News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Kelly

Tom Simpson's Hayling Golf Club
« on: August 28, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »
A quick tour of Hayling GC which seems to fly under the radar but I think there is definitely a case for it getting abit more love. I didn’t take many photos so it’s only a brief tour but I think they give you a decent idea of the terrain.

As far as I understand it the original course was a Tom Dunn design which was then drastically redesigned by Tom Simpson after WW2 into the course we see today bar a few small changes here and there. There are a number of fairly obvious Simpson features including approach bunkers hiding dead ground short of greens, semi-obscured fairways/landing areas and a great set of understated yet fun greens.

Onto the course;

1 -The clubhouse is set at the far east of the site with the first and last few holes playing over the flattest ground on the way out to the larger dunes at the western end of the course. The 1st is a mid-length par three playing along the aforementioned flat ground with the first of the obvious deceiving Simpson bunkers hiding the front of the green and making judging the distance to the pin awkward.

2 -The short par 5 second runs out away from the clubhouse towards the beach side of the property, a solid hole that I didn’t see much of due to my golf swing….

3 -The 3rd is a tempting glimpse into the dunes you will soon encounter. A semi-blind drive through and over the dunes starts a hole that turns right and slightly up to a perched green protected by a lone bunker at the front left.

4 -We then head back towards the clubhouse onto the flat ground again. The drive is cape-esque with the left fairway line obscured to make judging the line difficult, another common Simpson trick. Ideally you want to be up this left side to attack the green which is protected by a nasty bunker front right.

5 -The short par 3 5th is the start of a great run of holes. A narrow raised green is protected by a lone pot bunker at its front left where the prevailing wind blows from. It’s a common theme at Hayling with a host of bunkers guarding that side (3, 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, 14A, 15, 17 & 18) meaning the ability to shape your ball into the wind is a valuable asset. It appears extremely tough to hit the green at 5 and missing it could lead to some back and forth action. You could maybe draw comparisons to the 2nd at Dornoch and Troon’s Postage Stamp, lofty praise.

6 -The 6th is a storming par 4 playing down a slightly hogs back fairway, another common theme before approaching over the remnants of a large man-made water inlet. The area to the left of the fairway was one of the best exmaples of a vast expanse of heather on the course which felt like a great and maybe unique addition to the usual links flora. The long green also showcases another Hayling theme, of being set within a slight gully. Possibly a technique used to help the green hold some water in years gone by?

7 -The par 5 7th is protected by a both a fantastic green and an imposing WW2 pillbox on the inside of the dogleg! The green has a raised back tier angled from the right very reminiscent of Liphook’s 5th where Simpson was a member but on a slightly larger and more forgiving scale. I’m sure it could still bite you though.

8 -This was where I finally got around to getting my camera out as the course and weather really warmed up. A short four palyed to an island fairway before heading up and over some of the biggest dunes on the course to the green. The further right you go from the tee risking the wrath of a dangerous pot bunker, the better the view to the flag. Too far right and you’ll miss the fairway and be left with a blind shot over the hill all be it with the best line to the green.

Landing zone;

The view from the top of said dunes blocking your view from the right rough;

9 -The 9th is a mid-length par 4 legging left with another cape drive, semi-blind too. Bunkers protect the inside of the dog leg and holding the fairway could be difiicult with is slight hogs back and the prevailing wind knocking balls to the right. Another good green similar to the 6th, beware of the flag position and club selection as it looks like there could be as much as 3-4 clubs difference between front and back flags.

10 -Short and sweet the 10th is a cracking driveable par 4. Carry the bunker and/or use the slope to the right to feed the ball into the small but devilish green.

11 -Short and sweet followed by the most defended green on the course. 11 is a stout par 3 surrounded by pot bunkers and exposed to the strong prevailing wind blowing across the hole from the right.

12 -Another cracker. A big drive into a natural valley to another obscured but not totally blind fairway which is rather tight starts the hole. The tight fairways could regarded as one of the faults with the course in its current state. There are numerous spots with obvious areas for expansion to what are likely the original lines that have been left to grow into rough. Down in the fairway you are left with a long approach up to a fantastically sited green tucked into the dunes. Another cool green with little hidden swales that appear as you approach it.

Tee

Fairway

Green;

13 -The 13th will divide people. The site of the famous Widow bunker which is no longer there, the hole plays up to the top of the dune line to a blind fairway before descending down to the green. Driveable but dangerous I’d like to see the lower right side which is now long rough cut back into fairway as it looks like once was…?

