it, I don't have the biggest sample size of Chicago courses (7) but Shoreacres has, in my opinion, the best set of greens I have seen out there.

Have not played Chicago GC.

Jason Way

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:13:55 AM »

Beverly CC #8
BCC #5
Medinah(3) #4

What is BCC?
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »
I was shocked at the quality of the complete set of greens at Olympia Fields. I've only played the "Championship" course.

Jason Kang

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:50:03 AM »

[size=78%][/size]Cut into hills, aesthetically pleasing on top of being great sites[size=78%][/size]
Beverly 16
Oak Park 6

Subtle demand (request?) on proper placement into big green, fun putt
North Shore 16
Cantigny Hillside 7

Spines
Ravisloe 6 and 15

I've had the good fortune of playing Old Elm and Chicago Golf Club recently.  I have always loved the 4th green at Old Elm, and I was particularly taken with the greens on #5 and #8 at CGC.  #9 at Onwentsia, #12 at Bryn Mawr, and #12 at Shoreacres are also mint.

A little project I am working on has me thinking about the best greens in Chicago (especially those from the Golden Age).

What are your favorites, and why?  (Don't be shy about posting photos)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
In no particular order:

#9 Olympia South
#10 Olympia North
#3 Flossmoor
#5 Beverly
# 12 Bryn Mawr
#12 Medinah #3
# 11 Evanston
#12 Shoreacres
#6/17 Old Elm
#4 North Shore
#8 Butler National
#9 Bob O'Link

As a set, my top five are Chicago Golf, Flossmoor, Old Elm, Butler and Olympia South.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:53:45 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Josh Tarble

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 09:52:15 AM »

Beverly CC #8
BCC #5
Medinah(3) #4

What is BCC?

Sorry, Beverly CC. 

Josh Tarble

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 09:55:04 AM »
In no particular order:

#9 Olympia South
#10 Olympia North
#3 Flossmoor
#5 Beverly
# 12 Bryn Mawr
11 Evanston
#12 Shoreacres
#6/17 Old Elm
#4 North Shore
#8 Butler National
#9 Bob O'Link

As a set, my top five are Chicago Golf, Flossmoor, Old Elm, Butler and Olympia South.

Terry, I was trying to think of any specific green at Butler but nothing really stood out to me.  Maybe #11 or #15? As an entirety though, you are correct, they are very good. 

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »
OFCC South -

Best set of greens in town.  Flossmooor's are great, but don't rival the variety and old school contours of its neighbor.  The North course has been made fair, yet there are still a few gems, namely 4, 8, 9, 11, 13 and 18.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Nigel Islam

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 10:14:25 AM »
I thought these were pretty good off the top of my head:

Shoreacres thirteenth
OFN thirteenth
Medinah #1 twelfth
Medinah #3 twelfth

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 10:15:24 AM »
OFCC - South #7 is my favorite on the property.  Also really like #6 on OFCC - South.  As a set of greens its really tough to beat OFCC South and Flossmoor.  I really need to check out some of the others in this thread though. 

Matthew Sander

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »
In addition to some that have already been mentioned, I really liked 16th and 17th at Sunset Ridge.

How about the 11th at Beverly?

Andrew Buck

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 10:54:33 AM »
Here are some I really enjoy

6 OFCC South
13 OFCC North
13 Black Sheep
6 Ravisloe
4, 6, 7 at Bull Valley (although I'm not fond of the 6th hole)
6 at Highlands of Elgin

Although 85 miles is probably too far to be considered Chicagoland, I feel like the 8th at my home club, Deer Park Country Club in Oglesby, IL is a great green for the 175 yard par 3, even if this photo doesn't do the contours justice.

Also, deserving "downstate" consideration should be the 7th and 12th at kankakee Elks.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 11:03:38 AM »
I haven't played a ton of golf in Chicago, but I've never played a better of greens than at Chicago Golf Club. The sixth green there is incredible and might be my favorite in golf. The green on the short hole is amazing too.

Beyond that, I thought the greens at Old Elm were exceptional, and loved the 4th and the double green (6 and 17 I think), as well as 9.

Shoreacres are also outstanding as a set, and I found 3, 10, 12, 13 and 18 to be among the best of the bunch.

I've got some photos of the latter two courses and will post a few later.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Chris DeToro

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
As a set, I'd have to go with the greens at Flossmoor.  I haven't played a ton around Chicago, but I would put those greens up against any I've played on the East coast.  They're sneakily difficult to read and gauge speed

Michael George

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 11:42:35 AM »

Terry:

Are you being modest re: Beverly?  You would think that authentic Ross greens would be in the top 5?

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Matthew Sander

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 12:16:01 PM »
As a set, I'd have to go with the greens at Flossmoor.  I haven't played a ton around Chicago, but I would put those greens up against any I've played on the East coast.  They're sneakily difficult to read and gauge speed

As a group, they are fantastic. They all have sneaky tilt, and not always back to front. Terry mentioned the 3rd, and it is terrific. Hitting an uphill shot to that exposed green is treacherous. Balls seem to pick up steam while going uphill! I really like the 10th green as well.

Nathan Perry

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 02:12:54 PM »
Has anyone seen Esler's work a Mt. Prospect yet? I played there a few weeks ago and thought it was fantastic. I'm not willing to say among the best in Chicago, but they very well could be the best of all the public offerings. If you haven't checked it out yet, the course is well worth a play and the greens worth a mention on this thread. I am eager play it again.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »
Has anyone seen Esler's work a Mt. Prospect yet? I played there a few weeks ago and thought it was fantastic. I'm not willing to say among the best in Chicago, but they very well could be the best of all the public offerings. If you haven't checked it out yet, the course is well worth a play and the greens worth a mention on this thread. I am eager play it again.

More reason to have a little GCA get-together in the next month or so. I'm happy to take the reins and set something up...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:48:47 PM by Matthew Sander »

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »
I'm surprised the greens on Medinah #1 haven't had more chatter.  As a set I think they are fairly strong.  I particularly like the #6 green.  I also like the short par four #13 green which has a lot of strategy to it.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 02:44:57 PM »

More reason to have a little GCA get-together on the next month or so. I'm happy to take the reins and set something up...

Great idea.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matthew Sander

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 02:48:25 PM »
I'm surprised the greens on Medinah #1 haven't had more chatter.  As a set I think they are fairly strong.  I particularly like the #6 green.  I also like the short par four #13 green which has a lot of strategy to it.

There are certainly some candidates there, but with no photos I'll have to check the scorecard to jog my memory. #13 does stand out though...

Jud_T

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 04:02:23 PM »
The 16th at the Rav deserves a mention.  When firmed up one of the classic Ross' in town.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:07:20 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back