News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Jones

A Long Island Question
« on: September 02, 2015, 05:21:08 PM »
I am looking for a little advice.  I have a trip to Long Island planned.  We were due to play NGLA but it will be closed the week we are there so are looking to add another course.  We are looking for a great experience on a special course.  Shortlist is Sebonack, Maidstone, Garden City, Bethpage Black or going up to Winged Foot but more than happy to hear other suggestions.  We are all OK golfers but don't want to be too beaten up (which may negate the Black option).

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:10:46 PM by David Jones »

Jason Way

Re: A Long Island Question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:39:05 PM »
If you don't want to be beaten up, definitely take Bethpage Black off your list.  In its place, I would suggest Piping Rock.  Beautiful course, and visiting the club is like stepping into a scene from The Great Gatsby.  It's awesome.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 07:14:37 PM »
If you don't want to be beaten up, why were Winged Foot and Sebonack on your list, too?  Shinnecock will leave enough bruises!

Garden City would be my recommendation, but we are doing some bunker work there this fall, so it's perhaps not the best time to visit.

Phil Young

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »
Go to Sands Point GC. It is a terrific true Tillinghast "hidden gem." You'll be able to compare it to the article about it that will appear in the fall issue of the Met Golfer magazine. It is challenging yet a pleasure to play. It is quite reminiscent of the wonderful English countryside gems.

It was restored by Keith Foster 3 years ago. Every single hole is memorable fun, so much so that there isn't even a hint of a "signature hole." After it was done Keith told me that he considers this course so much fun that he could easily see himself playing it every day and not getting tired of it.

This is also the club that Herbert Warren Wind was a member at. In fact he served on its board for a number of years. He could have been a member at any club he desired yet he chose this one. After a round played there you will definitely understand why...

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:13:19 PM »
Fishers Island should check all of your boxes. 

James Brown

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 08:18:56 PM »
Can I be dumb, clueless guy for a second and say:  How do you assume you can play all these great courses that are totally private?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 08:28:03 PM »
Can I be dumb, clueless guy for a second and say:  How do you assume you can play all these great courses that are totally private?

;D ;D

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »
James
I assume it is this David Jones:
http://www.davidjonesgolf.com/

I agree with Tom in that Garden City would be a good substitute for NGLA.
Although I'd rather walk NGLA than play almost anywhere.
Have fun.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:58:49 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »
Mike,
If you are right, he is probably good enough to play The Black!  ;D

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
If you want to have fun and experience a really cool place, go to Garden City, assuming you know a member. Just ensure you spend sufficient time in the clubhouse. Its like stepping back in time.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Dean Stokes

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 09:42:59 PM »
Having had the good fortune to play Maidstone a few weeks ago and you prefer not to get "beat up" I would try to get yourselves on there. Great renovation of the bunkering, not too long, fabulous location and views.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

David Jones

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 04:17:00 AM »
Many thanks for the replies.  Alas I am not that David Jones golf but am fortunate to have a couple of friends who are able to help me out.  To say I am slightly gutted about NGLA would be an understatement but hopefully it means another trip!

Will let you know how it pans out, so many great looking options............

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 06:46:58 AM »
David,
Out of curiosity, what are your friends recommending? Seems like you have friends with access to all these courses, I am wondering if their thoughts are the same as GCA? Or if GCA has not given you anything your friends had not?

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 01:40:24 PM »
Soap box moment-  none of these courses will beat you up if you play them UP.   Why everybody wants to go to the back tees when they get to Shinnecock or Oakmont or whatever....so they can walk in the footsteps of legends or whatever.....go up and have some fun!  They are all fun from short yardage. 

David Jones

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 05:16:55 PM »
Thanks again for the replies.  Your advice Jeff is great.  I have a 6,500 yard rule often invoked with my mates that we play the tees under that whatever they are called. (I am a 14 handicap).  On the occasion I give in and go higher it's always a mistake!

Keith, my friends are hoping through contacts that we can add another great course to the trip and they have said that hopefully those mentioned are possible but they were most complimentary about a similar list to those mentioned here, although Sands Point is one I have added to the 'let's see if it's possible'.  Will let you know where we end up!

John Percival

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 06:19:13 PM »
If ur staying on LI, then WF would be a major hump, especially in a morning commute.
Since ur contacts seem so good, how bout Friars Head?

BCowan

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 07:24:29 PM »
Play goat hill on shelter island

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »
Play goat hill on shelter island

That's Shelter Island CC.
Gotta have pull to get on there.
They're hosting a major in 3 weeks
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »
All are great suggestions, but logistics are huge.  Just getting from East Hampton to Bethpage could be several hours depending on traffic.  All that being said, I think Bethpage Black is great.  Play forward, enjoy the walk, the locals, and the amazing terrain and vast bunkering.  It would be a great contrast from the ultra private clubs, and in my gut, just felt right. 

Mike Schott

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 02:06:15 PM »
Fishers Island should check all of your boxes.

From what I've read here and other places, this would be my choice. The atmosphere at Fisher's Island seems to be magical and the course from the pictures I've seen is a dream.

David Jones

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 04:29:32 AM »
Thanks again all. We are just there for three days so I think playing relatively close by is the best options.  We are flying back from JFK so Bethpage en route could work as it's en evening flight.  Would love to see Fishers Island but I don't think the logistics are easy for that one.

Again, appreciate the comments and help.

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 08:45:53 AM »
Getting on the Black is more difficult and time consuming than many of the clubs mentioned.
id say access is the issue and if you have it Im not sure why suggestions are needed.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back