Green from short right;

14 -Another pillbox protects the inside of the dogleg on the 14th along with yet another obscured cape fairway line. Plenty of room to expand this fairway…. The par 5 continues to turn left with a water hazard cutting into the hole. A super green is nestled between low dunes forming another gully/mini punchbowl where the banks can be utilised to your advantage.

Green from the left;

14A -Having walked up to the tee I was pleased to say we were to have the chance to play the courses spare hole, though an original Simpson hole. The par 3 14A plays over the water feature skirting the left of 14 to a well-protected green with bunkers cutting in from left and right. The right tests your control on the prevailing wind…again.

Leaving the front of the tee;

The green;

15 -A long par 4 which sees us tee off over the water inlet which also crosses the 6th and return in earnest to the flatter land. Though the use of a sneaky hidden two tier fairway provides plenty of interest. Another gully like green site.

Tee;

Approach;

16 -The hole that both replaced 14A and was replaced by 14A on our visit. A nice looking par 3 with an interesting green but on first glance I was glad to be playing 14A.

17 -The 17th tees off along the edge of the large lake that leads back to the clubhouse which is attractively framed over the water. Another solid long 4 that can form part of a tough closing run if the winds decides to ignore its usual prevailing self.

18 -As with 17, 18 is a stout 4 that continues to see the course run out of steam a little. That said another interesting greens make the hole far from drab.

I was really impressed by Hayling. It doesn’t attract too much interest from the vast majority but I’d say it was well worth a visit.

My visit to Hayling also see my admiration of Tom Simpson continue to rise. As far as I can tell he really was exceptionally good, it seems such a pity so little of his work remains unchanged.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:02:19 AM by Tom Kelly »

David_Tepper

Re: Tom Simpson's Hayling Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 02:24:19 PM »
I like the look of the clubhouse!

http://www.haylinggolf.co.uk/

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »
Looks similar to the oft vilified Castle Stuart clubhouse.  I personally like the nautical theme. 

Years ago I passed on a visit to Hayling Island because my snobbish London hosts said, "oh, Hayling Island?  No one goes there (sniff)."   From the looks of the photos I wish I had gone anyway. 

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 03:56:12 AM »
A threadjack, but only fools vilify the Castle Stuart clubhouse. A fine building, totally in keeping with its seaside location. There is a close connection between Art Deco and the seaside in Britain.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 09:49:09 AM »
A threadjack, but only fools vilify the Castle Stuart clubhouse. A fine building, totally in keeping with its seaside location. There is a close connection between Art Deco and the seaside in Britain.

I seem to recall a good number of fools disliking that clubhouse at Castle Stuart, I guess because it didn't look like the classic London clubhouse.  The house at Rye has a somewhat nautical look as well.  Also apologize for the thread jack.   

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 11:01:10 AM »
Thanks for posting this Tom.

I've heard over the years about the qualities of the current 13th hole but could someone please enlighten us about previous incarnations of the hole especially about the NLE 'Widow' bunker?

Atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 11:49:50 AM »
I'd like to know more about the history of the Widow too. It's a famous hole - John Morrison told Hugh Alison in a letter - when the latter was living in South Africa after WW2 - that Simpson had turned the Widow into 'the worst hole on any seaside links'. Which is worthy of attention for sure. But I know next to nothing about how the hole has been developed.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 05:23:33 AM »
The club history gives 1933 as the date of Simpson's alterations: http://www.haylinggolf.co.uk/club_history

The 1983 Centenary booklet has outlines of the course in 1909 and 1983. There are very few similarities between the courses.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »
A great afternoon on the links, thank you Paul.

As so often happens you sit in the Clubhouse hoping the windows are waterproof and listening to your host telling you that the sea is really just the other side of the first green, if only you could see that far.  Then somewhat reluctantly and ever so slowly you go downstairs (all the best clubhouses have their main room upstairs), pull on the waterproofs and yet only three holes later you are sweating as the sun unexpectedly comes out. Welcome to Links golf.

Hayling was known to me from my Windsurfing days and although all Seaside courses get wind, there’s a reason why the A3 attracts droves of Kitesurfers (these days) down from London  every weekend.  We saw her on a relatively benign day but there’s no doubt the wind blows there and the course changes direction much more than one is used to on the Links.    To it’s advantage it was hard to find direct comparisons with other courses.     Only after refection did I think here’s a little bit of Littlestone on the flatter holes, with unusual fairway definition and doglegs, and there’s even a pond near the end. The greens are on the large side with just enough interest, though perhaps not quite as subtle. The finishing hole reminded me a little of Aberdovey’s and the drive over the hill 13th, could happily fit in at Ellie even if finding the perfect line is a something like threading a needle.

