News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

North East Ireland
« on: August 27, 2015, 05:23:02 AM »
I'm going to a wedding in Antrim in mid-September.  I'll have a Friday free for golf.  Is it worth the expense to play RCD or Portrush?  Where else should I consider?  This will be my first experience of golf in Ireland.

Ed Tilley

Re: North East Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:25:37 AM »
The Valley Course at Portrush is one of the most underrated courses on the planet - a very fine course in its own right. At £42.50 in the week it is fantastic value. Personally I would play there rather than pay £160 for the Dunluce. Royal County Down is amazing but it's expensive and a bit of a drive from Antrim. Portstewart is the other main option in Antrim but it is £110 and I don't think it's significantly better than the Valley Course. I haven't played Castlerock so can't really offer an opinion on that.

I would therefore recommend the Valley but if you aren't going to be in the area again you may want to play RCD or Dunluce as they are genuinely great courses which you'll remember long after you've forgotten the green fee.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 06:29:37 AM »

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:55:04 AM »
Mark, personally I think Ed has it summed up. Pound for pound the Valley is hard to beat - plus (IMO) it is worth seeing the Valley 5th and 6th in their own cool little dune pocket before they disappear in the cause of alteration of Dunluce for the Open.

Castlerock is v decent golf and the 9 hole Bann course there is a lot of fun as well (see Thomas Dai's thread on the latter). V friendly clubhouse at Castlerock. Think you can play the 27 holes as a visitor for about GBP 85.

If pushing the boat out I'd lean towards RCD over Dunluce (and pretty much RCD over anywhere I've seen for that matter, so no relection on Dunluce). If you have a full day at hand the travel to RCD shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Wherever you end up, enjoy - and let us know what you think.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 08:13:18 AM »
Both at Portrush. The Valley is really fun.
RCD by far and away the best IMO
Portsteward has a great front nine. Amazing view from the first tee.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tom Kelly

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 08:44:56 AM »
Check what work is going on at Portrush.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 09:11:09 AM »
First experience of golf in Ireland and only one day--I would say that RCD or Portrush are definitely worth it. RCD is such a great golf course, experience, piece of land...

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 09:24:58 AM »
Check what work is going on at Portrush.

Yes, you need to know if the Valley is even open to visitors...they are using some of the land from the Valley to build two new holes for the Dunluce....

Bart

Ed Tilley

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 09:36:54 AM »
First experience of golf in Ireland and only one day--I would say that RCD or Portrush are definitely worth it. RCD is such a great golf course, experience, piece of land...

Thinking about it, I would play the Valley BECAUSE I have already played RCD and Dunluce and can't justify the cost of playing either again. If you aren't going back to that area anytime soon then you probably have to play one of them. I would recommend RCD over Dunluce anyday. However, you are in Antrim and you could play both the Dunluce and the Valley so it is a close call.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 09:47:16 AM »
Mark -

If you can't get on the Valley course at Portrush, Castlerock is well worth playing and could be just as good.

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 10:03:15 AM »
Mark -

If you can't get on the Valley course at Portrush, Castlerock is well worth playing and could be just as good.

DT

Agree with David, I played both after the Walker Cup in 2007 and enjoyed both about equally.  We didn't play the Dunluce because the tee sheet was full for a week but found the Valley and Castlerock to be charming, challenging and fun. 

John Cowden

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 12:20:28 AM »
Playing both Valley and Dunluce in two weeks' time.  The only "work" I was cautioned about was aeration the day after playing Dunluce. 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 05:57:54 AM »
Both RCD and Portrush Dunluce are bucket list courses.  It may come down to practicalities as last time I checked Portrush (in Antrim) didn't allow visitors after 12pm on Friday on the main course but RCD did allow Sunday PM play. If you have time to sightsee there's more of interest in the Portrush area.

I've yet to enjoy any hole more than playing the 9th at RCD but...with an Open coming up my preference would be to experience Portrush Dunluce prior to seeing the world's greatest tournament take place over it.

