News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Sato

What major city does not have a great golf course?
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
Off the top of my head, Reno, San Diego, Miami, Boise, Albuquerque, Kansas City?

I'll qualify it by a course listed in a Top 100 list if that helps. 

Major city meaning at least 200,000 and a major airport.

Brett Wiesley

Re: What major city does not have a great golf course?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »
Salt Lake City!

archie_struthers

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:52:06 PM »
 8) :o :o

Indian Creek ......Miami
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:51:43 AM by archie_struthers »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
Washington DC has a fair number of very good courses and one that has hosted many national championships, but for the nation's capital the quality of courses pales in comparison to other north east cities.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
It should over 200,000?  Bakersfield has 350,000 and an airport. 

With that said, Reno Nevada is bleak for golf. 

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 10:07:41 PM »
Nashville

Raleigh-Durham (assuming Pinehurst isn't part of it)

Cleveland (if Top 100 is the qualifier)

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 10:19:28 PM »
You don't have to be top 100 to be a great course...and Cleveland has a few nice Classics:  Pepper Pike (Flynn), Lakewood (Tilly), Cantebury (Herbert Strong) to name a few.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 10:21:01 PM »
Cleveland is an under rated city for golf. Lots of good places.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 10:29:34 PM »
Birmingham would fit as would Orlando

J_ Crisham

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »
Cleveland is an under rated city for golf. Lots of good places.
+1.  Throw in Kirtland , Elyria , Shaker Heights, Sand Ridge- very respectable . Canterbury is very good- a course you could play everyday- very sporty.

Frank M

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 10:32:21 PM »
I wouldn't include Cleveland...they are so many great courses within 30 minutes. One of my favorite cities for golf actually.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 10:37:54 PM »
Orlando.

jim_lewis

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 10:40:40 PM »
New Orleans

Birmingham has Shoal Creek
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

BHoover

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 10:43:34 PM »
San Juan

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 10:47:48 PM »
Jim

I was going to respond "Everywhere in Louisiana" except that I like Metarie Country Club (though I would not categorize it as "Great").  Squire Creek and Bayou Desaird are both pretty good in North LA, but that's about it.

Jamey

Nigel Islam

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 11:00:05 PM »
Off the top of my head, Reno, San Diego, Miami, Boise, Albuquerque, Kansas City?

I'll qualify it by a course listed in a Top 100 list if that helps. 

Major city meaning at least 200,000 and a major airport.

Technically San Diego has Torrey Pines on the GOLF list

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 08:33:49 AM »
Uh, Anchorage...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rich Goodale

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 09:20:16 AM »
NYC, London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Boston, Philadelphia, etc. etc. etc.......

......unless suburbs count.

Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Chris Cupit

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 11:06:26 AM »
As an Atlantan I have never understood why golf, on average, is so "below average" here.  It would seem to me that the land could have produced some very interesting sites but again, Atlanta has little in terms of architectural interest.

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 11:29:01 AM »
As an Atlantan I have never understood why golf, on average, is so "below average" here.  It would seem to me that the land could have produced some very interesting sites but again, Atlanta has little in terms of architectural interest.

To me it has a lot to do with when a city was developed/grew.
Most older cities have ODG courses that have the advantages of maturity, intimacy,less housing based (the bane of Atlanta) and well....good architecture

From all I hear Chris you've certainly bucked the trend in Atlanta ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Gary Sato

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 01:39:37 PM »
NYC, London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Boston, Philadelphia, etc. etc. etc.......

......unless suburbs count.

Suburbs count, within a reasonable distance. 

Chris Cupit

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 02:33:57 PM »

Most older cities have ODG courses that have the advantages of maturity, intimacy,less housing based (the bane of Atlanta) and well....good architecture

Hah.  Very kind of you to say.   :)

To my untrained eye I see Atlanta as nicely flowing land with countless locations full of mature, deciduous trees, creeks, streams, rolling land...

Too many courses here are simply real estate "lot enhancers" but even the core courses here don't compare to courses I have been  fortunate to play up North.  The entire scale and "feel" of golf up north just seems different.  I like pretty much everything else about my South, but for great golf courses we have to travel  :o

Nigel Islam

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 02:47:09 PM »

To my untrained eye I see Atlanta as nicely flowing land with countless locations full of mature, deciduous trees, creeks, streams, rolling land...

Too many courses here are simply real estate "lot enhancers" but even the core courses here don't compare to courses I have been  fortunate to play up North.  The entire scale and "feel" of golf up north just seems different.  I like pretty much everything else about my South, but for great golf courses we have to travel  :o

Chris,

Atlanta has a few courses going for it. Peachtree is one of the best in the world!

Chris Cupit

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 03:24:52 PM »

Chris,

Atlanta has a few courses going for it. Peachtree is one of the best in the world!

Nigel,

I too love Peachtree and it is my choice for best day of golf in Atlanta for sure.  The first hole is one of the best openers in golf.  The superintendent there is a friend of mine, William Shirley--he was at my club many years ago before he became famous  ;D  and his daughter Maragaret is the current US Mid-AM Women's champ. 

William has Peachtree has one of the finest conditioned courses I've ever played.  He has firm, fast bent and the zoysia fairway/bermuda rough contrast is simply awesome.

Anyway, while I love Peachtree I could not vote it one of the best "in the world" if by that you mean top 25 of all golf courses in the world.  The routing is excellent, it is a great walk in the park, the "experience" is near perfect, but there are too many similar blind, uphill shots for my taste.  Holes 8 and 9 parrot 17 and 18 a bit too much for me and are all part of that uphill, blind approach that I think is a tad overdone. 

Par threes are very good though 11 is a tad plain for my taste.
Par fives are OK.  #2 has a unique green, #5 is a bit awkward off the tee, #10 is fun but the approach is kind of bland.  #16 is very good.

Again--lots of uphill shots to greens that have a lot of "blindness":

#3, #5, #8, #9, #10, (even #11 a little), #16, #17 and #18

Don't get me wrong, Peachtree is awesome but despite my fondness for it, I just could not put it among the "best in the world" if all we are talking about are the golf holes.  As a golf club and taking the entire experience in toto, then yes, I would certainly vote it "world class"  ;D

DFarron

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2015, 03:43:41 PM »
I wouldn't include Cleveland...they are so many great courses within 30 minutes. One of my favorite cities for golf actually.

Me too..if you count within 30 minutes you can include the finest course in NE Ohio, Brookside, Firestone and The Congress Lake Club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back