It’s a truism to say it but her reputation would be so much higher if there were more Links to attract the touring golfer nearby.  But any trip that included Liphook, Stoneham and Hayling would put a smile on the face of the discerning golfer.

PS the Clubhouse is new and it gets my vote.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Paul Gray

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »
I'd like to know more about the history of the Widow too. It's a famous hole - John Morrison told Hugh Alison in a letter - when the latter was living in South Africa after WW2 - that Simpson had turned the Widow into 'the worst hole on any seaside links'. Which is worthy of attention for sure. But I know next to nothing about how the hole has been developed.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.finegolf.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Hay.widow_.440.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.finegolf.co.uk/golf-courses/hayling/&h=243&w=440&tbnid=oMLuLFGVn4KB-M:&docid=EB2-RiUY9D1-fM&ei=sSLmVb7_HsvW7Aa785CYBA&tbm=isch&ved=0CCAQMygAMABqFQoTCP6bhLft1scCFUsr2woduzkEQw

The widow bunker, it's fair to say, would have been far more daunting back in the days of hickory shafts. Nowadays, were it still in play, I suspect the 160 yard carry from the white markers wouldn't worry the average club golfer. That though, of course, isn't the point. It's a piece of history now sadly missing from the course, the reason being that it gave way in 1970 whilst a lad was playing a shot from it, causing him to sink completely into the hazard and risk suffication. Fortunately, a few local doctors happened to be on the course at the time and, with the assistance of a number of other bystanders, were able to save the boy from death. It was then inevitably stablised, grassed over and now sits as rough ground.

I have something of an adverse reaction to committees or members who think you improve a golf course through the promotion of eye candy. In the case of the widow bunker, given its historic standing and the fact that it would still provide a test for players of a certain level, I'd be very happy to make an exception. It's on my list.  ;)

To answer Thomas' question, the green used to be similarly off to the right but somewhat short of the current sight. Much of the course was tweaked by Simpson during his second visit (post war) as WW2 had seen much of the course given over to the military.

PS: GCA visitors always welcome. Drop me a PM if you fancy inviting yourself. It was a shame that the course was so green for Tony and Tom's visit as you inevitably get the best out of the more subtle undulations when it's good and brown. Unfortunately, August has been a wash out. Nonetheless, they both seemed suitably pleased with their day out and will hopefully get the opportunity to return when it's baked dry at some point in the future. .
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:12:20 PM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 09:52:25 PM »
Don't know Hayling, but it and Simpson have a YouTube fan.

https://youtu.be/x5kVKcWNjok?si=ZsE0U68cKvD_tKCZ
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 07:09:02 PM »
Thanks for posting the link. I'll be visiting Hayling in two weeks. I've been planning this trip for ages and am  really excited to also be playing Royal Ashdown, Hindhead, Liphook, Pulborough, Rye, Princes, and Deal.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2023, 11:09:20 PM »
I had an enjoyable day at Hayling last week, but it didn't live up to the video that Garland linked above. It  also had some tough competition as I played Rye and Deal on the trip.

Here's a link to photos of all 18 holes: [size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72177720311315110[/size]

Some of my favorite holes were:

#3, a 400 yard dogleg right with a blind tee shot

Hayling #3  aim for the striped pole

Hayling #3

#8, a 350 yard par 4 with a dangerous tee shot and a semi blind approach shot over a dune

Hayling #8

Hayling #8 approach

#10, a 270 yard, slightly uphill par 4 that my playing partner drove

Hayling #10  short par 4

Hayling #10

#11, a 150 yard par 3

Hayling #11  par 3

Hayling #11

#12, a long, tough par 4

Hayling #12 from tee

Hayling #12

#13, a 340 par 4 requiring a precise drive toward a dune (with fall offs left and right), with a good drive leaving a short downhill approach to a cool green

Hayling #13

Hayling #13

#17, a long (450 yard) par 4 with a pond left and strategic bunkers. Tough hole. Unfortuantely, I don't have a photo of the green side bunkers

Hayling #17

Hayling #17

The Castle Stuartish Clubhouse

Hayling #18 club house left of fairway

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back