Agree with all the reccomendations re Valley, Castlerock and Portstewart. Enjoy the trip.
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Davis

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 06:13:52 AM »
If I'm not mistaken Portrush is being worked on now, which means both courses will have hindrances due to construction so make sure to check that.

I'd definitely say given that to go do 36 at RCD. Arguably the best links course in the world. Then jump on the newly renovated short course there after lunch. Can't beat that day. Given Portrush is being worked on it's a no brainer.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 07:12:03 AM »
I'd be one who might consider the Valley excellent but not a must and think it gets a little too much love on this website... meaning your expectations may end up a little high.

On the other hand the Dunluce has unquestionably the best set of greens in Ireland and is a special course.

The Valley has some wonderful holes and is a fantastic second course but it doesn't merit elevating to a level above any number of other excellent second tier links courses in Ireland.

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 10:28:45 AM »
I think you need to call in sick and extend your stay a couple days!  RCD is a must play.  Might as well bang it out while you're in the hood.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Carl Nichols

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 01:36:20 PM »
Is Antrim that much closer to Portrush than Newcastle?  I thought I drove through it and that it's close to the Belfast airport?  Or is there some other place also called Antrim?

In any event, if it were me, I'd play RCD:  it's a world top 10 course and it's geographically a bit off by itself, which makes it perfect in my mind for a single play.  (In contrast, the Dunluce course has the Valley, Portstewart, and Castlerock very close--so you might end up there in the future playing all of them.)   

Jay Mickle

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 01:58:53 PM »
 RCD is at its most majestic in the spring so if in the future you may get back to play RCD when the gorse is in bloom then go to Portrush. If it is the best course you want then RCD, best value Valley. All will be fine new experiences.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Simon Holt

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 02:25:24 PM »
Hi Mark,

If you are talking about mid-September this year the two biggies might be booked up.  Last time I tried to book RCD they told me mid-October before they had a slot.  Portrush might have something.

While I'm on that, for general info of anyone booking some of the marquee courses in 2016, its looking like a record breaking year.  Muirfield booked solid from early May to mid-September already as an example.

Back to your question though - RCD or Portrush are both worth every penny and are head and shoulders above everything else in terms of quality.

Simon

2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 04:21:31 PM »
Carl, Portrush is in the county of Antrim. I assumed Mark meant county rather than town... Only he can answer that of course.

Jay, RCD is equally beautiful right now when the heather is in bloom. Spring for the yellow. Autumn for the purple.

Personally, I think Portrush might just be a better course than RCD. I could argue it either way.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »
There's a 9-holer between Portrush and the Giants Causeway called Bushfoot GC at Portballintrae/Bushmills that I was told was worth playing if you have a just an hour or two to spare. I never had the time to play there though. Anyone played it?
Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
yes-pretty good-not great-some links,
decent as an emergency 9
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Cowden

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 10:51:56 AM »
Bon voyage, GCA!  Starting Saturday:  Pormarnock New, The Island, Baltray, Pormarnock Old, Portrush Valley, Portrush Dunluce, Castlerock, Dunluce, Ardglass, RCD, RCD.  Then off to Heidelberg and five days of great golf and fun times with the Solheim Cup.  I'm delighted Julie is downplaying the rah-rah and upplaying the golf.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 09:55:39 PM »
Jay, RCD is equally beautiful right now when the heather is in bloom. Spring for the yellow. Autumn for the purple.
Thanks for a another great reason to return.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

RJ_Daley

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 11:04:04 PM »
Bon voyage, GCA!  Starting Saturday:  Pormarnock New, The Island, Baltray, Pormarnock Old, Portrush Valley, Portrush Dunluce, Castlerock, Dunluce, Ardglass, RCD, RCD.  Then off to Heidelberg and five days of great golf and fun times with the Solheim Cup.  I'm delighted Julie is downplaying the rah-rah and upplaying the golf.

Outstanding itinerary! ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back